A1 grantham speed camera

Anyone know if the speed camera on the A1 northbound at Grantham just south of Tony’s Cafe is working? I often go that way in the wagon but never worry as obviously I don’t go any faster than 56 mph. But today I went down that straight in the car at about 80 and it wasn’t until the wife mentioned the camera that I started to wonder. Anybody know anything?

Home office guidelines for enforcement of speeding suggest no action for 10% + 2mph, i.e. on a 70 limit road 79 mph is unlikely to lead to action.
Also, car speedometers almost all read at least 2 mph fast, so if reading 80 you would most probably be under that threshold.

It is working, I’ve regularly seen it flash when I’m coming southbound. No idea of threshold though, you’ll just need to sit near your letterbox for a couple of weeks.

The ones further south in the roadworks on water Tower Hill definitely ARE working though as many who work at our place have found to their cost?

10% +2 doesn’t seem to work on the A1 at Grantham. I got done three weeks ago in the car by the camera in the temporary 50mph stretch along there. Ticket said 57 mph.

For the life…

Of me, I have no idea where Tony’s cafe is.

I’m assuming we’re talking about the northbound camera before the services at Gonerby Moor and just after the A52 split as you go over the railway line?

I’d be surprised at getting away with 74 let alone 80.

Green Devil:
10% +2 doesn’t seem to work on the A1 at Grantham. I got done three weeks ago in the car by the camera in the temporary 50mph stretch along there. Ticket said 57 mph.

That is 10% + 2 nicking starts at 57 not 58, last time i got a speeding nick in a lorry was at 46mph again 10% + 2, whether we’d have got done at 56 and 45 respectively we’ll never know, maybe others have been.

If it is the one northbound in the contraflow, then yes, it is working, as we have had one guy ping it 3 times in a week.

Ken.

That is 10% + 2 nicking starts at 57 not 58, last time i got a speeding nick in a lorry was at 46mph again 10% + 2, whether we’d have got done at 56 and 45 respectively we’ll never know, maybe others have been.
[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification Juddian. First I knew of it was when the ticket arrived and I’m pretty sure I didn’t see any signs. Neither did a few others apparently

chattertons.com/site/blog/r … r-grantham

You could kick yourself couldn’t you, i was hoping for an awareness course seeing as it was open NSL road when we still on the old limit of 40 for hgv’s, sadly West Mercia were well know apparently for not offering courses at the time.
No complaints at getting nicked, shoulda seen the van and reacted faster :blush:

I thought the 10% + 2 was was only a guidance and each area has it’s own discretion on whether to follow it or not. In Scotland a few years ago it was never used at all and I believe that still stands.

Drive at speeds believing that and you will get nicked. :laughing:

Yes I was definitely annoyed with myself - more for falling into the trap than anything else.

They did offer me a course; it seems you have to do them online via zoom now because of the convenientvirus plandemic. I decided to just pay up and put it down to experience. I don’t particularly want the points but I retired from driving killing machines last January so I’m not too bothered. It’s 18 years since my last one so I reckon I’m doing alright

jakethesnake:
I thought the 10% + 2 was was only a guidance and each area has it’s own discretion on whether to follow it or not. In Scotland a few years ago it was never used at all and I believe that still stands.

Hello Jake. I thought you and/or your mate would be along soon. Don’t worry - I’ve flagellated myself, been to confession and will be walking around with a piece of fiberglass loft insulation in my undercrackers for the rest of the year. Last time I do 57mph on the A1 I can tell you

Link to Lincolnshire Police.
lincs.police.uk/reporting-a … /speeding/
It seems they do go with the 10%+2 threshold. As said that is widespread, but is not the law. Go one emm over and you are law breaking. Highly unlikely to get nicked, but no guarantees.

Green Devil:

jakethesnake:

Hello Jake. I thought you and/or your mate would be along soon. Don’t worry - I’ve flagellated myself, been to confession and will be walking around with a piece of fiberglass loft insulation in my undercrackers for the rest of the year. Last time I do 57mph on the A1 I can tell you

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Franglais:
Link to Lincolnshire Police.
lincs.police.uk/reporting-a … /speeding/
It seems they do go with the 10%+2 threshold. As said that is widespread, but is not the law. Go one emm over and you are law breaking. Highly unlikely to get nicked, but no guarantees.

I reckon the OP might be OK. Most car speedometers overread by up to 10%. So an indicated 80mph might be as low as an actual 72. Then factor in the device tolerance quoted by the police and that would probably take him below 70.

OK you can’t (and shouldn’t) rely on it but it’s a get out of jail card

Green Devil:

jakethesnake:

Sorry I don’t know you. You are new here? Hmmm now let me guess. :laughing:

Most car speedometers overread by up to 10%.

No they don’t, not anymore. Older cars that may have been the case but modern ones are very accurate.

jakethesnake:

No they don’t, not anymore. Older cars that may have been the case but modern ones are very accurate.

Auto eExpress magazine
autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ … o-accurate
Police tolerance and car speedometer.
Ten tested, no more than 3mph out.

Franglais:

jakethesnake:

Auto eExpress magazine
autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ … o-accurate
Police tolerance and car speedometer.
Ten tested, no more than 3mph out.

My car is in the older category. In fact I’m keeping the photograph they sent me as evidence it will go that fast for when I come to sell it

I guess we could all check our car speedos to see how accurate they are?
Speed apps available for phones. At least we’d know rather than guess.
Just so we can drive up to the wire, on speed limit plus 10% plus 2 or whatever? If we think it’s really worth it that is…