And I was just worried about the concrete falling on my head

When I delivered concrete onto building sites in London etc at times they’d say you must stay in the cab , whilst 9 ton of concrete was hoisted up above the cab ,■■■■ that , but not in my wildest dreams did I imagine the 9 t of concrete & the tower crane might come down !!!

did it? :unamused:

Is Dozy trying to tell us, that he had a hand in the collapsing crane in East London
google.com/amp/s/news.sky.c … n-12024177

dozy:
When I delivered concrete onto building sites in London etc at times they’d say you must stay in the cab , whilst 9 ton of concrete was hoisted up above the cab ,[zb] that , but not in my wildest dreams did I imagine the 9 t of concrete & the tower crane might come down !!!

More bollox! Never in all your fantasies will any even half sensible crane driver lift over a cab with the driver in it! The lack of steak dinners mixed with the coke and crisps is going to your brain!!

kevmac47:

dozy:
When I delivered concrete onto building sites in London etc at times they’d say you must stay in the cab , whilst 9 ton of concrete was hoisted up above the cab ,[zb] that , but not in my wildest dreams did I imagine the 9 t of concrete & the tower crane might come down !!!

More bollox! Never in all your fantasies will any even half sensible crane driver lift over a cab with the driver in it! The lack of steak dinners mixed with the coke and crisps is going to your brain!!

I have delivered loads of steel where they have taken some off whilst I was on the back of the trailer unstrapping other stuff. So I can see them letting him sit in the cab if they would lift stuff off with me on the trailer.

Similarly I have delivered the composite parts of marinas when I have been stapping the chains onto the blocks as the crane lifts them off up in the air.

Not all sites are health and safety zones.

as above.
this is what happens when you couple a self attention seeking narcissistic fantasist with a complete lack of knowledge in any chosen subject .
stage 2 will most likely be the forthcoming friday night missed steak saga. :laughing:

biggriffin:
Is Dozy trying to tell us, that he had a hand in the collapsing crane in East London
google.com/amp/s/news.sky.c … n-12024177

Wow! :open_mouth:
Somebody is going to be in deep ■■■■ for that.

R.I.P to the lady who sadly lost her life.

Whoever done the load testing on that will have some questions to answer, it looks like the counter weights have caused the jib to flick 180 degrees.

kevmac47:

dozy:

The flaw in your argument is assuming all crane drivers are at least half sensible. :frowning:

youtu.be/sx3n54duJks

Not Duzies fault after all.
Unless he was doing a bit of moonlighting in concrete stabilization whilst on furlough.

kevmac47:

dozy:

Like most H&S offences, most of the time someone ends up getting killed is exactly because someone has been ordered to cut a corner somewhere.

A Crane operator and Trucker by themselves - no harm done, safety systems followed to the letter.

…Then out comes some jobsworth who wants them both to hurry up - or be disciplined for wasting time.

In the rush-hurry that follows, a load slips, and falls where it shouldn’t, or trucker has an “uncontrolled vehicle movement”.

It is about time that H&S legal action includes those locally responsible - being hammered by the law for it, rather than just the firm being fined, and maybe a staff member or two being suspended on full pay…

So what would YOU do if “Manager” demands you hurry up, only achievable by carrying out a deliberate unsafe act…

Happens every day, everywhere - if you look for it.

I always wondered why people paid by the hour “hurry” to do anything, or full timers on a salary “stress themselves about” by hurrying when surely they shouldn’t have to?

So-called Safe Systems of Working - seem to apply only to floor staff, and can be disobeyed or overruled by anyone in a clean hi-viz - with impunity. :imp:

Winseer:
So-called Safe Systems of Working - seem to apply only to floor staff, and can be disobeyed or overruled by anyone in a clean hi-viz - with impunity. :imp:

That is exactly why I told Stobarts Doncaster to take a running jump. Issue us with a risk assessment then say we are in the wrong when we follow it.

As for Dozy’s original comment. I had a similar discussion with a jobsworth on a container terminal who told me I should be wearing my hard hat in the cab. My argument was if 8t of steel wont stop the falling object, what will 500g of plastic do? OK, it ‘might’ if its very lucky and the load hits at just the right angle, save my life, but I’d rather be a mourned corpse than a resented burden for the rest of my life thanks.

nsmith1180:
I had a similar discussion with a jobsworth on a container terminal who told me I should be wearing my hard hat in the cab.

The way to handle this is to reverse the Health and Safety card back on to them. A good one is hitting your head on the door sill whilst (compulsory) wearing the hard hat, resulting in a cricked neck. This then has to be documented in the accident book.
You fight fire with fire in this game.

msgyorkie:

nsmith1180:
I had a similar discussion with a jobsworth on a container terminal who told me I should be wearing my hard hat in the cab.

The way to handle this is to reverse the Health and Safety card back on to them. A good one is hitting your head on the door sill whilst (compulsory) wearing the hard hat, resulting in a cricked neck. This then has to be documented in the accident book.

That works, a retractable fall harness that didn’t retract and became a trip hazard, or a fire bucket with oil in the bottom.

msgyorkie:

nsmith1180:

I’ve seen it listed in contracts of employment that “Anyone attempting to make a bogus claim against the firm - may be instantly dismissed without oustanding backpay and holidays being witheld to summount the company defence to such claims”.

I’ve also seen people actually sacked for things like “falling over a matchstick in the yard, and then trying to claim damages” as well.

In a working environment where everything is on camera, (except when an acting manager is in trouble, and footage is required to prove a case…)

I wondered with the sheer number of people being sacked in quick succession if there was an angle for "getting deliberately sacked - so one doesn’t have to work one’s notice, other job offer already accepted, and need that “tomorrow” start date to be met…

Certainlly, no one seems to ever worry about “bad references” anymore, so I guess doing things like “nicking stuff out of cabs that have driver-facing cameras in them” - is either the act of a dumbass, or someone who can’t get out of that place quick enough as it stands… :open_mouth:

Going back to dozy’s original post obviously the idea was to keep everyone else on site safe by confining him to his cab :smiley:

kevmac47:

dozy:

you aint done much concrete section deliveries into london building sites have you then kevmac, regular occurrence for the tower crane too be lifting concrete sections and assortment of all other stuff over your cab

scotstrucker:

kevmac47:

dozy:

you aint done much concrete section deliveries into london building sites have you then kevmac, regular occurrence for the tower crane too be lifting concrete sections and assortment of all other stuff over your cab

I drove a tower crane many years ago, and in later life a brick crane motor, in both cases it was a severe disciplinary offence to lift over a cab or any worker in the vicinity. A favourite request when unloading bricks was, can you put that pack on the scaffolding driver? Stupidity if you were daft enough to do it. I was never a saint, but neither was I crackers . Regards Kev.

My Dad tipped a load of mill scale off on the weighbridge in smethwick as they were swinging the skips over the Atki cab ,he did warn them ,the bridge was out for a week whilst they removed the plate and dug it out by hand .

kevmac47:

scotstrucker:

kevmac47:

dozy:

I drove a tower crane many years ago, and in later life a brick crane motor, in both cases it was a severe disciplinary offence to lift over a cab or any worker in the vicinity. A favourite request when unloading bricks was, can you put that pack on the scaffolding driver? Stupidity if you were daft enough to do it. I was never a saint, but neither was I crackers . Regards Kev.

biggest problem now on sites in london is there no space so crane op has no option its over the cab and over most of the workers onsite, they sound a mini claxon now to warn load is in the air but nobody pays attention to it except the drivers as they not used to hearing it some sites let driver stand outside on street, some will let you drop the trailer, but most will let you mill around watching