New speed limit on A66?

thehighlandscot:
It was just before Bernard castle. A digital works sign. It seems to only be heading eastbound.

I’m guessing the 69 will be the road of choice for the 10 year stretch. I would imagine they would shut it completely overnight rather than run diversions

All roadworks had been lifted last night as predicted. Still some 40MPH signs up for a short stretch of about half a mile near that junction on the SC section but nobody taking any notice.

No need to shut it overnight apart from maybe the odd few nights near the end of each section being completed. They posted the plans on Traffic England North East Division website the other week. Basically the new DC sections are running alongside the original single carriageway or looping round obstacles. For example where that 40 limit section we’ve been talking about is they’re looping round the back of the church, they’re looping to the north of Mainsgill Farm, they’re looping round the north side of Kirkby Thore and running a section on the old Roman Road at Warcop bends which will also nicely straighten out that section.

That means in the most part it’ll be completely separate new road they’re building and it’s only when they graft into the existing DC sections there’ll be closures. If the A1 to A1M upgrade from Leeming Bar to Scotch Corner and when they upgraded the A74 and A1 at Peterborough is anything to go by it won’t be that bad.

As whatever alternative you take, whether M62-M6 or A69, adds 40-45 minutes each way they’ll want to minimise the impact because of the grief adding an hour and a half to night trunks will cause. And yeah I know there were lots of closures on the A1 Leeming to Scotch but that was mostly caused by the major bridge work they had to do at Catterick, those two embankments they had trouble sorting slippage on and the actual junction upgrade at Scotch Corner.

Anyone got a spare five quid, I think I need to go buy a life. :laughing: