Another one gone.

J1a-J2 Darenth M25

RIP Driver. :frowning:

Medical incident ?

Possible stroke or heart attack. There’s nowhere for you to safely run up off the road there, in the seconds you’ve got.
One of my old colleagues had some kind of Brain hemorrhage. He had managed to pull into a layby, phone in and say “I don’t feel very well”, when the phone went dead.
It took the rest of the day to find his parked-up wagon, with him by that point stone cold dead at the wheel within it, from what I heard at the time, back in the days before all vehicles were moment-to-moment tracked like they are nowadays.

It seems then, like there might be a time of a few seconds to a few minutes where you feel yourself going, and would instinctively try and get your wagon parked up, and off the road safe.

Obviously, in those types of RTA where the truck smashes into something causing blunt force trauma death - no one has any idea if the driver at the wheel died of a medical incident such as described linked above, especially when no real post mortem is possble, due to obliteration of the driver on impact.
I would imagine that in the event of a heart attack, rather than stroke - there’s a period of a few seconds where one might “feel themselves going”, meaning that more often that not, a driver has the opportunity to make that last professional move a driver can possibly make - getting the vehicle off the road in a fashion that no danger is then presented to other road users.

At places like M25 J1a-2 - it’s all slip roads and no hard shoulders in many parts, so such a place is the very worst place to “fall ill”, and probably contributes to the sheer number of ALL road users - who come to fatal grief there. :frowning:

J5-6 of the M25 - is another bit with diverging lanes, and no hard shoulder.

I don’t think it is any coincidence that such a large number of fatal RTAs happen on this stretch as well “Nowhere to get off the road in a hurry when you don’t feel well”…
The M42 near Shirley - is another spot I can think of that fits this description… “Managed Motorways” - which cannot manage one’s health, alas…

A bit scary in the linked article - when it talks about such “medical incidents” being a symptom of covid-19 as well, eh?

“No Previous History of” - suggests that such an oncoming condition - is unlikely to cause a pro driver to have been “medically retired” before reaching the point where they might die at the wheel in the manner described here. More research is needed, I reckon. Too much medical energy is based around “sleep disorders” and “regular migraines” it seems, at present… :bulb:

RIP…

Drive.

Emailed condolences to the company to pass on.