Class 1 driver clocked at 124mph in own car

Hi everyone, I’m a 22 year old Class 1 driver with 3 points already on my licence for speeding.
My reason for posting this thread is purely just to help anybody who is in the same situation that I was in as I couldn’t really find any answers for myself at the time.

So back in April I was one of the infamous lockdown speeders, I was clocked doing 124mph in my car on the A483 and I was stopped by a traffic cop, issued a ticket and I was told that my case would go straight to court, and rightly so.
So after around 6 weeks a letter came though the post stating to me what had happened and asked me to return the letter with a guilty/not guilt plea and if I’d like to appear in court to defend my case, obviously I wanted to give myself the best possible outcome so I asked to attend court and I sent a letter of remorse along with it. (which went a long way when I finally appeared in court)
After another long period of waiting I finally had my court date though for September 16th which is when the reality of what had happened started to set in. However 2 weeks before my court date I was told that my hearing had now been pushed back until the 25th of November.

Fast forward to my court date and I was given a two month driving ban. For anyone who is caught driving around 100mph the guidelines are for a 56 day ban. However in my case I was grossly in excess of the speed limit so the court has the right to ban me for much longer than 56 days, I was very lucky to be given such a short ban.
I was told that I would have to apply for a new licence before I could drive again and that the traffic commissioner would be notified to determine what would happen with my vocational licence. A few days after my court date a letter came though explaining how much I would have to pay out for my fine and a separate letter came through from the traffic commissioner stating that no further action would be taken and that I would be able to continue driving professionally once my ban was up and once I had re applied for my licence.

All in all, I think I got off very lightly and I can hand on heart say it will never happen again. Driving in this manner is simply not acceptable for anybody let alone a professional driver. I hope this helps anybody who is in a similar situation as I couldn’t find much information online for myself at the time. I would also like to stress that I was very fortunate not to be banned for a longer period of time and not to be called to a driver conduct hearing because usually in these circumstances this would happen. The traffic commissioner also had the power to ban me from driving professionally for longer than I was banned for driving my car, although this did not happen it is another thing to take into consideration.
Anyway, happy trucking!

Thanks for us having to now endure a 50MPH limit ■■■■■■. It’s thanks to all the people like you that there are now 50 limits on it.

Should have had your LGV entitlement revoked for ill repute at almost twice the speed limit.

Have you told your employer about this? You may find that you no longer have a job because their insurers won’t cover you. If you’re not already driving lorries for a living I’d not be planning on doing any time soon either once any prospective employer finds out about the ban.

Some Traffic Commissioners also speed…

For Whom the Beverley Bell Tolls - Part 1

youtube.com/watch?v=KFVZ3IAlnrU

Assuming this is genuine, doubtful, surprising you weren’t sent down given the percentage overspeed involved (unless a calibrated speedometer yours would be showing over 130mph possibly up to 140), wonder why the prosecutor didn’t appeal the sentence lookingh for a much longer ban especially given your class 1 professional road user credentials, from whom higher than typical standards of road use are expected.

Note for the future, improve your all round observation skills.

22 year old class 1 driver. Ok.

Caught at well over double the speed limit. Ok.

Let of with a 2 month ban. Mmmmmm.

No sanction from the T.C. yeah right.

TNCSI rests m’lord

I think the OP is saying they also have to take an extended driving test at the end of the 2 months, which can be quite a challenge,especially with the CV19 delays for tests.

carlston49:
Some Traffic Commissioners also speed…

For Whom the Beverley Bell Tolls - Part 1

youtube.com/watch?v=KFVZ3IAlnrU

Don’t try that at home kids…
commercialmotor.com/news/op … mmissioner

Conor:
Should have had your LGV entitlement revoked for ill repute at almost twice the speed limit.

I’m not certain that bad repute is applicable, it’s mainly in respect of O licence holders, but I’d certainly agree with your general view, but then again I’m not convinced the OP is genuine.

Conor:

Ok, twice the speed limit is wrong, a bit daft,.(arguably dangerous depending on the road and conditions of said road,) and all the rest of it, I get it.
However, nobody was harmed so I can only assume the road was dead at a certain time of night, so bearing that in mind who besides the Coppers and yourself actually care? :unamused: ,…

He got caught, it’s his own fault,.and reading his post he accepts that, and even panders and answers to the self righteous on here, by pointing out ‘‘how wrong’’ it was. :unamused:
I wouldn’t have bothered, but said it’s got ■■■■ all to do with anybody …but I don’t care what people who have no bearing on my life think of me anyway tbh, ■■■■ em.

If he was doing something equally as ‘‘wrong’’ while driving his truck, in the sense of using his vocational licence, then yeh, ban him chuck the book at him and all the rest of it, he wasn’t, he was in his own car in his own free leisure time.
The old adage of ‘Only being looked upon as a professional when you’ve done summet wrong’’ is true, if we are supposed to be paragons of virtue 24/7 and in our free time, then pay us accordingly,.and show us some respect instead of looking at us as second class citizens.
They can’t have it BOTH ways. :bulb:

I send a car on now and again, I admit it, if that offends I could not give a ■■■■.
In fact only last week I had a lapse of ‘grownupness’ when I found myself racing this boy racer (in my boy’s Audi) who had ■■■■■■ me off :blush: , …until reality kicked in and I thought to myself…‘‘Ffs Rob, how old are you exactly’’ :blush:
On the other hand I try and drive my truck professionally and responsibly, and conduct myself in the same way…two different ball games, two different scenarios.
I’ve got a clean licence because of the way I drive my truck, and despite the way I sometimes drive my car now and again…
You pay yer money, ya take yer chances, if I get caught speeding in my car, I accept that.

