A different sort of night out tramping

So you think you’ve got it bad ■■ :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Found this

facebook.com/euronews/video … 1351912460

Now that is what I call >>>>>>>
can’t find the words to explain my feelings :frowning:

Well they all seem to speak good English and all look and seem right enough fellas.
Surely they know better money and conditions can be found…
But paying them that the company wants to be ashamed

Coming to a transport company near you soon…

(I dont like to say ‘I told you so’…)

1290 euros per month don’t seem so bad to me when a basic house only costs a 10k euros over there. Could you buy a house here in the UK on an average 1 year’s wage packet?

yorkshire terrier:
Well they all seem to speak good English and all look and seem right enough fellas.
Surely they know better money and conditions can be found…
But paying them that the company wants to be ashamed

Oh that is funny.

There are two reasons why so many companies in Britain pay just above minimum wage. Because they want to get some of the revolving door drivers on their seats, and because there IS a minimum wage…

(Which at the time of writing is higher than Latvia’s…)

Mick Bracewell:
1290 euros per month don’t seem so bad to me when a basic house only costs a 10k euros over there. Could you buy a house here in the UK on an average 1 year’s wage packet?

Why have you added the 20 euro per day meal allowance to the 670 euro per month salary?

cav551:

Mick Bracewell:

Why have you added the 20 euro per day meal allowance to the 670 euro per month salary?

Because that’s what they earn, €670 per month + €20 per day meal allowance.

No different to Trampers adding night-out money into their salary.

A Portuguese friend of mine earns €850/month driving a class 2 hihab around Lisbon collecting scrap metal

That company is breaking the law. Yes it’s in Latvia but under EU rules which were introduced a while ago drivers are supposed to get paid at least the minimum wage in the country they’re driving in precisely to stop this from happening so if a driver for a Latvian company is spending most of their time driving around Germany in a week then it’s the German minimum wage that applies. Unfortunately the drivers probably don’t know the law.

It does come as no surprise it’s owned by a Swede, it was the Swedish that wanted the derogation put into the Agency Workers Regs to deny agency workers the right to parity pay after 12 weeks (the whole point of the regulations) as long as they got paid 8 hours if they had a week with no work. That must have cost me about £30k since the AWR came in and I must have only had 2-3 weeks with no work in that time.

The big question is how and why is a country in the EU able to get visas for that type of job, they all seem happy enough but what about all the new rules about spending your 45 in a cab, maybe the company pays for hotel out of what they should be paying them, I wonder how old the video is, it cant be legal, and why are they not using showers in truck stops, it is hard to believe that that’s happening in this day and age, I wonder does the haulier only charge a fraction to pull a load

pierrot 14:
So you think you’ve got it bad ■■ :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Found this

facebook.com/euronews/video … 1351912460

Now that is what I call >>>>>>>
can’t find the words to explain my feelings :frowning:

And we think we have it bad.

Ken.

biggriffin:

cav551:

Mick Bracewell:

A meeting of haulage company bosses who have convinced their drivers that subsistansce allowance is part of their wages and not what they themselves claim x 4 .

youtube.com/watch?v=3SAbJjktk7E

cav551:

biggriffin:

cav551:

Mick Bracewell:

A meeting of haulage company bosses who have convinced their drivers that subsistansce allowance is part of their wages and not what they themselves claim x 4 .

youtube.com/watch?v=3SAbJjktk7E

None of that matters. What matters is that the driver will be pocketing the 20 euros a day and sending it back home then him and his Filipino mates will all be parked up together and eating whatever scraps they can combine from their trailer storage lockers.

I hope they can driver better than this driver ,he is the second left ■■■■■■ in 20 mins to have 2 shunts at entering lesmahagow truck stop :unamused:

It’s shocking… But they seem happy.

In real terms, the amount earned is only as important as the amount spent. Given they ‘live’ in the lorry they have no rent in Europe. They can buy cheap food and live modestly. So the actual money they earn nearly all goes back home.

Take away a company letting them live in the lorry and they need to add rent to the wage to make it the same. Mine is another grand a month. And council tax. And heating… Etcetera.

I earn before tax about 37k a year. Not the best. But enough for me. If I was single and had no bills and rent I’d be better off taking a job that pays £25k and living at work - and that’s including night out dosh. I personally wouldn’t want to. But that is another story.

Conor:
That company is breaking the law. Yes it’s in Latvia but under EU rules which were introduced a while ago drivers are supposed to get paid at least the minimum wage in the country they’re driving in precisely to stop this from happening so if a driver for a Latvian company is spending most of their time driving around Germany in a week then it’s the German minimum wage that applies. Unfortunately the drivers probably don’t know the law.

It does come as no surprise it’s owned by a Swede, it was the Swedish that wanted the derogation put into the Agency Workers Regs to deny agency workers the right to parity pay after 12 weeks (the whole point of the regulations) as long as they got paid 8 hours if they had a week with no work. That must have cost me about £30k since the AWR came in and I must have only had 2-3 weeks with no work in that time.

True it is the “Swedish” derogation, but how many countries have taken advantage of it?
Sweden and the UK, any others?
And post Brexit, depending on agreements, wouldn’t our “freedom to be competitive, not bound by EU red tape” mean we won’t have to comply with EU equality rules?
Doesn’t look good to me.
And does that video have a date I wonder? Probably, but I can’t see it.

The EU in the Brexit negotiations are worried about the UK, undercutting the EU but nothing said about the UK being undercut by EU drivers with poor wages,or Companies relocating to eastern Europe because its cheaper labour costs.

Franglais:

Conor:

True it is the “Swedish” derogation, but how many countries have taken advantage of it?
And post Brexit, depending on agreements, wouldn’t our “freedom to be competitive, not bound by EU red tape” mean we won’t have to comply with EU equality rules?
Doesn’t look good to me.

Well it wasn’t taken 10 years ago there have been several articles on various sites about this recently including one on your beloved BBC, why is it that you deride any link that you don’t agree with? Perhaps you could put a link up showing what measures the EU have taken to stop this exploitation, bearing in mind that the measures brought in August were massively watered down at the request of these EE countries using this source of cheap labour. Another case of EU hypocrisy all for workers rights on paper but in reality?

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Conor:

Doesn’t look good to me.

Well it wasn’t taken 10 years ago there have been several articles on various sites about this recently including one on your beloved BBC, why is it that you deride any link that you don’t agree with? Perhaps you could put a link up showing what measures the EU have taken to stop this exploitation, bearing in mind that the measures brought in August were massively watered down at the request of these EE countries using this source of cheap labour. Another case of EU hypocrisy all for workers rights on paper but in reality?

Conor:
That company is breaking the law. Yes it’s in Latvia but under EU rules which were introduced a while ago drivers are supposed to get paid at least the minimum wage in the country they’re driving in

EU law says it`s wrong.
Are the EU particularly good or quick at enforcing these rules? No, they are not.
But at least they have those laws, imperfect as they are.
Can you blame under staffed police for an increase in crimes? Or those holding back funds?
cwu.org/news/agency-triumph … ly-closed/
Remember it was the Cameron Gov that applied the Swedish derogation, so ensuring that Conor and other UK agency workers were underpaid compared to their EU agency colleagues.

With reference to the Swedish derogation if only the UK and Sweden wanted it and no one else then surely losing a vote 25 to 2 would have no room for complaint after all the EU is a democratic organisation!! But seeing as the companies exploiting this are neither UK or Swedish then perhaps some other members were more than happy for it be kept and let the UK and Sweden take the flak for it.
Yet this exploitation affects western countries disproportionally, the biggest threat to your job is not Brexit but the likes of Hegelmann who could shave 400 euro a load on what your firm is paid and still make more profit on a load than your firm just on the wage differential alone, as a previous poster said the EU getting it’s knickers in a twist about the UK undercutting when out of the EU but doing nothing about the uneven playing field within the EU keeping wages low and conditions poor.