Following for miles

Hi, new here! I’m not a truck driver but into all things trucking.
I drive a transit. Its fitted with a limiter to 60mph. When I’m on a long motorway drive rather than constantly overtaking you chaps with my mighty 4mph difference I tend to keep in lane one and follow (at a safe distance) a single or line of trucks.

Question is, do you get annoyed with someone following you for miles and miles? I keep up with the vehicle in front but don’t tailgate. Example was Wednesday, I tucked in behind a B and M truck from Chippenham to Chievely.

Regards,

Jayne

Annoyed no, years ago when we used to have CB radios in the cab it was common to end up running with a random truck for miles whilst you had a chinwag about nothing putting the world to rights for an hour or two to pass the time but on a night if it’s a car or a van I get suspicious.

Yes I can imagine you being wary at night. When its quiet at night i’m happy to overtake and I appreciate the flash in when I get one!

Jayne

I tend to notice vehicles following me for an inordinately long time (but that’s because I’m ex MI5 and an ex Ninja :smiley: ), if it’s another lorry I barely give it a thought, if it’s a car I just assume that it’s someone using their phone illegally and using me as a shield. A van (as mentioned earlier) would pique my interest a tad more but as the tat I carry is probably less valuable than the fuel in my tank I’d not get overly worried about it. All in all if you’re benefiting even a little from my slipstream then fair play to you.

i was being follwed yesterday and today.

drove up to Glasgow yesterday afternoon.
i don’t know the compnay ive already forgot. westmidlands based but they have a unit painted up with the great train robbery on it. looks nice.

anyway i was behind it at carlisle yesterday evening i overtook it not long after.parked up for night at bellshill. did my delivery today. heading back near Gretna i pass the same unit again.
i pull into southwaite services for my break he pulls in there not long after me.

i then stop at j38 for fuel . as im leaving he then pulls in.
very weird

edd1974:

i don’t know the compnay ive already forgot. westmidlands based but they have a unit painted up with the great train robbery on it. looks nice.

anyway i was behind it at carlisle yesterday evening i overtook it not long after.parked up for night at bellshill. did my delivery today. heading back near Gretna i pass the same unit again.
i pull into southwaite services for my break he pulls in there not long after me.

very weird

Proctors Stoke

blue estate:

edd1974:

very weird

Proctors Stoke

no was mick aldridge

Here’s pic take from.facebook

Yes it is annoying to me. I drive nights and not that it’s scary but it does seem suspicious, I start thinking is he drunk, overloaded, lost, hypermiler, sunday driver, too old to drive, too tired etc. have to keep checking the mirror more often rhan I usually would. It’s like I got something stuck between my teeth. On a few occasions I’ve let off the acc. to drop down to 45 to make them pass me. I just don’t like it. I mean you prob. wouldn’t like it if someone was following you on the street walking behind you for miles, right. Even if it’s just a coincidence and they’re going the same way as you

edd1974:

blue estate:

edd1974:

very weird

Proctors Stoke

no was mick aldridge

Here’s pic take from.facebook

If you kept one of them behind you you’re making good progress :laughing:

On topic… as a lorryist I’m duty bound to say that I dont really use my mirrors anyway so never have a clue nor a care about what’s behind.

On a serious note… no it doesn’t bother me one bit.

Had a transit following me on the m42 all way to m1. Didn’t bother me but made me wonder why they chose to stick at 55mph rather than fly by, didn’t think it may have a limiter also. If it had been April I would have thought they were getting ready to rob all the bog rolls[emoji3474] in the back! As it was I only had empty cages anyway [emoji2]

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Really depends how close is close. If it’s so close your headlights are shining under my trailer then I find it annoying and I’ve slowed down to 35mph before in Lane 1 to try and give them the message that I want them to either back off or go past me. Doing that either just with cruise control or exhaust brake so it shows no brake lights just to wake them up a bit as well for good measure. Just following at more of a distance then crack on doesn’t bother me at all.

DickyNick:
Really depends how close is close. If it’s so close your headlights are shining under my trailer then I find it annoying and I’ve slowed down to 35mph before in Lane 1 to try and give them the message that I want them to either back off or go past me. Doing that either just with cruise control or exhaust brake so it shows no brake lights just to wake them up a bit as well for good measure. Just following at more of a distance then crack on doesn’t bother me at all.

Zzz

robthedog:

DickyNick:

Zzz

Sorry about that but the Actros I drive is limited to 52 and I’ve nothing better to do, the lane wandering thing alerts me when my SOCKED feet aren’t doing their job soz :blush:

What’s with all the gay ■■■■■■■■■■■ around here lately?

ETS:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
keep up there…its only a show of indifference and contempt for when dicktheukjakerowlwypricky posts never ending pish as mumsnet type socktalk is much more interesting and exciting,… :smiley:

dieseldog999:

ETS:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
keep up there…its only a show of indifference and contempt for when dicktheukjakerowlwypricky posts never ending pish as mumsnet type socktalk is much more interesting and exciting,… :smiley:

Here’s a curve ball for you…is the o/p the latest Dicky incarnation? :bulb: :smiley:
#feelinginmebones. :smiley:

robroy:
Here’s a curve ball for you…is the o/p the latest Dicky incarnation? :bulb: :smiley:

Absolutely certain of it that’s why I haven’t posted in this thread till now.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

robroy:

Absolutely certain of it that’s why I haven’t posted in this thread till now.

Me aswell.
Let’s not give them/him/her the attention they are desperate for,
Advice from my favourite philosopher, “Sockraties”

Ahh so not just me then.
If true,.I’m on a roll , first outed him as Fagan & Whaley’s finest night man, now his latest non de plume. :sunglasses:
Love his cunning plan, re.incarnated as a female. :neutral_face:

robroy:
Ahh so not just me then.
If true,.I’m on a roll , first outed him as Fagan & Whaley’s finest night man, now his latest non de plume. :sunglasses:
Love his cunning plan, re.incarnated as a female. :neutral_face:

Yep defiantly