Silliest excuse you have heard at an accident

Had an accident the other day a learner driver side swiped me. no one was hurt and we pulled over to swap details. The guy gets out the passenger seat and we exchange details. he tries telling me that i had side swiped him. I said well i didn’t because I had my offside wheels up against the kerb of the traffic island (2 lanes going in the same direction) we went back ad forth with him trying to blame me and in the end he said well your a lorry your supposed to give way to cars. However he was unable to tell me why when it was 2 straight lanes and neither of us was changing lane and the road didn’t narrow etc.

Just made me wonder what are the silliest excuses others have heard.
coop

Many years back a car overtook me on a roundabout, and drove straight under my front bumper.
I braked, but couldn`t avoid the idiot.
Swopped details, etc and he said it was the second time “it had happened to him” that month!
Some are beyond learning anything.

The bloke I smashed into the back of (I posted the dash cam footage here) after he had done a U turn right in front of me on the A1 claimed that “the sat nav made me do it”!

cooper1203:
Had an accident the other day a learner driver side swiped me. no one was hurt and we pulled over to swap details. The guy gets out the passenger seat and we exchange details. he tries telling me that i had side swiped him. I said well i didn’t because I had my offside wheels up against the kerb of the traffic island (2 lanes going in the same direction) we went back ad forth with him trying to blame me and in the end he said well your a lorry your supposed to give way to cars. However he was unable to tell me why when it was 2 straight lanes and neither of us was changing lane and the road didn’t narrow etc.

Just made me wonder what are the silliest excuses others have heard.
coop

i had a bump a few weeks ago coming out of Pompey…we didn’t discuss who was at fault,i just let my forward facing,and side/rear view camera’s do the talking when Transport viewed the footage :smiley:

Once had a stupid bint side swipe me whilst trying to undertake me on chevrons at a set of lights. I was stationary on a red light but she just had to try and get in front of the big bad wagon.
She jumped out ranting and raving that it was all my fault :open_mouth:
I called the police as I was worried she might play a ■■■■■■ card against me. The all round camera recording showed she was clearly at fault and the last I heard she was to be prosecuted for some driving offence.

10+yrs ago this happend in London, im sure it was near the westfield centre where there is 4 lanes approahing a roundabout, either way the car driver said “You should have stopped quicker” “Look what you done” etc. He pulled infront of me as the lights went to red. The solid line at the bottom of the pic is the lights. So he tried to ‘steal’ my stopping distance. This picture got me out of trouble with the boss and the company insurance as I was a new driver at the time:

mrginge:
10+yrs ago this happend in London, im sure it was near the westfield centre where there is 4 lanes approahing a roundabout, either way the car driver said “You should have stopped quicker” “Look what you done” etc. He pulled infront of me as the lights went to red. The solid line at the bottom of the pic is the lights. So he tried to ‘steal’ my stopping distance. This picture got me out of trouble with the boss and the company insurance as I was a new driver at the time:

funnily enough that’s where mine was but coming up towards the roundabout from the a4

Jasper Carrott…

‘The accident was caused by me… waving to the bloke I hit last week’.

Not an excuse, but a good few years ago when reversing into a side street in London some guy tried to squeeze past in a BMW, and i ripped half his wing of with the passenger step, he gets out ranting and raving, i said dont worry about it mate we will let the insurance sort it out thats what its for and said lets exchange details, he said FORGET IT and got back in car and drove off, obviously he mustnt have been insured, there was zero damage to the lorry, but i noted the reg and reported the accident to the police just in case, never heard anything.

cooper1203:
a learner driver […] said well your a lorry your supposed to give way to cars.

Jesus, what do they teach them these days?

ETS:

cooper1203:
a learner driver […] said well your a lorry your supposed to give way to cars.

Jesus, what do they teach them these days?

umm that was the instructor that said that to me. But your point is valid i just hope he didn’t really believe that and was just trying it on.

Back to when i ran some lorries, I had a lovely shiny new ERF on demo and my late father wanted to do a run with it. So when he got back from doing the run, it had some major panel damage on the front, when i wanted to know what the hell has happened (before i made a sheepish phone call to the dealer). My father said someone reversed a low loader into it at the services but he was inside and he didn’t see what happened, but another driver told him but he didn’t get the reg. When i had a good look later at the truck, there was fresh grass and soil all stuck underneath! Never did find out what really happened.

When I first passed my class 1, I did some work for Iceland, on my rest day… I was parked in Norwich in a bay , and a truck reversed into the side of the cab, and took the drivers mirror off, I was told I didn’t see you.

I knew a bloke who kept driving into the back of people in queues of traffic. Turned out he never found it at all suspicious that his brake pedal went to the floor before any braking action actually happened. Thought it was normal.

DickyNick:
I knew a bloke who kept driving into the back of people in queues of traffic. Turned out he never found it at all suspicious that his brake pedal went to the floor before any braking action actually happened. Thought it was normal.

Monday morning Clean socks pls

a fox ran out in front of me , so i had to swerve to avoid it .

damage
the 18 tonner went through the hedge, took out the corner of a house , which started a fire , crashed into a barn , which brought the roof down onto quite a few classic aston martins that were stored there

oh and wrote off the 18 tonner

comment to me from our engineer onsite ‘ever seen an aston martin skip’

unnamed night VOR driver christian salvesen/swift northampton around 2000

bloody foxes they appeared in quite a few accident reports with night drivers as i recall

tony

When a driver with a totalled trailer is reported as saying…He never noticed the bridge. :neutral_face:
My instant thought is…‘You’re definitely in the wrong job pal’. :unamused:

robroy:
When a driver with a totalled trailer is reported as saying…He never noticed the bridge. :neutral_face:
My instant thought is…‘You’re definitely in the wrong job pal’. :unamused:

‘it was only when the truck in front pulled over to the right that i saw the bridge and it was too late to get in the middle of the road to avoid hitting it’
christian salvesen northampton day artic driver , west country around 2005
tony

tonyj105:
a fox ran out in front of me , so i had to swerve to avoid it .

damage
the 18 tonner went through the hedge, took out the corner of a house , which started a fire , crashed into a barn , which brought the roof down onto quite a few classic aston martins that were stored there

oh and wrote off the 18 tonner

comment to me from our engineer onsite ‘ever seen an aston martin skip’

unnamed night VOR driver christian salvesen/swift northampton around 2000

bloody foxes they appeared in quite a few accident reports with night drivers as i recall

tony

When I was on the milk, one of our night drivers was notorious for falling asleep, he used to nod off sometimes even mid conversation in the tearoom… (I suspect it’s what they now call sleep apnea). He had a few accidents, which he all blamed on “deer running out in front of him…”…

Few weeks ago, a guy in an A8 totally misjudged it, pulled in, just clipped the front corner of the bumper with his near-side rear. This spun him around whereby he bounced off the bumper and disappeared off through the hedge and into the ditch beyond.
Damage to lorry? 2 scratches. One just on the O/S corner and one just by the number plate!

Police, fire brigade et al all turned up and, because of the way the car had come to rest, they ended up cutting him out of the Audi. His excuse? “The lorry closed the gap on me!”

After the coppers had stopped laughing, he got booked for Dangerous driving or some such.