Anyone does/done this work?
What’s it like it will be on nights?
Any info would be greatly appreciated

jusholmes:
Hi

Delivering/collecting what and to where?

I’m guessing you mean milk tankers. Plenty of threads on here about that.

Sorry wasn’t clear it’s Milk collection
Thanks

jusholmes:
Hi

I did ex-farm for ten years, on nights.

It’s great if it suits you. You’ll know within a month if you’ll stick it long term.
You’ll be driving down the sticks, in the dark, with a tank with a varying amount of liquid moving about. Take your time, and drive steady.
Buy a Ordinance Survey Navigator map, ringbound, and mark every farm on it. Dont rely on an atlas, or sat-nav.
I repeat, dont rely on a sat-nav
Farms are not designed with your truck in mind. Often, the dairy is in an awkward location, on a slope, it’s dark, theres a combine parked on the corner, and its wet and muddy. Just think its mud…
Some farms are old, and dairy buildings can be hazardous, eith awkward steps, low doors, bad (or no )lighting, and dodgy electrics are commonplace.
Farmers come in two flavours. Ok, and mad as a hatter. You’ll mainly meet the later at night…

There are a few procedures, which must be followed rigidly, or you’ll be in trouble.
Check the temp. of the milk, BEFORE you start pumping.
Take samples, for every tank, especially if a farm has multiple tanks. Do NOT accept any samples offered by a ‘helpfull’ farmer.
Check, and double check, when collecting milk.
Make sure you take a coolbox with enough sample pots… (dont ask…)
Check you have a collection pipe before you leave the yard.(dont ask…)
Likewise, make sure you have all spanners and connectors, when you leave the farm…

Buy a pair of wellies. Nobody checks if you’re wearing steel toecaps on the farm, and I guarantee that mud (just think its mud) will be deeper than your work boots…

Enjoy.

Not a job for a driver who doesn’t have an abundance of confidence in their driving abilities and not for someone that doesn’t like getting their boots muddy. Even less so on nights when farm yards are pitch black with tractors and other rusty farm equipment abandoned all over the place, positioned perfectly to destroy the tyres of the unobservant. And that’s just in the summer :open_mouth: . Good luck in the winter. If it’s for Lloyd’s, I hope you enjoy washing wagons as you have to give it a full wash at the end of every shift and it has to be gleaming. Not sure if Bargh’s are down that way but both them and Lloyd’s are known to pay the bare minimum they can’t get away with to keep bums on seats. It’s underpaid for the level of skill involved to keep the tanker upright on the lanes/farm tracks, not prang it on farm equipment/1ft deep potholes hidden under puddles/mirror-destroying stray tree branches hidden in the hedge foliage. From my experience the ratio for drivers who are confident, skilled and good at the job vs the rest is about 1:20. The other 19 bring the truck back with panels missing, mirrors and mudguards hanging off and every month or so someone will put one in a ditch.

Beware of the loose dogs, they will come from nowhere when you least expect it, the smaller dogs or ankle biters are the worst.And they can often lurk around in between or under the tanks inside the farmers dairy.
Check for the tow hook that goes under the grill or front bumper, farmers don’t charge for towing or recovery.
Tow hook is normally found in the cab side lockers or under the bunk if one is fitted.

Tarmaceater:
Beware of the loose dogs, they will come from nowhere when you least expect it, the smaller dogs or ankle biters are the worst.And they can often lurk around in between or under the tanks inside the farmers dairy.
Check for the tow hook that goes under the grill or front bumper, farmers don’t charge for towing or recovery.
Tow hook is normally found in the cab side lockers or under the bunk if one is fitted.

Oh yes, dogs… not usually a big problem on nights, but yes, they are a nuisance. Mind you, if you have a problem with a dog, first talk to the farmer/Milker. If that doesnt help, escalate immediately, because the company will deal with it, because the last thing they want is an employee getting bitten…

And getting stuck is another occupational hazard (although I found that it tends to be the same drivers, often in the same sports, who get stuck…). Especially on nights, it’s best to get stuck before you collect the milk, as the farmer gets a lot less cooperative after you have collected his milk and started the tank CIP…

Been delivering to farms for the past 15 years, feed not milk collection.

In all that time I’ve only ever come across one farm where a dog was more than a ■■■■ nuisance. If your employer is responsible and sensible, the standing instructions for that farm will pre-warn you of any potential hazard. Phone in advance if unsure; in my particular case, the farmer soon got fed up with me ringing every time I was at the farm gate and insisting he checked , and from then on the dog was always on its chain when I got there.

Further to dogs; a few tips. Collies in particular tend to have a habit of trying to bite your tyres as you’re manoeuvering, usually when you’re leaving the premises. This can be disconcerting for the newbie, but you soon get used to it; just drive on slowly till they give up, and keep your eyes on what’s ahead of you. if you spend too much time looking for the dog, you’ll inevitably clip your bumper on a milk step lurking in the hedge by the entrance, which has been waiting for that opportunity to get its own back ever since tankers came along and made it redundant. The dogs have been doing it for years, and it’s easy to spot the ones who didn’t quite get it right, they’ve usually got a leg missing!

It’s not a bad idea to keep a couple of cheap rawhide chews handy for the odd occasion where a dog seems to mean business. Believe it or not this is actually mentioned in our drivers’ handbook, and it’s good advice. You have to remember that farmers are increasingly prone to thieves who see them as an easy target, so until the dog gets to know you (and they do) it’s only doing its job just as you are.

Finally; do NOT be tempted when the dog brings you a stone or a stick to throw. You will have a job for life, and you’ll get fed up with it long before the dog does!

Sidevalve:
Finally; do NOT be tempted when the dog brings you a stone or a stick to throw. You will have a job for life, and you’ll get fed up with it long before the dog does!

:smiley:
True enough. Dogs are good at training people.

Franglais:

Sidevalve:

:smiley:
True enough. Dogs are good at training people.

Same of our house hound [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my truck

Thanks for taking the time time to reply everyone.

Is there any other advice or tips anyone has

Thanks in advance

Hi , there’s a video on YouTube ( Luke Vernon I think) about a guy doing milk collection.
It’s during the day but will give you a bit of an idea what’s involved.

You would be better trying the job on days to get an idea of what roads,hazards, and access are like.have Cheers Ray

jusholmes:
Hi

To the o.p.

I have not worked for the company you mention, but they will work similar to the ones I have. You will be sent out with another driver, to teach you how the equipment works, to show where (some) of the farms are, and how to go about your daily, or nightly routine. Make notes ( if they dont have a handbook), and dont worry about asking questions. Beter ask the question before getting stuck or breaking something.
Just follow the other driver’s lead.
Take your time. Dont rush. And when you have a booboo, own up. Dont try to hide it, minor damage and the occasional clanger are an occupational hazard, especially on nights.
As for starting at this time of the year, dont worry. Make sure you have good boots, carry a pair of dry socks in your bag, and dont be tempted to get out of your warm cab to 'quickly do a small collection ’ without putting your coat on.

Good luck.

the nodding donkey:

jusholmes:
Hi

To the o.p.

I have not worked for the company you mention, but they will work similar to the ones I have. You will be sent out with another driver, to teach you how the equipment works, to show where (some) of the farms are, and how to go about your daily, or nightly routine. Make notes ( if they dont have a handbook), and dont worry about asking questions. Beter ask the question before getting stuck or breaking something.
Just follow the other driver’s lead.
Take your time. Dont rush. And when you have a booboo, own up. Dont try to hide it, minor damage and the occasional clanger are an occupational hazard, especially on nights.
As for starting at this time of the year, dont worry. Make sure you have good boots, carry a pair of dry socks in your bag, and dont be tempted to get out of your warm cab to 'quickly do a small collection ’ without putting your coat on.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information very much appreciated taking your time to reply with great advice

1. ensure CIP water is fully drained.
  2. ensure pump wash tap, sample tap and drain tap are all closed.
  3. ensure CIP wash cap is on.
  4. enter tank building with your 2 sample pots and scoop.
  5. start 2 minute stir on tank.
  6. put farm labels on sample pots.
  7. go to tanker, select “farm collection”, wait for GPS to find farm (enter farm number if not) and click OK. Countdown will start.
  8. pull pipe out and connect it to farm tank.
  9. climb up and take your milk samples ensuring you don’t touch or contaminate either the scoop or the pots. Avoid any froth in the tank when taking the samples.
  10. if you are there well outside of the normal collection time, have a look at the tank to make sure the pipe from the parlour isn’t connected and check in the parlour to make sure the farmer isn’t milking. Speak to farmer first before collecting if so. Even if he’s not milking, check to see if he still wants his tank putting on wash as he may be about to start milking and some tank washes can take an hour or so.
  11. enter sample pot number on tanker display and put pots in fridge.
  12. press START and open tap on farm milk tank.
  13. keep an eye for milk ■■■■■■■ out anywhere and tighten nuts/close taps as needed.
  14. feed the dog biscuits/throw frisby/listen to farmer moaning about everything while milk is pumping.
  15. wait for pipe to clear and AEV to empty when finished.
  16. disconnect pipe, replace end cap and stow it away.
  17. connect wash pump pipe/cover and start wash cycle (procedure varies between the different tank manufacuturers).
  18. print out collection ticket and place under bulldog clip in tank room.
  19. ensure dog isn’t laying down under tanker wheels waiting for more biscuits/more frisby.
  20. drive to next farm and repeat.
    :slight_smile:
  1. watch out for farmers trying to distract you while they go into the tank room and slacken off the nut while the milk is pumping to pull air in and artificially inflate their volume :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: . The more modern systems have bubble sensors to detect this but it’s a well known tactic in the industry. Over the years we’ve had 3 farms that have done it, 2 of which we successfully prosecuted with covert video evidence.

Also, keep an eye for them adding water to the tank after you’ve taken your samples. :bulb: :bulb: Their readings will be good with the NML, but your tanker sample will likely fail back at the dairy and the entire tanker load will have to be dumped.

Mick Bracewell:

1. ensure CIP water is fully drained.
  2. ensure pump wash tap, sample tap and drain tap are all closed.
  3. ensure CIP wash cap is on.
  4. enter tank building with your 2 sample pots and scoop.
  5. start 2 minute stir on tank.
  6. put farm labels on sample pots.
  7. go to tanker, select “farm collection”, wait for GPS to find farm (enter farm number if not) and click OK. Countdown will start.
  8. pull pipe out and connect it to farm tank.
  9. climb up and take your milk samples ensuring you don’t touch or contaminate either the scoop or the pots. Avoid any froth in the tank when taking the samples.
  10. if you are there well outside of the normal collection time, have a look at the tank to make sure the pipe from the parlour isn’t connected and check in the parlour to make sure the farmer isn’t milking. Speak to farmer first before collecting if so. Even if he’s not milking, check to see if he still wants his tank putting on wash as he may be about to start milking and some tank washes can take an hour or so.
  11. enter sample pot number on tanker display and put pots in fridge.
  12. press START and open tap on farm milk tank.
  13. keep an eye for milk ■■■■■■■ out anywhere and tighten nuts/close taps as needed.
  14. feed the dog biscuits/throw frisby/listen to farmer moaning about everything while milk is pumping.
  15. wait for pipe to clear and AEV to empty when finished.
  16. disconnect pipe, replace end cap and stow it away.
  17. connect wash pump pipe/cover and start wash cycle (procedure varies between the different tank manufacuturers).
  18. print out collection ticket and place under bulldog clip in tank room.
  19. ensure dog isn’t laying down under tanker wheels waiting for more biscuits/more frisby.
  20. drive to next farm and repeat.
    :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to type all this out gives a great insight into it

I used to deliver pesticides to farms many years ago.
Farmers are some of the biggest rogues about.
I always have a laugh when they are on the telly moaning about our caravan dwelling friends raiding their farms…what goes around etc etc.

Mick Bracewell:
21. watch out for farmers trying to distract you while they go into the tank room and slacken off the nut while the milk is pumping to pull air in and artificially inflate their volume :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: . The more modern systems have bubble sensors to detect this but it’s a well known tactic in the industry. Over the years we’ve had 3 farms that have done it, 2 of which we successfully prosecuted with covert video evidence.

Also, keep an eye for them adding water to the tank after you’ve taken your samples. :bulb: :bulb: Their readings will be good with the NML, but your tanker sample will likely fail back at the dairy and the entire tanker load will have to be dumped.

Also, some farms have small "open top " tanks (basically a box shaped tank with a hinged lid), and sometimes the farmer has more milk than fits into the tank, and he has the excess milk in churns/buckets. DONT let him add that milk after you took the samples and started pumping the milk. .