Turners v EStobart

Have been stuck trying to find jobs since February (I’m new pass driver).

Finally few companies started taking new pass drivers.

I hear all kind of stories about Culina, Maritime, Stobarts etc…

But one must start somewhere and get that experience.

Had offers from Green Devils and Turners… pay wise isn’t that much different.

What do you say?

Agency route isn’t an option, as I prefer stability and not sitting on the phone waiting for a call for future jobs.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Have PM’d you, please let me know if you’ve got it.

Just search on here for any posts by Dozy and you will have your answer … :bulb:

Out of…

Your list of suggestions, I’d go for Culina if it was a viable option.

Green death and Turnips are really just the bottom rung. I regurlarly visit both of their premises and all the drivers just look broken as they walk across the yard dragging a sleeping bag behind them through the mud.

Having driven for Culina on the agency, they had a better approach, better kit and just seemed a more driver friendly outfit.

I would say Culina from the list. Job is mainly RDC deliveries and they will usually look after you. Will probably put you in with an experience driver for a week or 2.

Keep away from stobarts if I were you.

Deleted…

MrWhiteGlasses:

What do you say?

Agency route isn’t an option, as I prefer stability and not sitting on the phone waiting for a call for future jobs.

Where abouts in the country are you based?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Asad_uk:
I would say Culina from the list. Job is mainly RDC deliveries and they will usually look after you. Will probably put you in with an experience driver for a week or 2.

Keep away from stobarts if I were you.

That was the plan, Culina mentioned they only take experienced drivers nowadays same as Cbutt, Maritime etc.

But in my personal opinion, E Stobart didn’t look too bad…office workers were laid back as well as drivers around waiting rooms.

It wasn’t highest end mind you, but nowhere near as bad as I imagined it to be.

The truck I was assessed with, was a bit scratched though…i was told it was through a house wall.

But boy it felt great to drive.

lizard:

MrWhiteGlasses:

What do you say?

Northampton.

Surprisingly there aren’t that many companies who would take a new pass driver.

MrWhiteGlasses:

lizard:

MrWhiteGlasses:

What do you say?

Northampton.

Surprisingly there aren’t that many companies who would take a new pass driver.

How far are you willing to travel for a job.
Are you prepared to do nights out,
Do you want to do tramping
How long are you prepared to be away for.
Let me know.
My company is taking on at the moment but we are in Norfolk.

Lizard thank you for your kind offer, but I’m not into tramping. I don’t chase top dollar, you wouldn’t believe but I’m into basic driving around country to enjoy it and live family life.

You know what?..You’re lucky to have a choice as a new driver.
Don’t dither or ■■■■ about, the choice may not last, make a choice and stick to it.
Your main priority is to get experience with something on your cv to get something better and have a wider choice.
Stobbies ain’t too fussy who they take on (no offence :smiley: ) just go for it, stick it out for a few months…who knows you may like it, if you don’t look for something else.
Beggars and choosers mate. :bulb:
Oh yeh, don’t write tramping off, it ain’t a bad life…but only if you do it properly. :bulb:
It can be a lot more relaxing than rat racing day or night runs.

Robroy thanks for advice, interestingly my interviewer kept returning to the same question…why would I give up my old work which pays better.

My reply was, I drove all sorts for living and now it’s time to drive trucks.

When we chatted about their operations, RDC trunking and few supermarket deliveries were mentioned. Which I guess is perfect for newbie. Although, I really fancy something more challenging and rewarding.

Guess things will come, just need to wait patiently.

Time to roll up sleeves, and see how do they do it. Not to sure if it’s Turners or Stobarts.

Choosing a job isn`t the same as getting married.
True, some jobs last longer than some marriages, but generally it is easier to leave one job and get another.

Email sent.

MrWhiteGlasses:
Not to sure if it’s Turners or Stobarts.

Rock and…

A hard place innit.

Out of those two I’d go for Eddie’s. In my opinion it’s a better fleet and better organised than Turnips. More chance of a comfy new (ish) Volvo/Skarniarse than Turnips old and dying fleet of Craptros’.

Remember, which ever one you choose the Samaritans will pick up the phone 24/7 and talk you back down again.

Good luck.

Thank you for advice, commuting does play a big part so that would be the factor.

I don’t have experience of hopping from one working place to the other but guess that’s how drivers behave in haulage industry, hence my research.

robroy:
You know what?..You’re lucky to have a choice as a new driver.
Don’t dither or [zb] about, the choice may not last, make a choice and stick to it.
Your main priority is to get experience with something on your cv to get something better and have a wider choice.

This. I told my lad exactly that and he got a job with a company I’d not work with but it got him his first 2 years in and he moved to another company.

Remember that those making the negative comments have years in the industry and experience elsewhere so we have something to compare Stobbies, Wincanton etc to. You are going in with zero experience so to you you’ll not know whether it’s a bad job or not and you may find that you love the job you get, the way they work and working there and there’s nothing wrong with that - I’ve done jobs on agency that they’ve struggled to find people to do, I’ve thought would be utter crap before I turned up and found I loved doing it. Again this is something I told my lad. And he did like it there for quite a while and it was only a change in the way they did things in the last few months that made him look elsewhere. But by then he’d got 2 years in and because of the type of work he did he’d got known by other firms on the same contracts and it was one of those he ended up moving to.

Thanks Connor for your real advice, as sometimes on e-net forums I can’t see clear line between banter and nasty slagging companies off.

Hope those who might follow in my steps, will get plenty of useful information too.

I will go to the shop and get myself some decent gear/clothes to work with…

You only need a start. Thats the hard bit. Once you do even a few months that will be on your cv. Some spent months looking with no luck.Make your choice and go for it.