FURLOUGH

Can’t help you with the legal aspect, but thinking laterally you might do yourself and your present boss a favour here, he might be thinking of making someone or several redundant as so many will soon, a chat with him on the quiet maybe he’d make you redundant assuming you definately want to jump ship.
It goes without saying to not breathe a word of this to anyone else.

You still need to give notice just as if nothing was going on however you may find as Juddian said that they may be happy to let you go. Certainly even if they don’t unless there’s anything in your contract about not working elsewhere there’s nothing stopping you working for another company whilst you’re still furloughed at your current job and you can still receive your furlough pay as well as your new wage :wink: . You are still accruing holiday pay and are entitled to it when you leave.

Conor:
You still need to give notice just as if nothing was going on however you may find as Juddian said that they may be happy to let you go. Certainly even if they don’t unless there’s anything in your contract about not working elsewhere there’s nothing stopping you working for another company whilst you’re still furloughed at your current job and you can still receive your furlough pay as well as your new wage :wink: . You are still accruing holiday pay and are entitled to it when you leave.

That’s what I’m doing at the moment, on furlough as a coach driver and we’ve just had it extended to August so the chances of going back before next year are looking slim :cry:
I’m just happy to be paid for not driving a coach whilst being paid for driving artics :laughing: :laughing:
And yes my boss does know :wink:

Conor:
unless there’s anything in your contract about not working elsewhere there’s nothing stopping you working for another company whilst you’re still furloughed at your current job and you can still receive your furlough pay as well as your new wage :wink:

This is what I’d be trying to do in your situation. Milk it for all it’s worth!!

Seems rather odd that the taxpayer can pay 80% of someone’s wage, and someone can go out and earn money elsewhere without affecting the payment, presumably the furlough payment taking up most if not all one’s personal tax allowance meaning every penny earned elsewhere is taxed, possibly leading to higher rate taxes being triggered.

Does anyone else get the feeling that like the self employed agency driver situation, that the tax man will in due course come knocking, possibly accompanied by the furlough payment recovery team, this was surely never the intention of the scheme, to pay people to do nothing so they could earn pay elsewhere…not within the realms of possibility people doing each other’s jobs whilst being paid furlough through their repectful normal employers, i suspect the courts will be hearing some of these cases in due course when the costs are analysed.

Juddian:
Seems rather odd that the taxpayer can pay 80% of someone’s wage, and someone can go out and earn money elsewhere without affecting the payment, presumably the furlough payment taking up most if not all one’s personal tax allowance meaning every penny earned elsewhere is taxed, possibly leading to higher rate taxes being triggered.

Does anyone else get the feeling that like the self employed agency driver situation, that the tax man will in due course come knocking, possibly accompanied by the furlough payment recovery team, this was surely never the intention of the scheme, to pay people to do nothing so they could earn pay elsewhere…not within the realms of possibility people doing each other’s jobs whilst being paid furlough through their repectful normal employers, i suspect the courts will be hearing some of these cases in due course when the costs are analysed.

The govt have spelt it out - you are allowed to work elsewhere whilst on furlough, as long as you’re available to go straight back to your main job without notice

Ziltoid:

Juddian:

The govt have spelt it out - you are allowed to work elsewhere whilst on furlough, as long as you’re available to go straight back to your main job without notice

Well i’m buggered if i know.
Perma agency lads can’t get a shift, but others being paid by the general taxpayer(govts have no money of their own) can be paid for not working and take bread from the mouths of agency drivers who got nothing at all, let alone doing jobs temporarily that a someone made redundant could have had, seems a bloody weird way to run a country.

I was told by the boss I couldn’t work anywhere else while on furlough. I can’t drive trucks because
a) it would show on the digi card and
b) the TM has got my card so she can download it anyway.
I now wish I’d looked for some temp work driving a van or something. I would have done if I’d have known 2 months later I’d still been on furlough. I thought it would only be 2 or 3 weeks!

nomiS36:
I was told by the boss I couldn’t work anywhere else while on furlough. I can’t drive trucks because
NO ONE ELSE SHOULD HAVE YOUR CARD ! THATS AN OFFENCE , report it lost and get a new one :wink:
I now wish I’d looked for some temp work driving a van or something. I would have done if I’d have known 2 months later I’d still been on furlough. I thought it would only be 2 or 3 weeks!

blue estate:

nomiS36:
NO ONE ELSE SHOULD HAVE YOUR CARD ! THATS AN OFFENCE , report it lost and get a new one :wink:

Just what I was going to say… :unamused:

Agree with both of the above. My card only leaves my possession once every 3 months to be photocopied by the driver trainer and I’m watching him all the time he has it.

You need to get your card from your office.

In line with redundancy rules and the furlough timescale it’s likely employers will start the redundancy clock in July so any employees who are being finished can be made redundant by the time the furlough scheme ends

Um. Er.
What happened to the OP of this thread, i didn’t start it.

I thought you dunit as your name is on the thread starter bit

peirre:

Yep, dunno wots gone on here, can’t even remember who started it now, think i was the second responder :question:

Juddian:

peirre:

Yep, dunno wots gone on here, can’t even remember who started it now, think i was the second responder :question:

Are two threads merged here?

Franglais:

Juddian:

peirre:

Are two threads merged here?

Nope, don’t think so, hopefully the mods will remove the whole thread cos it now makes no sense.

Never does, juddian, never does! :smiley:

I know we don’t have any legal eagles here, but just out of interest I thought I’d share:
I’ve been made aware of a company, I won’t name them, who are claiming the 80% furlough for their employees while most of them have been doing some work from home, some of them pretty much full time from home, but now some of these folk are actually back at work doing what equates to their normal routine but haven’t been notified that they are off furlough so we can assume that the compnay is still claiming, all “for the good of keeping the company afloat”.

I’m not surprised by this kind of thing, but it does seem uncomfortably like the kind of old-fashioned exploitation which was the norm in my youth.