Royal mail driving assessment

Be careful you don’t get pulled for “running late” though.

You get a fixed amount of time on the 318 sheet for unloading and re-loading the DD trailers.
When it is BUSY, you find (At NDC) that you don’t always get the cross docking crew (A lot of Afghans there) helping out as they should, even if you go on the correct allocated bay at the exact time you’re supposed to.

Loading the full whack of yorks all by yourself in the allocated time - is a rush job that’ll keep you fit, but woe betide you if you leave more than 9 minutes late!
At places like PRDC or Medway Mail Center - it will often be the case on arrival at busy times that the shop floor is full of yorks when you get there, and you then cannot unload your full DD load on top. If you can find a manager, they might tell you to drop your full trailer, and take away an empty - but only if there IS one. If you are going to run late, you’re supposed to phone this number and get an “authorization code” that I had a lot of trouble ever getting, as no one wants to take responsibility. “Doing the best you can” - doesn’t seem to cut it though, and the main cause of me running late used to be struggling to get a DD turned around at a busy hub.

Parcel Force runs into Coventry Hub were a doddle by comparison, as you just drop a full trailer, take a break, pick up a full trailer to go back with, and job done.

If you can keep pace at the busy times, you’ll reap the benefit of the quiet times, when the entire job becomes an absolute dream.
Shift pay rates at Weekends are not much different from Mid-week neither, so it is the ONLY place where I’d describe a “Any five from Seven” contract - as a rather cushy deal as long as it’s local to where you live :open_mouth:
The main objection I ever had to working five shifts was being stuck with flat 8 hours x 5 rather than working 4 x12 and earning 20% more money, and 20% less commuting…
RM have a lot of shifts to cover that are over 10 hours all the time. 5x the optimum 10hr 55m shifts (only 1hr deducted for break) will net you nearly a grand per week top line.
If you do 5 x12 hours on the other hand, you’ll be deducted 90 minutes per shift, leaving you paid a 52.5 hour week which isn’t much more than the 49hr35m you’d get for 5x10hr55m shifts but you’ll be dead beat all the time. I woudn’t recommend a 60 hour working week to anyone, even a money grubber like me.