Can’t believe somebody who drives for a living would jeopardise their income by being an utter prat behind the wheel - obviously his company must be wondering why he is taking two months off.

Insurance company won’t be thrilled either, they tend to have a dislike for banned drivers.

Keeping an eye out doesn’t always work - I’m pretty sure that plod in my part of the world use an older Audi A4 estate slightly tired looking amongst others.

When I was 22 I was well known for being a bit rapid but then there wasn’t the technology or to be honest the stigma of speeders there is today.

I think the op got off lightly, lucky he didn’t get a six month.

Can’t believe the amount of you on here that are falling for this troll.
It’s one of the usual suspects and you fall for it every time!

Socketset:
Can’t believe somebody who drives for a living would jeopardise their income by being an utter prat behind the wheel - obviously his company must be wondering why he is taking two months off.

Insurance company won’t be thrilled either, they tend to have a dislike for banned drivers.

Keeping an eye out doesn’t always work - I’m pretty sure that plod in my part of the world use an older Audi A4 estate slightly tired looking amongst others.

When I was 22 I was well known for being a bit rapid but then there wasn’t the technology or to be honest the stigma of speeders there is today.

I think the op got off lightly, lucky he didn’t get a six month.

Indeed.

My point about observation was that when getting a shift on be wary of anything at all setting the same pace as you, in practice so long as you’ve seen them in a timely manner and taken appropriate speed adjustments (without putting others in danger via full bore braking), in other words showing some respect (especailly if you get stopped, don’t gob off :unamused: ), then nine times out of ten in my experience as someone still a trifle rapid in one of our cars in suitable places then the old bill will use some discretion…but if they manage to pace you at silly speeds without you spotting them then they’ll be annoyed with you for that reason alone cos you weren’t paying attention.
Mate of mine got an almighty bollocking off a copper for being on his hand held phone, copper was more annoyed that he was holding it to his right ear’ole up against the driver’s window, therefore taking the ■■■■ by not even attempting to hide it.

Pretty sure in years gone by i spotted an unmarked dull red base spec Sierra badged as 1.6L on the M1 round Bedfordshire area, was apparently a 2.8 4x4 under that innocent looking skin, they also use an unmarked Merc Vito MPV around here as one young blood found out when the hidden blue lights lit up.

Every one please say hello to the newest persona of our regular multi account keyboard warrior :wink:

Has to be a wind up, no 22 year old would be able to string that many paragraphs together with all the grammar in the right place and so many correctly spelled words.

Come on then trucker jack.

We are calling you out here…

Provide proof of your misdemeanour please , police ,court letter etc ,feel free to cover up personal info …

Over to you pal :exclamation:

Zac_A:

Conor:

I’m not certain that bad repute is applicable, it’s mainly in respect of O licence holders

It applies to vocational licence holders too (LGV/PCV). You can have one refused because of a criminal record or a consistent history of motoring offences even before you had a LGV/PCV licence.

Conor:

Zac_A:

Conor:

I’m not certain that bad repute is applicable, it’s mainly in respect of O licence holders

It applies to vocational licence holders too (LGV/PCV). You can have one refused because of a criminal record or a consistent history of motoring offences even before you had a LGV/PCV licence.

If they stopped everyone with a criminal record from driving lorries then there really would be a driver shortage! I’d say about 95% of class 1 drivers have been convicted of some sort of crime. Probably over 50% have served a bit of time.

You need to stop being so condemning. It’s a bit of speeding. In Germany, on some roads the coppers would have been overtaking him at those speeds to get their doughnuts. It’s not the smartest move admittedly. But it’s not the end of the world.

OP - good luck for the future. I’m sure you will find work - let’s hope it’s not in the same firm as Conor as he will no doubt burst into tears as the idea of having to share air time with a man of your ill repute. And he seems like he’d never let you forget it.

So much virtue signalling :open_mouth:

Yeah it was wrong, yeah he got done and (taking it at face value and not screaming multiple user :unamused: ) he sounds remorseful, regrets his actions and it will hit him in the pocket for a good while and thats on top of the fine.

Justice has been served.

worldsbestdriver:

Conor:

Zac_A:

Conor:

If they stopped everyone with a criminal record from driving lorries then there really would be a driver shortage! I’d say about 95% of class 1 drivers have been convicted of ⁷ sort of crime. Probably over 50% have served a bit of time.

You need to stop being so condemning. It’s a bit of speeding. In Germany, on some roads the coppers would have been overtaking him at those speeds to get their doughnuts. It’s not the smartest move admittedly. But it’s not the end of the world.

OP - good luck for the future. I’m sure you will find work - let’s hope it’s not in the same firm as Conor as he will no doubt burst into tears as the idea of having to share air time with a man of your ill repute. And he seems like he’d never let you forget it.

95% conviction rate of crime among drivers? :open_mouth:
Where do you get that from?.., unless you’re confusing ‘crime’ with offences.

the nodding donkey:
22 year old class 1 driver. Ok.

Caught at well over double the speed limit. Ok.

Let of with a 2 month ban. Mmmmmm.

No sanction from the T.C. yeah right.

TNCSI rests m’lord

I was told by the DVSa solicitor at Carlisle magistrates court After receiving my fine I would then have to go before the traffic commissioner and I’d receive a 1 month suspension of my driving lisense , I didn’t go before her / him & recieved a caution through the post ( if you look elsewhere you will find the thread & eveidence to prove this )
So you’re a assumption that the traffic commissioner will put a sanction on any driver indescrection is wrong , unless you’re going to put cautions down as penalties
I’d add I got the same reply the op has got , court / fine etc , ■■■■■■■■ , when I posted the £776 find etc they unsurprisingly all went quiet !!!
Nb I wonder how many of the above calling the op have actually had dealings with the traffic commissioner, DVSa solicitors , judges etc ?