Working for Hermes

I’ve just applied for a job at Hermes, they’re opening a new depot in Nottingham and was wondering if anyone has worked for Hermes before? If it’s worth my time or give it a miss…

I know nothing about Hermes. But I do know that any job is better than none. So what’s to lose? Go for it. When you’ve got a job, it’s easier to get another. I’m making the wild assumption that you’re not currently driving. If you are, then I would still have a look at it rather than bin it straight away.

Best of luck with whatever you decide,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If you don’t mind doing nights get on that as it’s far easier as all you do is bulk drop to larger subbies units , 10pm to roughly 6 am , only down side is while your waiting you have to help sort but that does make time go quicker

A relative of mine has worked happily for them for over ten years on afternoons , mainly trunking with occasional customer collection .
Not allowed to stop on route , breaks to be taken in depot at either end , only occasional downside, office desk jockeys always know best and try to stamp authority .

Moving this to the PDF as you will probably get more responses in that forum

Peter Smythe:
I know nothing about Hermes. But I do know that any job is better than none. So what’s to lose? Go for it. When you’ve got a job, it’s easier to get another. I’m making the wild assumption that you’re not currently driving. If you are, then I would still have a look at it rather than bin it straight away.

Best of luck with whatever you decide,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I already work for ATL however this one would be a lot closer to home. It’s not that I don’t like my job but it’s an 80mile round trip so would like to save money on petrol

blue estate:
If you don’t mind doing nights get on that as it’s far easier as all you do is bulk drop to larger subbies units , 10pm to roughly 6 am , only down side is while your waiting you have to help sort but that does make time go quicker

In terms of nights you never know until you try I guess. I wouldn’t mind helping sort because just sitting there drives me mad

I did 5 days at Hermes and didn’t like it.
As a new pass class 2 Hermes via Staffline were the only people accepting new passes. I thought I’d try it out since I wasn’t have any luck elsewhere but only lasted a few days.

They have a very high turnover of staff and are always recruiting. If your not working there is no harm in trying it out for a week or 2 and see if your experience is better than mine.

I’ve tried Hermes in Warrington class 1 on artic’s. It’s absolute garbage.

Almost impossible to get day runs, afternoon ruins are the norm. Gormless kids running the transport who delight in monitoring your driving, in-cab camera’s spying on you, gestapo style questioning if you stop for a ■■■■, full on FBI meeting if you have a harsh brake :unamused:

eagerbeaver:

Almost impossible to get day runs, afternoon ruins are the norm. Gormless kids running the transport who delight in monitoring your driving, in-cab camera’s spying on you, gestapo style questioning if you stop for a ■■■■, full on FBI meeting if you have a harsh brake :unamused:

After reading that, I reckon I’d sooner have HERPES than HERMES as a job. :laughing:
If they are watching and monitoring drivers to that extent, they clearly have ■■■■ all to do in their own jobs, so they should be made redundant wi :wink: th their wages shared out to the drivers.

I really don’t know how these sort of James Hunts get people to work for them under those conditions…and being told when and where to take a break? Wtf is that all about?
It’s maybe that way in factories warehouses etc, but in transport breaks are safety orientated, you may feel more tired than you did the previous day on same run,and NEED to stop a bit sooner, so are you just meant to crack on whilst fatigued or what? :unamused:
Have drivers just completely switched off nowadays in these sort of cases.

The usual answer is ‘‘This is how things are going now’’, maybe so, but only because these firms are allowed to go that way. :unamused:
It starts off as an inch, and graduates to a mile.

^^ jobs get like that because every time the company brings in yet another unacceptable rule, there’s only a few individuals who will take the ■■■■ and say something, almost no one will refuse outright because they are alone and the company can pick on them and make an example of how they deal with anyone who doesn’t do exactly as told, they like newby’s because generally they’ll do exactly as told being grateful for a start and on parcel artic work it’s not as likely to do any of the damage a new driver on say pallet work would, nothing against new drivers per se, we all had to learn somewhere.

This is exactly why drivers need a UNION now more than they ever have, that way collectively they can resist some of this ■■■■■■■■, sadly drivers seem to prefer this constant race to the bottom, their loss.

As for not stopping, i’ve worked on agency at places with that rule, never took a blind bit of notice, but i used me noddle and carried a substantial padlock which i’d put on the back doors and parked so the back doors were visible, not tucked away in the hedge, a bit of common sense to make sure all ends well.

robroy:

eagerbeaver:

After reading that, I reckon I’d sooner have HERPES than HERMES as a job. :laughing:
If they are watching and monitoring drivers to that extent, they clearly have [zb] all to do in their own jobs, so they should be made redundant wi :wink: th their wages shared out to the drivers.

I really don’t know how these sort of James Hunts get people to work for them under those conditions…and being told when and where to take a break? Wtf is that all about?
It’s maybe that way in factories warehouses etc, but in transport breaks are safety orientated, you may feel more tired than you did the previous day on same run,and NEED to stop a bit sooner, so are you just meant to crack on whilst fatigued or what? :unamused:

The usual answer is ‘‘This is how things are going now’’, maybe so, but only because these firms are allowed to go that way. :unamused:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, there are reasons as to why companies like Hermes run the way they do. They need trucks in their depots at specific times, to ensure the good scan be sorted and put on different trucks for onward delivery, and to avoid depots clogging up if all trucks were to show up at the same time. They have all movements planned like a railway time table, and if a driver decides to, say go get a mediocre takeaway coffee, or go fetch a mobile phone, it impacts on the whole schedule.
Imagine a train passenger, missing their connection, because the driver stopped for a nap…
But, apart from that, if a driver calls in, and tells the office that he is going to stop briefly, to get a coffee or go for a pish, then 9 out of ten, that is not a problem, because they know. They can tell you that they want you to do the trip in one go, but they can not tell you that you are not to stop when you call them.
One reason why they have to resort to these kind of rules is because of the caliber of driver their operation attracts. Steering wheel attendants, without the common sense that you find in general haulage tramper drivers…

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

eagerbeaver:

If they are watching and monitoring drivers to that extent, they clearly have [zb] all to do in their own jobs, so they should be made redundant wi :wink: th their wages shared out to the drivers.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, there are reasons as to why companies like Hermes run the way they do. They need trucks in their depots at specific times, to ensure the good scan be sorted and put on different trucks for onward delivery, and to avoid depots clogging up if all trucks were to show up at the same time. They have all movements planned like a railway time table, and if a driver decides to, say go get a mediocre takeaway coffee, or go fetch a mobile phone, it impacts on the whole schedule.
Imagine a train passenger, missing their connection, because the driver stopped for a nap…
But, apart from that, if a driver calls in, and tells the office that he is going to stop briefly, to get a coffee or go for a pish, then 9 out of ten, that is not a problem, because they know. They can tell you that they want you to do the trip in one go, but they can not tell you that you are not to stop when you call them.
One reason why they have to resort to these kind of rules is because of the caliber of driver their operation attracts. Steering wheel attendants, without the common sense that you find in general haulage tramper drivers…

I understand that, but if the schedules were not ‘‘planned’’ so arse tight, but with a bit of a time tolerance either way, there would be adequate room for manoeuvre, less pressure on the driver, and a much safer environment to work in.
This work was done in the good days before trackers and cab phones, I sure as hell bet the schedules were not as tight in those days, but planned in a sensible manner instead.

The class 2 is probly graft but the class one would be a doddle. I’d do it in the day but I don’t like driving at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Assuming it’s the new depot they have had built on the new industrial estate on the A610 it’s a small depot. Not got many bays at all and a relatively small warehouse. So that might make the job better or worse. But other than that I know zilch of what Herpes are like to work for. (typo intended).

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

eagerbeaver:

After reading that, I reckon I’d sooner have HERPES than HERMES as a job. [emoji38]

I’ve worked for Hermes and what you have described may be the theory. But in practise most folk who organise the transport side are utterly clueless.

Just one tale tells all.

Transport office " why has it taken you so long to get from Bradford to Surrey?
Google maps says it takes this long and it’s taken you much longer."

Answer…
"I’m driving an artic limited to 52mph and I had to take a compulsory 45 minute break enroute. "

Transport office. “What”? What do you mean? Google says it takes… etc. etc…!"

Absolutely useless.

Ok,that’s just one office.

But, on arrival, load wasn’t expected, no shunter so I ended up shunting umpteen trailers for them, eventually refusing as I was running out of driving time
Explained this to them… They just thought I was being awkward.

Other depots may be better. The hub in Nuneaton wasn’t too bad, unless you got the wrong staff member…Same as anywhere though that.

‘Proceed with caution’

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hope Hermes are better to work for than the service they provide, absolute shower.

eagerbeaver:

Yikes! - I put in for a C1 job at Hermes (among others) - I don’t mind so much now that there was only C2 work there, which I turned down…

There was me thinking that C1 work would be like Fedex/Yodel where the work is decent enough, just the pay a bit mediocre…

C2 work at Hermes - seems to be like Knowhow C2 work…

Can’t even deliver a driver, let alone the goods on back…

Winseer:

eagerbeaver:

Yikes! - I put in for a C1 job at Hermes (among others) - I don’t mind so much now that there was only C2 work there, which I turned down…

There was me thinking that C1 work would be like Fedex/Yodel where the work is decent enough, just the pay a bit mediocre…

C2 work at Hermes - seems to be like Knowhow C2 work…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAr0uk73Y58
Can’t even deliver a driver, let alone the goods on back…

Wow. Put on journo voice make it deep so it sounds more dangerous tha it was.

He shaved a brick. Hardly crime of the century.

Winseer do you drive a Foden by any chance seen one the other day in pristine condition in museum window. Apparantly it was driven from new and had never been in a bump. The driver apparantly wrapped it in cling film every morning before he left th yard to save it from overhanging branches as he didnt want it scratched.

I couldve swore it has been restored but the it stated all the facts on the plaque. Didnt state name of driver or he wouldve been knighted for his skillful entity in the transport industry.

I had an interview with them a couple of years ago as a new pass class 2 driver. I was put off by fact that they was willing to take a newbie so easily and said I wouldn’t need an assessment drive (struck me as desperate). Manager admitted they had a high driver turn over, which concerned me.

Wanted me to sign contract there and then without letting me see terms of employment, also the pay was ■■■■■■ I was getting more as a postman at the time.