ELKESLEY

I always slow down to 50 through the Elkesley stretch on the A1, but recently everybody (not just the foreigners) has been tanking past me at 56+. Am I missing something? Aren’t the cameras switched on? Just asking…

There is now only 1, and that is on the northbound side as you come into the area from Markham Moor, and it rarely has a unit inside it, if you want to take your chance…

Ken.

Probably relying on the assumed allowance of 10% +2mph, so in theory you should get away with a genuine 55/56mph in a 50.
I don’t by the way, and i don’t rely on that allowance anywhere.

Just keep we lit, or mirrors in whoosh. :laughing:

No southbound…

Cameras these days.

I don’t think the northbound camera works any more.

It’s a good spot for a mobile scamera van and it’s only a matter of time until one appears.

That camera has never worked, the only one that I ever saw flash was the first one southbound, but that’s been gone for years.

As an aside I can’t for the life of me figure why it is still a 50 limit. They said it was for the two bad junctions, they then spent millions changing them but kept the limit. If any stretch should be 50 it’d be the clusterF from Gonerby Moor to Colsterworth with countless cut throughs which result in numerous fatalaties every year.

the maoster:
That camera has never worked, the only one that I ever saw flash was the first one southbound, but that’s been gone for years.

As an aside I can’t for the life of me figure why it is still a 50 limit. They said it was for the two bad junctions, they then spent millions changing them but kept the limit. If any stretch should be 50 it’d be the clusterF from Gonerby Moor to Colsterworth with countless cut throughs which result in numerous fatalaties every year.

Every cut across the A1 from ■■■■■■■■■ lane, to Newark should be closed. It’s not as if you have to go more than Half a mile to use a bridge or underpass to go back.

the maoster:

Every cut across the A1 from ■■■■■■■■■ lane, to Newark should be closed. It’s not as if you have to go more than Half a mile to use a bridge or underpass to go back.

LOL i got flashed by the northbound one MANY years ago but nowadays i just slow down a touch …southbound the camera box has been gone for a very long time the junctions for ( not canute anymore ) and the airfeild are nasty and short so require patiance to get out of

Had a massive upgrade of the road a few years back but kept the 50mph limit!! Ridiculous.
And what winds me up are the friggin car drivers that MUST get past at the start of the limit then ease down to 45mph grrr. So yep foot to floor and leave the mongs behind

Juddian:
Probably relying on the assumed allowance of 10% +2mph, so in theory you should get away with a genuine 55/56mph in a 50.

You are correct to use the word “assumed” when talking about the 10% +2

I have just been done by a mobile speed van in my car last week in Nottingham when taking my little girl to nursery.

I totally missed the van at the time of the offence as the first I knew about it was a week later when I got a letter from Nottinghamshires finest - I was doing 35 in a 30 so no 10% +2 here.

tmcassett:

Juddian:

I have just been done by a mobile speed van in my car last week in Nottingham when taking my little girl to nursery.

I totally missed the van at the time of the offence as the first I knew about it was a week later when I got a letter from Nottinghamshires finest - I was doing 35 in a 30 so no 10% +2 here.

Echo the “assumed” comments.
confused.com/on-the-road/dr … 2079%20mph.
Nottinghamshire don’t say what their tolerance policy is here.

tmcassett:

Juddian:

I think that’s where it triggers, on the 10% + 2, so 35 probably the speed they start to nick you, though its possible they take a dimmer view of 30mph limits and i sometimes wonder if the mobile operators use a bit of discretion themselves at the moment they either click the save button or otherwise.
My last lorry nick was 46mph on open NSL A road, again the assumed 10% +2 trigger.

People assume they can’t or won’t nick you below that assumed allowance but that’s discretionary like a lot of policing, hope you get a course invitation instead of the points, nearly as much fun as a DCPC module eh :wink:

35 mph is the “trigger” speed in a 30 limit according to the ACPO published policy. 34 and under is OK.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

chinese6:
Aren’t the cameras switched on? Just asking…

No they have been there for years, not since the bridge was installed, So keep her lit.
The only camera box on the NB side is a rusting hulk, the biggest danger to traffic is the new Starbucks, due to the very short slip roads in/out.

tmcassett:

Speeding around nursery starting & finishing times whilst not paying enough attention to spot a police van suggests a speed awareness course would be useful.
Your speedometer would have been showing above 35 MPH too; likely 37+ MPH.

ScaniaUltimate:

tmcassett:

Speeding around nursery starting & finishing times whilst not paying enough attention to spot a police van suggests a speed awareness course would be useful.
Your speedometer would have been showing above 35 MPH too; likely 37+ MPH.

I’d like to correct a few inaccuracies in your statement there as you have wrongly assumed a couple of things.

First of all I was over 1 mile away from where the nursery actually was so I wasnt speeding around a nursery, nor its start or finish times.

Secondly the stretch of road I got done on was a dual carriageway with houses set back from the road and separated by another road that runs alongside the dual carriageway. I’m fully aware it’s a 30mph limit as I use it every day. While I have every intention of driving at speed limits it’s easy to creep over without realising from time to time - particularly on a dual carriageway when the limit is 30mph

Lastly where the van was placed from what I can see on the NIP letter I recieved was set well back from the road and behind a footbridge that passes over the road so very sneaky and easy to miss.

Bottom line, I was unknowingly travelling over the limit and I got caught so will accept whatever I end up with. It’s just one of those things.

Lastly, I would like to throw some praise your way for never ever creeping over a speed limit in however long you have been driving. That is a pretty amazing thing to have achieved, you must be so proud!

My brother in law, who is ex traffic Northumbria, told me that the 10% + 2, is not compulsory, only discretionary.

Ken.

Quinny:
My brother in law, who is ex traffic Northumbria, told me that the 10% + 2, is not compulsory, only discretionary.

Ken.

Lincolnshire operate a zero tolerance policy. About 15 years ago I earned 3 points on the M180 in my car at 6am on a sunny summers Sunday morning for 75mph.

Quinny:
My brother in law, who is ex traffic cop Northumbria, .

Ken.

New story line for the plastic chair brigade,