Running Bent.

Good story about driver reporting manager for running bent.

youtube.com/watch?v=fQL2tDM5luo

He has quite a few good videos about magnet use etc.

If he…

Checked every paddywagon going, he’d stop Ireland quicker than Brexit, Bo-Jo or Von der Layen ever could.

I’ve noticed DVSA out at Todhills every night this week. Car parked at side of motorway usually around J43-44 on M6. Couple of usual suspects including a Morgan McLernon parked up in the inspection area most nights, tyre fitter vans seemed to be a common sight too. Also saw them tugging a McLernons into the VOSA checkpoint at the junction just south of Wetherby too around 9pm the other night.

Culina might now own them but I guess they’ve still got the same drivers and some of them incapable of breaking the bad habits.

It was interesting to see those manipulation devices.

The key thing he said “stop being a ■■■■■ and bending over for your managers because they will sh*t on you”
If your boss is trying give you more than you can do just bring it back.

Looks like some interesting vids on their YT channel. One thing confused me about that particular vid, they way he talked sounded as if he was doing unannounced visits to companies, which made it sound like TCTS were an official organization, but as far as I can see they’re a private company.

I may be wrong but I think someone like TCTCS is hired by big companies.
Then they go to the sites of the company and carry out inspections.

Seriously? The director of the company ‘suspects’ his trucks are running bent? He protests too much. I suspect he suspects a forthcoming investigation, and is trying to hang the transport manager out to dry.
Surely a cursory look at most recent card downloads and comparison with route is all that is needed? Either way, if illegal running is ever proved, the CPC holder, the drivers, and the directors are in the dock.
Who isn’t sick of the speeding, people-smuggling lunatics from over the water thrashing down our roads. Hope they are caught sooner rather than later.

adam277:
I may be wrong but I think someone like TCTCS is hired by big companies.
Then they go to the sites of the company and carry out inspections.

Zac_A:
Looks like some interesting vids on their YT channel. One thing confused me about that particular vid, they way he talked sounded as if he was doing unannounced visits to companies, which made it sound like TCTS were an official organization, but as far as I can see they’re a private company.

Reckon youre right, here is their site [tctsgroup.com/about-us/](http://www.tctsgroup.com/about-us/) The blue/silver badge and bold black/white chequered band on the hi-vis makes an impression though doesnt it?

Mr Smyth was an employee of DVSA / Vosa whatever you want to call them a few years ago. He was based at a time in Carlisle . There are a few stories around about the exact reason as to why he left his job - none of which I’ll repeat . He now owns TCTS and a transport company can employ his organisation to come in and in simple terms - keep you on the right side of the law , tacho analisis , fleet inspections , maintenance provider inspections audits etc etc . They also provide training and driver hire .

I can always remember the drivers giving it the large one on the ferries by saying how they were heroes for running bent on analog round paper disc tachos , with their antics of one hitters from the UK to Malaga, Gibraltar or Milan , the funny thing is , due to nervous breakdowns and burn outs , you never saw them again .
As these drivers were on trip money ,the lack of sleep got to them , their trucks had a fuse or wire to drive while the tachograph was on rest mode , some inventive types had hidden buttons and switches in their coffee percolators or hidden in the dashboard somewhere.
Unfortunately the foreign police intercepted their CB radio chat on how they were running bent and were waiting for them to contribute to coffee money .

Tarmaceater:
I can always remember the drivers giving it the large one on the ferries by saying how they were heroes for running bent on analog round paper disc tachos , with their antics of one hitters from the UK to Malaga, Gibraltar or Milan , the funny thing is , due to nervous breakdowns and burn outs , you never saw them again .
As these drivers were on trip money ,the lack of sleep got to them , their trucks had a fuse or wire to drive while the tachograph was on rest mode , some inventive types had hidden buttons and switches in their coffee percolators or hidden in the dashboard somewhere.
Unfortunately the foreign police intercepted their CB radio chat on how they were running bent and were waiting for them to contribute to coffee money .

In my experience most of those who shouted loudest about rubbing bent were the ones who mostly never have

Tarmaceater:

Aye.
No need for much effort from the police: bunch of cops at Castets on a Monday night,
“Ferry ticket please”…
“Cherbourg?”
“You can pay “X” amount now, or we look closely at your cards”.
Over 800km and next to no motorway…Didn`t matter how “clever” a fiddle they were on really.

switchlogic:
In my experience most of those who shouted loudest about rubbing bent were the ones who mostly never have

Please Luke, don`t post that in an HD video!
:smiley:

I got pulled or got a tug by the much feared and dreaded Basque police or the red hats , as Luke said , your heart does sink when the law approaches you , well anyway, he checks my tachos and said it was impossible to get from Cherbourg to Victoria in so many hours as the police man does the same trip in his wobbly box or caravan, no fine though as I’m so good looking like a film star .
Mosses commercial vehicle enforcement( Catalan area of Spain) and the Basque are renowned for telephone number sized court deposits , of which you have the legal right to contest by appearing in court but no foreign drivers bother with due to time off work and legal costs if you lose .
I used to run European with no international permit and had no operating license but to get over that , I would have a bag of broken glass to throw in the passenger seat area when I got a tug .
When the old bill asked for the paperwork, I would say it has been stolen by someone who broke in and smashed the window, without the paperwork they couldn’t detain me and fine me , as the money to pay the fine was “stolen “ , after an hour of arguing and shouting they always gave in and let me go with no fine .
I used to be use a bamboo stick with a mug attached to the end to pay for the tolls , to save getting out the cab in a RHD truck, the mug had a crocodile clip with the toll entry ticket attached to it and the toll staff would put my change in the mug .

Tarmaceater:
I got pulled or got a tug by the much feared and dreaded Basque police or the red hats , as Luke said , your heart does sink when the law approaches you , well anyway, he checks my tachos and said it was impossible to get from Cherbourg to Victoria in so many hours as the police man does the same trip in his wobbly box or caravan, no fine though as I’m so good looking like a film star .
Mosses commercial vehicle enforcement( Catalan area of Spain) and the Basque are renowned for telephone number sized court deposits , of which you have the legal right to contest by appearing in court but no foreign drivers bother with due to time off work and legal costs if you lose .
I used to run European with no international permit and had no operating license but to get over that , I would have a bag of broken glass to throw in the passenger seat area when I got a tug .
When the old bill asked for the paperwork, I would say it has been stolen by someone who broke in and smashed the window, without the paperwork they couldn’t detain me and fine me , as the money to pay the fine was “stolen “ , after an hour of arguing and shouting they always gave in and let me go with no fine .
I used to be use a bamboo stick with a mug attached to the end to pay for the tolls , to save getting out the cab in a RHD truck, the mug had a crocodile clip with the toll entry ticket attached to it and the toll staff would put my change in the mug .

And the policeman always wondered how you had managed to replace the broken glass with no money and to get exactly the same date of manufacture etched into the glass. :imp:

No mate, I would take the fuse out for the window and hide it , so when I know I would get pulled I would put the passenger window down so the broken window was never replaced as a new one .

Franglais:
Aye.
No need for much effort from the police: bunch of cops at Castets on a Monday night,
“Ferry ticket please”…
“Cherbourg?”
Over 800km and next to no motorway…Didn`t matter how “clever” a fiddle they were on really.

Franglais, I’m surprised with you.

Methinks you have been dragging the task out a bit which absolutely isn’t a problem as long as you don’t start saying the others are cheating or illegal.

Castets is easily done in 10 hours drive from Cherbourg especially if you want to use a bit of ferry interruption although not required in Covid times. Dual carriage way for first hour and a half and all motorway thereafter so 90K almost all the way.

Finding a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ in a fully serviced area after Bordeaux is the tricky part rather than at the Aire as I like my hot shower and my coffee in the morning after a decent shift.

Hurryup&wait:

Franglais:
Aye.
“Ferry ticket please”…
“Cherbourg?”

Franglais, I’m surprised with you.

Methinks you have been dragging the task out a bit which absolutely isn’t a problem as long as you don’t start saying the others are cheating or illegal.

Castets is easily done in 10 hours drive from Cherbourg especially if you want to use a bit of ferry interruption although not required in Covid times. Dual carriage way for first hour and a half and all motorway thereafter so 90K almost all the way.

Finding a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ in a fully serviced area after Bordeaux is the tricky part rather than at the Aire as I like my hot shower and my coffee in the morning after a decent shift.

This was in the 90’s…National single carriageway from Cherbourg to Avranches.
And what is the truck speed limit in France on a dual carriageway now? (Non motorway)
What speed do the black cameras on the stretch between Rennes and Nantes trigger?
Tut tut indeed, to you sir! [emoji3]
Be careful.

Running bent, heavy, quick, out of hours or combination of, were the best times of my career. The job’s too easy now, no challenge at all.

I have not written my post very well , so here goes : Hear on the C.B that the weigh bridge is open or the red caps are out and about , if they are, they stand in the roadside and wave you in for a control .
Next ; Wind down my passenger window by pressing the window down button, then throw my bag of glass down, the passenger window was never broken as they see the broken glass , not once did they even ask me to press the window up button, so my original window was never broken and replaced.( Has they see evidence of a cab break in )
The other bug bear was foreign customs and police taking your passport when the passport belongs to the Queen and the state and it is not the property of foreign law enforcement to keep it until their fine has been paid .
The other issue is they sometimes asked for a crime reference form so I would have to say no time to report it .