The tax man

So I did get letters saying I hadn’t paid enough tax & my code was changing ( it didn’t ) , then it was going to be a new tax code this year but still 1250 l , and now this week on nearly 1 k wages I’ve paid 12.20 tax , nothing about a rebate just tax £12.20 , what is going on , I’m paye so surely it should be straightforward
Or is it that I’m now paid apparently by next ls ltd & not easy solutions , or is it you earn 1 k apx a week then have 2 weeks hol & recieve no pay , so tax man thinks all that money he needs to pay more tax , then no money for 2 weeks so we need to give him tax back , but surely it would say something about a rebate , not just tax of £12.20
I thought paye was the way to go , obviously not

Your missus deserves a medal…

Go and find an earlier payslip which shows you earning around the same £1000 for the period and look at the amount of tax dedcucted. If the code is similar then the penny should drop.

Dear God you talk some giberish.

*sings
The taxman is comin’ to getcha …
The taxman is comin’ to getcha :laughing:

youtu.be/ZAWugfIKyWA

robroy:
https://youtu.be/ZAWugfIKyWA

Nah…

Sorry mate, it’s this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

Surely anyone with half a brain and a reasonable set of batteries in their calculator (or phone) could work out how much tax they should have paid. Oh, wait…

Roymondo:
Surely anyone with half a brain and a reasonable set of batteries in their calculator (or phone) could work out how much tax they should have paid. Oh, wait…

Really? What about NI. Do you deduct that before or after working out tax? And if before, how much? What about pension contributions? Are they taken off before tax is calculated?

I’ll wait…

Loads of good apps for this purpose

Are you with a new job and emergency tax code?

Dopeys tax calculation …

Stobarts + pseudo pay company = tax screw up x 10 fold

Any guesses on how big the tax bill is going to be??

This song is for when he is broke
bing.com/videos/search?view … 52BuFxuszw

WhiteTruckMan:

Roymondo:

Really? What about NI. Do you deduct that before or after working out tax? And if before, how much? What about pension contributions? Are they taken off before tax is calculated?

I’ll wait…

Pension contributions are Taxable but not included in NI payments. But should be counted as Earnings when working out your tax bill.
But this depends on the type of pension scheme. If you are making a contribution then you will receive tax relief on that and your employer will deduct that from you wages BEFORE tax. But Pension payments can be complicated by the fact that their are several different schemes.
NI is based on your gross earnings before tax. If you earn Between £183.00 & £962.00 Gross then it is 12% stoppages.
If you earn more than £962.00 Gross Then its 2% " Sum" £1000.00 per week. £0.00 to £183.00 Nothing. 12% £93.48 on the next £779.00 then 2% £0.76 on the balance of £38.00…So your NI payment for that week would be £94.24.

Hope that helps. One word though On pensions the taxable part is only for contributions made by an employer. Although this may be different on more complicated pension schemes

£114 tax this week so I think it’s the fact you don’t get paid when on hol on agency that causes the confusion with the tax people , they think your not paying enough tax , owe them money because you’d eArning £££££ ,s pw then you have 2 weeks off with £0 pay & it confuses them what’s going on , well I think that’s the case

Keep all the payslips and wait to the end of April 2021. Then you can add up all your income and all the tax and NI you have paid, together with any pension contributions to compare with your P60 when it comes. Before that, you can use one of the many free apps to see if you have had the correct deductions.

If it’s more complicated than that, you need a tax accountant to sort it out for you.

Been keeping pay slips ( email ) , but not sure I want to present them to tax office as they deduct 12 % of wages then pay it in wages each week as hol
Not botherd what happens to them if anything , but I’m to old for sleeping on a freezing cold cell floor , it had novelty when I was young , not now
Going full time is the answer

If your agency can’t sort their lives out and pay the correct amount of tax, which clearly by your post (if true), they can’t, then you need to get it sorted. It’s all well and goid them being idiots and whilst it may be nice having a bumper pay packet, when it comes to year end and the tax man checks your income against your tax paid and they send you a big bill then you’re the loser.

These things are best fixed ASAP. You don’t want to be on an adjusted tax code where they’re taking back massive amounts.

You’re nearly 60 dozy, how can you not be aware of this stuff?!

Now got a another letter saying tax code is changing as I owe them 133 apx pounds from last year they think ( words to that effect ) will owe them 20 something for this year , it’s unreAl , as I’ve said before I had no corrispondece with them for 40 yrs employed , or maybe the odd tax code letter once in a blue moon
Agency paye & it never stops , or when you think it has it starts again , hoping it would just go away but I guess I better ring them and ask what’s going on

A lot of government departments now use private companies for some of their work, they usually make a lot of ■■■■ ups because at the end of the day…they dont really know what theyre doing. :unamused: :unamused: