And I was just worried about the concrete falling on my head

kevmac47:

dozy:
When I delivered concrete onto building sites in London etc at times they’d say you must stay in the cab , whilst 9 ton of concrete was hoisted up above the cab ,[zb] that , but not in my wildest dreams did I imagine the 9 t of concrete & the tower crane might come down !!!

More bollox! Never in all your fantasies will any even half sensible crane driver lift over a cab with the driver in it! The lack of steak dinners mixed with the coke and crisps is going to your brain!!

Like most H&S offences, most of the time someone ends up getting killed is exactly because someone has been ordered to cut a corner somewhere.

A Crane operator and Trucker by themselves - no harm done, safety systems followed to the letter.

…Then out comes some jobsworth who wants them both to hurry up - or be disciplined for wasting time.

In the rush-hurry that follows, a load slips, and falls where it shouldn’t, or trucker has an “uncontrolled vehicle movement”.

It is about time that H&S legal action includes those locally responsible - being hammered by the law for it, rather than just the firm being fined, and maybe a staff member or two being suspended on full pay…

So what would YOU do if “Manager” demands you hurry up, only achievable by carrying out a deliberate unsafe act…

Happens every day, everywhere - if you look for it.

I always wondered why people paid by the hour “hurry” to do anything, or full timers on a salary “stress themselves about” by hurrying when surely they shouldn’t have to?

So-called Safe Systems of Working - seem to apply only to floor staff, and can be disobeyed or overruled by anyone in a clean hi-viz - with impunity. :imp: