The Direct Vision Standard?

Hello All,

Just been looking in to this Direct Vison Standard thing on the internet, and i see it been put back to March 1st now, just wondering what is the minimum requirements ? i read it’s done on a star rating and you have to apply for a permit, any recommendations on systems etc

If this has another thread which has been talked about before, sorry and if you could a link to the topic started that would be great …

Thanks.

Double post deleted.

You have to apply for the permit.

Vehicles need to have the following minimum as I understand it.

Kerb mirror and front blind spot mirror. Nearside camera system, audible left turn alert and near side proximity sensors down the nearside. And side protection bars on both sides.

So the addition of proximity sensors and nearside camera and audible left turn alert should be enough to be granted a permit once the vehicles are compliant in all those aspects in theory.

All the rest of the info is here I’ve only quickly looked over it so there may be more to it.

tfl.gov.uk/info-for/deliveries- … s-vehicles

We have recently had the extra proximity sensors nearside cameras and audible alert system fitted to our trucks on the whole fleet.

Hello All,

Does the trailer have to have camera’s fitted also for minimum standards ?

Free at the minute :open_mouth: but how long until they charge ,Fors was free at first for so many years then the charges started that’s when I dropped out and just had the stickers on anyway until they realised :laughing:

Hello All,

To be honest we don’t really go in to London that much so that’s why i was asking about minimum needed, i would say how long before all the other cities start doing it, with a small fee to register etc … :cry:

Our lot have just paid £600+ each for 6 trucks, to be Done just so we can go into Khan’s Caliphate, and Bicycleists, can hear the big smelly lorry, instead of being able to bloody we’ll see it whilst coming up the inside,as you turn left…

Khan is a bloody menace, the sooner he gets voted out the better, trouble is it’s all the ethnicity that vote for him.

Ghost01:
Hello All,

Does the trailer have to have camera’s fitted also for minimum standards ?

I believe in our case 1 nearside camera is adequate although our newest shop trailers have been fitted with side proximity sensors as well. We’ve had them over a year now but none of the units as far as I know have been wired for pulling such trailers and most of our are older hired/leased trailers.

your y need beware cyclists don’t pass blindspot sticker on the back door
a huge sticker down the near side of your trailer warning cyclists its dangerous.

and also one of these flashing lights with a bicycle in a circle flashing when you indicate incase they don’t see you again(not sure about that as cant see it on website)
plus a very loud audible warning.

or better still just cover your truck trailer in hundrerds of flashing yellow lights and hi viz paint and stickeres just to be safe
all fair enough what do cyclists need ? answer on a postcard please as i cant think of anything
but not the cyclists have to worry about these days is them stupid e scooters. there so fast and just appear from noware

being serious for a min with this direct vision and other schemes low emission zones etc.

its a case of follow our rules on safety features etc
fair enough i get all that there trying to protect the public/make the air cleaner or what ever.

but what i hate is they then say no its ok if you don’t comply with the rules pay£100 fine and were turn a blind eye to you breaking the rules.
personally it should be there rules are there if you dont meet them you cant come in end of .if you do your get a huge fine and if you still don’t comply were have your truck impouned.

im not sticking up for kahn . far from it .
but my point is if your going to make rules to make it safer then enforce it and make people that don’t comply rather than turn a blind eye to it all

Ghost01:
i would say how long before all the other cities start doing it, with a small fee to register etc … :cry:

Birmingham and Bath are at least two places I’ve recently read about that are bringing in new schemes, though I wouldn’t claim this to be an exhaustive list, I’m certain others are likely to follow.

Zac_A:

Ghost01:
i would say how long before all the other cities start doing it, with a small fee to register etc … :cry:

Birmingham and Bath are at least two places I’ve recently read about that are bringing in new schemes, though I wouldn’t claim this to be an exhaustive list, I’m certain others are likely to follow.[/quote

Once the pandemic is over and things start to return to normal…yeh government is obviously going to need to make money…and it’s obvious to he motorist will be the easy target.
Be it through congestion charges etc more tax on fuel higher road tax and the like.

Mr Khan (communaty leader) only does things to get him votes, Direct vision helps get votes from Jeremy vines Cyclist brigade, and the tree huggers.

Agreed

What on earth happened to natural selection?

I would starve the ■■■■■■■■ out :stuck_out_tongue:

Sunblest.jpg

Is the PCN issued to the operator or the driver? I am not convinced our lot will get the mods done in time, if that was the case I should decide if I need to refuse to drive in after the deadline…

^^^^ the operator. I doubt that the driver would even get stopped, some camera would do the work and automatically generate a fine and post it to the operator.

Does any body actually have a link or a map of what area the standard covers.
Don’t want hear say.

I’ve been looking on tfl website and.all its saying is greater London.

So where can find the start rating system?
As found an article on scania website that says. You can get. A certictafe valid untill 2024 if you only meet 1 star requirement…how ever if you meet 5. Stars you can get a 10 year permit.

The official tfl website tells.you ■■■■ all.really.

And guessing were rated no stars as are trucks are standard ones about 3 years old no glass door panels no.cmaers or sensors

njl:
Is the PCN issued to the operator or the driver? I am not convinced our lot will get the mods done in time, if that was the case I should decide if I need to refuse to drive in after the deadline…

If you end up with an internal display of the cameras, be wary about switching the display off, especially when in a zone, heard talk of drivers facing large penalties for doing so but that would need confirming by someone up to date…the reason you’d turn the display off in the dark is that even dimmed down they like any other light source in the cab make it more difficult to see unlit objesct outside the glass due to reflections (try seeing into the dark past a light source), something those who came up with this latest wheeze never took into account, which is hardly suprising cos these suits have usually never done the job at all or for 5 minutes at best and never ever ask the people doing the job what any pitfalls might be :unamused:

edd1974:
Does any body actually have a link or a map of what area the standard covers.
Don’t want hear say.

I’ve been looking on tfl website and.all its saying is greater London.

From simcor’s link above I am taking this as the zone :

content.tfl.gov.uk/direct-vision … rd-map.pdf

Though I couldn’t open that from my phone for some reason, back home at the PC it’s fine