Multi lane overtaking

On the M62 westbound between j 30 and 29 the motorway divides into four lanes with directions for each lane clearly marked on the overhead gantries.
Left hand to M1 south,2nd to M1 North and 3rd and 4th continue on as M62 west.

Yesterday a truck,using the 4th(far outside lane) easily overtook a truck on the 3rd AFTER the lanes became marked but BEFORE the motorway lanes became divided (i.e before passing j29).

Both trucks were undertaken by an unmarked police car of which the truck is the 4th lane was flashed by the police car.I don’t know if he was pulled over.

I’ve done this a lot of times(as have probably most of you) but until now didn’t think it illegal.Would any legal eagles care to elaborate?

not a legal bod but when i was shadowing someone on my current job driving down the a2 on the 50 mph bit the guy showing me the ropes claimed that it was ok to be in the outside lane as long as the inside lane was marked as a filter lane with the differing white lines as that meant the inside lane wasn’t considered a running lane therefor there were only 2 lanes. Im not explaining my meaning very well but i hope you can get the drift of it.

Wether I am right or wrong, I would not move to the forth lane until the carriage way line markers had changed.

Dave…

cooper1203:
not a legal bod but when i was shadowing someone on my current job driving down the a2 on the 50 mph bit the guy showing me the ropes claimed that it was ok to be in the outside lane as long as the inside lane was marked as a filter lane with the differing white lines as that meant the inside lane wasn’t considered a running lane therefor there were only 2 lanes. Im not explaining my meaning very well but i hope you can get the drift of it.

I think that on an A road the outside lane rule does not apply there are several places where signage is put up specifically to say that over 7.5t is not allowed in the outside lane, if there was a blanket ban of using the outside lane on A roads then why the signs?

Some one needs to read highway code…

On that stretch of M62, same as were M6 sth and M5 meet, even tho the signage shows two lanes for each different motorway, HGV cannot use lane 4, because it’s still a motorway, W York’s police enforce it, as do Cmpg, It’s a Gamble if you want to overtake in lane 4… On A roads, like A14 Newmarket, just crack-on past the bloody 52mph box-jockeys,

biggriffin:

On that stretch of M62, same as were M6 sth and M5 meet, even tho the signage shows two lanes for each different motorway, HGV cannot use lane 4, because it’s still a motorway, W York’s police enforce it, as do Cmpg, It’s a Gamble if you want to overtake in lane 4… On A roads, like A14 Newmarket, just crack-on past the bloody 52mph box-jockeys,

Cheers.
I’m a bit of a ■■■■■ when it comes to gambling so I wait but I see plenty do it.
Monkey see monkey do sort of thing.

cooper1203:
not a legal bod but when i was shadowing someone on my current job driving down the a2 on the 50 mph bit the guy showing me the ropes claimed that it was ok to be in the outside lane as long as the inside lane was marked as a filter lane

Doesn’t even need to be that. Unless otherwise signed it is legal to use all lanes on an A road. The outside lane restriction only applies to motorways with 3 or more lanes, not A roads.

biggriffin:

Yes you can use lane four once the main carriageway starts to divide and split as is the case here at this point for example at the bottom of the toll.

Lanes one, two three M6 lanes three and four M6 toll.

Even if the truck in lane 3 is only doing 50mph then for what it’s worth, for the couple of seconds it actually costs you, just wait until the lanes have actually split. Too many impatient drivers about who hasn’t got 2 seconds spare or so they think :unamused:

moomooland:

biggriffin:

Yes you can use lane four once the main carriageway starts to divide and split as is the case here at this point for example at the bottom of the toll.

No you cannot, its STILL the M62, it is a four lane motorway at that point, regardless of the lane markings, and the law says you cannot use the right hand lane of a 3 or 4 lane motorway except in certain circumstances like overtaking an exceptionally wide load or to avoid an accident, or when joining the motorway at that point puts you into the right hand lane, but you must move over when it is safe to do so(such as near Bredbury on the M60) therefore you cannot use lane 4 at this point on the M62, but everybody does, and everybody gets away with it, including the cars towing trailers because 99.99% of the time there will not be a traffic officer in this exact area.

moomooland:

biggriffin:

Even tho the signage shows different lanes, HGV cannot use Lane 5, to join the Toll Road.
the nice policeman will tell you, and give you a bill for £100, and 3 bonus points.

Becomes 2 lanes here google.co.uk/maps/place/Lee … -1.5490774 So you could use the right hand lane from this point to overtake slower moving traffic, but you would have to move back acroos to the left before it becomes 3 lanes then 4 lanes further up the carriageway. Easy.

Shullbit is correct
Once laned a LGV can use any of the 2+2 lanes

Pretty sure you can stay out when the motorway changes back to three lanes or more until you have completed your overtake.

Had a day off on Friday and drove from Cheshire to Essex to visit family for the weekend. Got down to hilton park and traffic was heavy so moved to the outside lane to then have the pleasure of following a Loane truck for the next 7/8 miles. He was very happy using the outside lane so it does seem that it’s ok [emoji849][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jonnypistol:
On the M62 westbound between j 30 and 29 the motorway divides into four lanes with directions for each lane clearly marked on the overhead gantries.
Left hand to M1 south,2nd to M1 North and 3rd and 4th continue on as M62 west.

Yesterday a truck,using the 4th(far outside lane) easily overtook a truck on the 3rd AFTER the lanes became marked but BEFORE the motorway lanes became divided (i.e before passing j29).

Both trucks were undertaken by an unmarked police car of which the truck is the 4th lane was flashed by the police car.I don’t know if he was pulled over.

I’ve done this a lot of times(as have probably most of you) but until now didn’t think it illegal.Would any legal eagles care to elaborate?

I think you already knew the answer before you posted, the answer is blindingly obvious.

Of course you should not use the outside lane before the signs essentially tell you that you are allowed to, just because you know the lane set up changes is irrelevant.
Why would you risk getting points just to save a few seconds anyway :unamused: ,.
You know (or you should) they don’t need an excuse to nick you, so why put yourself on a plate for them.
It’s a bit like saying if I’m in a 30 zone,.can I speed back up to 56 100 yds before it changes to national speed limit…, because I know the sign is coming up.

dave docwra:
Pretty sure you can stay out when the motorway changes back to three lanes or more until you have completed your overtake.

If you overtake when it is 2 lanes then it becomes 3 lanes you must move back over to the left when it is safe to do so, obviously this means that you can complete your overtake if you have been caught out, or the car you are overtaking has decided it doesnt want to be overtaken by a lorry. :slight_smile:

What about wide loads straggling 2 lanes ? Do you follow at 52 / 55 or if the wide load drops to 50 do some go for the 3rd lane overtake ? How slow or fast does a wide load need to go for you to overtake ?

shullbit:

dave docwra:

If you overtake when it is 2 lanes then it becomes 3 lanes you must move back over to the left when it is safe to do so, obviously this means that you can complete your overtake if you have been caught out, or the car you are overtaking has decided it doesnt want to be overtaken by a lorry. :slight_smile:

If you cant complete your overtake within the law you shouldnt start it.

As you rightly point out this is why all truck drivers need to have 2nd sight in order to predict an idiot car drive speeding up whilst being overtaken.

Punchy Dan:
What about wide loads straggling 2 lanes ? Do you follow at 52 / 55 or if the wide load drops to 50 do some go for the 3rd lane overtake ? How slow or fast does a wide load need to go for you to overtake ?

If I’m faster than a wide load and it’s safe to overtake I’ll do so, to stay behind would result in congestion and ever slowing traffic.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk