14.6m trailers - what’s the point?

What’s the point in 14.6m trailers when they only carry 2 extra normal pallets?

DAF95XF:

The point is they can carry 2 extra pallets.

Likely spec’d by the accountants and managers who’ve never ever been close to an artic truck / wagon / lorry but listened to all the “this will save CO/2” marketing crap.

Suspect if they become more popular - the damage costs and extra cost of trailers will make them quietly disappear. Double deckers are a much better idea and they can be a royal pain.

Don’t actually understand why they cant put all the wheels further back rather than one set way behind which has to messup the pivot point.

Four pallets if you’re double stacking.

You can move fourteen 13.6m trailer loads worth of pallets with just thirteen 14.6m trailers. Given the fuel penalties are next to nought to the operator you could be saving potentially £400-£500 for every 364 pallets you need to move if you’re using them for trunk runs.

Don’t actually understand why they cant put all the wheels further back rather than one set way behind which has to messup the pivot point.

Because they’d cut corners even worse than they already do and they’d need even more manouvering space. I’ve been unfortunate enough to drive trailers with axles right at the back in the 1990s and they were terrible for manouverability compared with them being in the “normal” place and this was just with 40ft trailers.

Conor:
I’ve been unfortunate enough to drive trailers with axles right at the back in the 1990s and they were terrible for manouverability compared with them being in the “normal” place and this was just with 40ft trailers.

Am I reading this correctly? A self-proclaimed driving God is admitting to being outfoxed trying to manoeuvre a 40ft trailer with the axles a couple of foot further back on the chassis? :smiley: Pas possible! :smiley:

[quote=“trevHCS”
Don’t actually understand why they cant put all the wheels further back rather than one set way behind which has to messup the pivot point.[/quote]
UK trucks have to be able to turn in a certain radius, if they cannot they get rear steer axles and the like.

Double deck gives 4 extra and a 15.65m double gives 8 extra. That for some of our stores would be the difference between 2 standard deckers with a single doing an overspill run and 2 15.65 deckers. Not often we are at full weight anyway with all the crisps and homewares so those extra 16 pallets on 2 trailers saves a run doing overspill. Big saving if you have to do a 6 pallet overspill load to the isle of wight :open_mouth:

DAF95XF:

Exactly that !

R420:

Conor:
I’ve been unfortunate enough to drive trailers with axles right at the back in the 1990s and they were terrible for manouverability compared with them being in the “normal” place and this was just with 40ft trailers.

Am I reading this correctly? A self-proclaimed driving God is admitting to being outfoxed trying to manoeuvre a 40ft trailer with the axles a couple of foot further back on the chassis? :smiley: Pas possible! :smiley:

R420 / Conor ever tried a 40ft SINGLE axle Merriworth or Boden with the axle right at the back then you would be talking about manouverability

Dont you just love all the cab jockey experts. Who have the answer to everything its a wonder that they are not all operating there own fleets of vehicles.
Best you just take your instructions from your boss, and leave the complicated stuff to those that are paying for the equipment, and stop worrying about Whats The Point!.

R420:

Can you point out where in my post I said that? I just said they were terrible for manouverability because they were. And they were more than just a couple of feet further back on the chassis. Clearly you’re so new to the game with so little experience you’ve never pulled them.

lolipop:
R420 / Conor ever tried a 40ft SINGLE axle Merriworth or Boden with the axle right at the back then you would be talking about manouverability

No idea of the name of the manufacturers but the same place did have some trailers like that. It was Metal Drum Company down Wiltshire Lane Ind Est in Hull in the early 90s. They manufactured, as the name implies, metal drums for the chemical, paint and petroleum industries. Right tight arse company running a pair of knackered old ERFs and those old manky box trailers which were battered to hell. Dead easy job though and I was left completely to my own devices. Was in there full time on agency and they just gave me the keys to the truck and the yard and left me to organise my own start times and sort myself out. Shame the pay was so crap.

Does any trailer longer than 13.6 m not have to have a steering rear axle?
I thought they did, and if so, they will be easier to drive than a standard trailer.
(Never driven one, just asking)

Old John:
Does any trailer longer than 13.6 m not have to have a steering rear axle?
I thought they did, and if so, they will be easier to drive than a standard trailer.
(Never driven one, just asking)

Do a lot of work with 15.65 LST trailer and I was told in transport that its illegal to use without the rear axle steering. I find they pull and handle near enough the same as a normal 45’ one. Just don’t try and park in a tight spot in the services or you may not get out without removing someone’s cab (mega tail swing)

elsa Lad:
Just don’t try and park in a tight spot in the services or you may not get out without removing someone’s cab (mega tail swing)

Been there and done that with an Argos DD LST !! :blush:

Cannot see what the problem is the yanks standard trailer is 53ft ( 16mts ). :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

48ft trailers are pretty standard in Australia, no harder to drive than a 45FT.

steelgoon:

elsa Lad:
Just don’t try and park in a tight spot in the services or you may not get out without removing someone’s cab (mega tail swing)

Been there and done that with an Argos DD LST !! :blush:

:laughing: so its you who keeps bending the back end of the Argos trailers :open_mouth:

A Swedish company I know used to run two stepdeck curtainsiders to Spain, they were 15m in length. Didn’t get any overlength fines though, the red caps were usually satisfied with all the driving time and weight-related fines they got :laughing:

They are legally running 17m trailers in Russia and Belarus

fonzi:
Dont you just love all the cab jockey experts. Who have the answer to everything its a wonder that they are not all operating there own fleets of vehicles.
Best you just take your instructions from your boss, and leave the complicated stuff to those that are paying for the equipment, and stop worrying about Whats The Point!.

• 1 ^^^ :bulb: