Cornwall to kent

from a lowly mortal to the driving gods i ask thee this (probably stupid) question.

driving a hgv from cornwall to kent, which is the better route?

m5>m4>m25

or

m5>a303>m25

cargo apps reckons is a hour longer via the m4 but i reckon it’d be a better drive. and i cant see how it could possibly be a hour further, being as the a303 is a much slower road, id think.

thoughts?

thanks guys :grimacing:

The A303 has a number of notorious bottle necks, such as Stonehenge. It’s mainly because of the frequent single carriage lane sections. And the only way to get onto the A303 from the M5 is either the very slow A30, or the A 358.

Take the scenic A303 if you’re light, and have the time to spare. Take the M5-M4-M25 if not.

It’s all in the distance and road works ,
A30/303 then M3/25 is far shorter than going all the way up to Bristol then all the way to M25 through 20miles of road works on M4 then fighting your way around to junction 12 where M3 joins any way

Sent from my truck

aye id agree with that, but from memory (10 years ago on a motorbike) the a303 is a PITA of a road…

qwakers:
aye id agree with that, but from memory (10 years ago on a motorbike) the a303 is a PITA of a road…

It certainly can be. Then again so can the alternative M4 etc route. Personally I’d go 303 just 'cos long motorway journeys are tedious. Again personally my decision would be shaped by time of day and also checking travel reports before setting off.

Six and two threes.

Timewise there isn’t a great deal of difference, if you go via the A303 then start off by heading up the M5 and then going down the A358 rather than going up the A30 from Exeter which is very steeply graded.

The A303 obviously requires a lot more input but it is a good driver’s road with far more places to stop, more facilities etc.

I’ve done this run hundreds of times and tended to prefer the A303 unless I was feeling particularly lazy.

Id go 303.
M4 has about 20 odd miles of roadworks from Reading to Slough and you are down to 50mph

msgyorkie:
Id go 303.
M4 has about 20 odd miles of roadworks from Reading to Slough and you are down to 50mph

i didnt know that.

that makes a difference. will go 303.

I always did the A303, M3 and M25 for North Kent coast area. But if you are heading for some parts of South Kent it might be worth heading for the M27/A27 and A259 if you like a scenic route.
(I live in 1066 country to has to be my favourite as it could get me a night home when I was tramping!)

Go 303 - A driver’s road

If you ever plan to motor East
Travel my way
Take the highway that’s the best
Get your kicks on Route 303

It winds from Emma’s Cafe to Micheldever
More than one hundred miles all the way
Get your kicks on Route 303

Martin:
I always did the A303, M3 and M25 for North Kent coast area. But if you are heading for some parts of South Kent it might be worth heading for the M27/A27 and A259

M27 v all the potential aggro between Camberley or Reading and Maidstone is a no brainer for anywhere South of Maidstone.Unless it’s a night run.

qwakers:
from a lowly mortal to the driving gods i ask thee this (probably stupid) question.

m5>m4>m25

or

m5>a303>m25

cargo apps reckons is a hour longer via the m4 but i reckon it’d be a better drive. and i cant see how it could possibly be a hour further, being as the a303 is a much slower road, id think.

thoughts?

303 every time, …well except for the time when there’s a mega hold up of course, then you go what I would call off route and go via M4.

More direct, more scenic, more pleasant than a ■■■■ motorway and deffo less boring.
And tbf who.gives a ■■■■ if it takes half an hour longer, if held up in bottlenecks, chill out man, the world ain’t gonna end if you’re a little late… :sunglasses:

It winds from Emma’s Cafe to Micheldever
More than one hundred miles all the way
It is now Max’s cafe.

robroy:

qwakers:

m5>m4>m25

or

m5>a303>m25

thoughts?

303 every time, …well except for the time when there’s a mega hold up of course, then you go what I would call off route and go via M4.

More direct, more scenic, more pleasant than a [zb] motorway and deffo less boring.
And tbf who.gives a [zb] if it takes half an hour longer, if held up in bottlenecks, chill out man, the world ain’t gonna end if you’re a little late… :sunglasses:

well, i will give a crap if i miss the last entry time at brands hatch and miss my trackday :grimacing:

From A to B…

It’s the 303.

Every time for me.

It’s the quickest you’ll see.

The road of glee.

Fiddle dee dee.

qwakers:

robroy:

qwakers:

m5>m4>m25

or

m5>a303>m25

thoughts?

More direct, more scenic, more pleasant than a [zb] motorway and deffo less boring.
And tbf who.gives a [zb] if it takes half an hour longer, if held up in bottlenecks, chill out man, the world ain’t gonna end if you’re a little late… :sunglasses:

well, i will give a crap if i miss the last entry time at brands hatch and miss my trackday :grimacing:

Your in a car ? I can’t believe your asking that question even !!

robthedog:

qwakers:

robroy:

qwakers:

m5>m4>m25

or

m5>a303>m25

thoughts?

Your in a car ? I can’t believe your even asking that question !!

hell no.

:open_mouth:

WTF is that?

Horse box?

race transporter with living accomadation