A41 Bicester again B&Q truck under Bridge

You can’t do it when you B&Q it
He got stuck under the Black thorn bridge (15ft) on the A41

Sent from my truck

Least he had the sense to go slow and not ram in it.
I think he could reverse it out with minimal damage.

Looking at the graphics it’s a newish trailer too, though without seeing the trailer number it’s difficult to tell how old it is, but for example if it’s DD5201> it’s around 1 year old and if it’s DD7000> it’s brand new

Massive fine heading B&Q’s way as well as a big fine and hopefully a revocation of the drivers vocational licence.

Maybe advertising does work? Perhaps he bought into the slogan on the side of the curtain? :laughing:

Grumpy_old_trucker:
Massive fine heading B&Q’s way as well as a big fine and hopefully a revocation of the drivers vocational licence.

I disagree.
Could well just be a new driver thrown in at the deep end.
Think it would be most unfair just to take a newbies licence away for one mistake.

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I disagree.
Think it would be most unfair just to take a newbies licence away for one mistake.

Fear of a permanent ban from this forum forbids me from stating how pathetic your post is!

Grumpy_old_trucker:

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I disagree.

Fear of a permanent ban from this forum forbids me from stating how pathetic your post is!

That so called newbie past at least 5 road signs stating bridge height and hit bridge right by a purpose built turning area

Sent from my truck

Grumpy_old_trucker:

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I disagree.

Say what is on your mind.

I am only speculating on who the driver is and his level of experience.
I think when possible, people should be given a 2nd chance.

For example. If this guy was a completely fresh pass and B&Q just gave him a DD trailer with no actual training then I’d say most of the fault lies with B&Q.
I dont think he should lose his licence over it.

blue estate:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I disagree.

That so called newbie past at least 5 road signs stating bridge height and hit bridge right by a purpose built turning area

You have beaten me to it bluey, there is no excuse at all
Sent from my truck

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I disagree.

Say what is on your mind.

I am only speculating on who the driver is and his level of experience.
I think when possible, people should be given a 2nd chance.

For example. If this guy was a completely fresh pass and B&Q just gave him a DD trailer with no actual training then I’d say most of the fault lies with B&Q.
I dont think he should lose his licence over it.

You can’t educate pork!

Bloke in the DAF is probably telling him to back up, screw round and crack on.

blue estate:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I disagree.

Sent from my truck

So what we’re saying if it’s not a newbie is that by other definition an experienced driver has passed five height warnings and a purpose built turning area before hitting the bridge.

Not sure what depot this is from, Swindon perhaps, which I’ve not been to, but having been to others as a visiting driver there’s certainly a very very high presence of anything that can warn of heights for vehicles being in place…

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I disagree.

Apparently it was a driver with driver trainer in the cab with him :open_mouth:

DAF95XF:
Apparently it was a driver with driver trainer in the cab with him :open_mouth:

Don’t believe that buddy. Sounds like drivercrap to me. I’ll be happy (or very despairing :smiley: :smiley: ) to be proved wrong.

toonsy:
Not sure what depot this is from, Swindon perhaps, which I’ve not been to, but having been to others as a visiting driver there’s certainly a very very high presence of anything that can warn of heights for vehicles being in place…

Which says everything about the standard of driver they employ, the Swindon depot is wallpapered in safety posters so much so that after a while it is exactly that wallpaper and no one notices it.
General rule of thumb the more safety posters up in a depot the more accidents they seem to have, employ drivers who can check trailer heights and know how to hook into trailers and you’ll cut your accident rate far quicker than a few cheap posters will.

Mazzer2:

toonsy:

Which says everything about the standard of driver they employ, the Swindon depot is wallpapered in safety posters so much so that after a while it is exactly that wallpaper and no one notices it.
General rule of thumb the more safety posters up in a depot the more accidents they seem to have, employ drivers who can check trailer heights and know how to hook into trailers and you’ll cut your accident rate far quicker than a few cheap posters will.

But posters are cheaper than better drivers… and the company have “highlighted the dangers” they are then free to screw the driver rather than seeking the root cause.

Until firms discontinue this race to the bottom it will carry on. And its not just about rates, it’s also about being safe in the knowledge that they’ll just fill the seat again the next shift with one phone call.

I sincerely hope I never find myself in this position. We’ve all had moments of madness. I’ve stopped not long after fuelling up because I couldn’t remember putting the filler cap for example, I’ve also been borderline on a few bridges but because of that I stopped, checked the measurements again and cracked on after making sure I was fine to go. Common sense.

One of our rigids had he front of its cab ripped off in the yard the other night after the shunter (agency) screwed a trailer with a moffett on the back round and neglected the tailswing - at quite some licks judging by the damage. They use agency because they can’t get full time people at the moment as the pay rates are lower than others in the area. Even agency rates are lower than others so you end up with worst specimens rather than being able to choose. The “fleet manager” was telling me about it and my answer was if you pay peanuts you’ll end up with monkeys which he wasn’t keen on but its true.

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I disagree.

Depends which field in EE he drove his tractor round to get said licence.

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I disagree.

It could be a new driver or a new agency driver, I’ve seen them doing a lot of assessments at Swindon in recent months.
It’s likely that the Renault truck is a hire truck running out of Swindon, and won’t have microlise fitted.
I’ve only seen Redhouse and Branston with the odd Renault and I doubt that they’ll be in that neck of the wood unless it’s a depot to depot trunk/cycle load.
Ironically the Swindon transport office have loads of posters around the front desk promoting bridge bashing awareness. All the B&Q/XPO transport offices have recently been pushing the microlise system recently, and the use of the installed mapping and not deviating off route, if you deviate you automatically get to explain the reasons why to the shift manager when you return to the yard

peirre:
Looking at the graphics it’s a newish trailer too, though without seeing the trailer number it’s difficult to tell how old it is, but for example if it’s DD5201> it’s around 1 year old and if it’s DD7000> it’s brand new

Oops DD7125
Some posted news vid on FB and I could make out the number above

Sent from my truck