Halfords coolbox

I’m sure there are a few of you with them. I recently bought the big £90 one. On the whole the best thing I’ve bought for tramping. But… does anyone else’s drip water over everything, is this normal?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quite normal in any fridge with a conduction plate as moisture forms on it as it’s cooler than surrounding Air

Yeah mine drips water too, the most annoying thing is you can’t clean under the slatted top where the fan is, it gets really dust and dirty in there.

cmld2018:
I’m sure there are a few of you with them. I recently bought the big £90 one. On the whole the best thing I’ve bought for tramping. But… does anyone else’s drip water over everything, is this normal?

The short answer is that any moisture in the air, inside the box will tend to condense out as the air cools.
Petf3ctly normal in fridges of all types. Domestic fridges deal with such condensate but smaller portable fridges don’t.
Longer answers may involve spurious woffle about dry ice, hydrogen fusion etc.

Franglais:
The short answer is that any moisture in the air, inside the box will tend to condense out as the air cools.

Really?? That is amazing, condense out? There is a term I have never heard of, moisture is already condensed isn’t it? surely wouldn’t it turn to ice as the air cools and then condense when you open the lid as the warm air gets drawn into the fridge?? That would be my understanding of it. I would look it up on Wikipedia again.

In answer to your question, I have the large halfords one and it is a decent enough fridge for the purpose of tramping and its cost.It will suffer from dripping if you leave it open for too long or is stowed in a hot place, if you are placing objects into the fridge that already has condensate on it, like as bottle of milk or some other plastic bottle. Then that condensate will freeze and soon as you open the lid it will drip. A good tip is not to have the lid sat in the sun and cover it over with a towel or a jacket to help the lid keep cooler. wipe down any moisture off objects before being placed into the fridge. it will help you with a dripping lid.

Thought I had better jump in quick before anyone else, obviously don’t cover the fan intake and outlet grills.that is just the norm.

Rob Mac:
Yeah mine drips water too, the most annoying thing is you can’t clean under the slatted top where the fan is, it gets really dust and dirty in there.

If you look under the lid you will see a black thing that goes around the bottom of the lid if you remove it there a screws under it take screws out lid come off then you can clean it.

I have one of the smallest of Halfords coolboxes@ 14 litre capacity.
I’m seldom out for more than 2 nights at a time, so it’s adequate for my needs.
I think it cost £45, and I find it excellent.

Franglais:

cmld2018:

Petf3ctly normal in fridges of all types. Domestic fridges deal with such condensate but smaller portable fridges don’t.
Longer answers may involve spurious woffle about dry ice, hydrogen fusion etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
im amazed that longer answers dont over elaborate on the fact that a fridge is a fridge and a coolbox is a coolbox and that they are two different things altogether, surely anyone could google it and see the difference instantly…but there you go… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldog999:
surely anyone could google it and see the difference instantly…but there you go… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s the kinda…

Thing I’d expect a sooperdoopermegakwalifiediknoweverything fridge engineer to know.

yourhavingalarf:
It’s the kinda…

Thing I’d expect a sooperdoopermegakwalifiediknoweverything fridge engineer to know.

Also I would expect a silly comment from someone who claims to have pulled a fridge all over Europe but doesn’t know how the temperature settings work. I don’t think anyone is falling for it now though. Consider this your first ousting.

UKtramp:

Franglais:

Really?? That is amazing, condense out? There is a term I have never heard of, moisture is already condensed isn’t it? surely wouldn’t it turn to ice as the air cools and then condense when you open the lid as the warm air gets drawn into the fridge?? That would be my understanding of it. I would look it up on Wikipedia again.

Your correction that moisture is already a condensate, is accepted. Thanks.
The stuff about it turning to ice when warm air enters is beyond me.

fingermissing:

Rob Mac:

If you look under the lid you will see a black thing that goes around the bottom of the lid if you remove it there a screws under it take screws out lid come off then you can clean it.

Nice touch. Thank you very much!

My proper fridge

Sent while in furlough

Franglais:

UKtramp:

Franglais:

I am quite sure it is, take a MUCH deeper look into the magic +4 degrees I was telling you about but scoffed at. Not such an expert then?? Please never try to be an expert in refrigeration like myself, it is offensive and will always make you look silly. I think you owe it to yourself to find out as I am certainly not giving you of all people the answer.

UKtramp:

Franglais:

UKtramp:

Franglais:

I am quite sure it is, take a MUCH deeper look into the magic +4 degrees I was telling you about but scoffed at. Not such an expert then?? Please never try to be an expert in refrigeration like myself, it is offensive and will always make you look silly. I think you owe it to yourself to find out as I am certainly not giving you of all people the answer.

Rest assured, I have no desire to be
“An expert…like me”.

UKtramp:
Consider this your first ousting.

Like the two…

Mr Angry posts in a row you fired at me yesterday, cos you got very upset at me calling you a ‘pants pulled right down’ liar?

yourhavingalarf:

UKtramp:
Consider this your first ousting.

Like the two…

Mr Angry posts in a row you fired at me yesterday, cos you got very upset at me calling you a ‘pants pulled right down’ liar?

Not upset m8, just pointing towards the facts. You have stated that you have towed a reefer all over Europe, we now know that is incorrect, I honestly don’t mind what you say in the least, but you have to admit it is cringe worthy and pointless you trying to convince someone like me who knows reefers inside out. Personally I wouldn’t trust you with one of these coolboxes let alone a load of frozen meat. Nothing nasty is meant by it, it is merely a fact. You have been caught out. Just leave it there. As stated this is your first ousting. You simply come on to my posts and expect nothing back in return, that is very cowardly custard of you. Dream on as you really are having a laugh. Any way buy yourself one of these cool boxes they are excellent value for money.

blue estate:
My proper fridge

Sent while in furlough

You’re on furlough. Get your laminate fixed you scruffy [zb] ! :smiley: