You must drive with the hazradrs on in our yard

We go this warehouse and we have to drive rou d with the hazards on all the time, which I think is stupid, but in any case, how’s someone going to know if I want to reverse? Is it even legal, because you are breaking the highway code

Private ground , Highway Code don’t apply , site rules do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They get around the Highway Code gubbins by stating that it’s private land that the public do not have access to so HC guidelines are not applicable.

FWIW I agree wholeheartedly with you and it’s one of my pet hates. I once turned sharp right nearly colliding with a managers car at Nisa Stoke when he was too impatient to follow me at the site speed limit and decided that he must overtake me.

I didn’t even want to turn right as it happens but I did want to highlight the foolishness of their own site rules.

Press the wee triangle button on your dash. It takes about 0.5 seconds to do. Hardly the end of the world is it?

cgscott:
Press the wee triangle button on your dash. It takes about 0.5 seconds to do. Hardly the end of the world is it?

Nobody is suggesting that it is difficult mate, but what it does achieve is to create ambiguity. Not really the best thing to creatvwhen you’re mixing vehicular and pedestrian movements.

From what I remember when on multi-drop pallet work it is the norm when delivering to large warehouses and rdc’s. So much so I’d have my hazards on at the barrier before I’d even seen a set of site rules…gets you through a lot quicker if you at least look like you know what your doing!

Sploom:
We go this warehouse and we have to drive rou d with the hazards on all the time, which I think is stupid, but in any case, how’s someone going to know if I want to reverse? Is it even legal, because you are breaking the highway code

Agree and always met with a blank face when you point this out, but H & S says so, so it must be right.

I also think that it is nonsense, a%%covering at its finest. I went to a quarry in a big yellow eight wheel tipper and was told flashing beacons and hazards or get out. That was my welcome ,I hadn’t even opened my mouth or the door. On the weigh bridge I commented about hazards being on means I have no indicators. Our rules don’t like it don’t come back.

alamcculloch:
I also think that it is nonsense, a%%covering at its finest. I went to a quarry in a big yellow eight wheel tipper and was told flashing beacons and hazards or get out. That was my welcome ,I hadn’t even opened my mouth or the door. On the weigh bridge I commented about hazards being on means I have no indicators. Our rules don’t like it don’t come back.

Quarries covering them selfs because most shovel drivers are named Magoo

Sploom:

Site rules one place i go a driver was crushed by a reversing lorry with no lights. I find it easier to observe than argue

Site rules one place i go a driver was crushed by a reversing lorry with no lights. I find it easier to observe than argue

Nothing to do with the lorry not having hazards on I doubt! :unamused: Reversing lights and a bleeper or whatever but the misuse of hazards for reversing parking or anything else can cause confusion and is far from necessary and stupid.

You aren’t trained to use hazard lights when you reverse, they are only for when you break down

This started to be a site rule on many events and showground sites a few years back. Completely stupid as nobody then knows which way a vehicle is wanting to turn, so there a was a big campaign by marquee and other contractors against it and In general it has now been abandoned in that industry.

Sploom:
You aren’t trained to use hazard lights when you reverse, they are only for when you break down

No, but when you’re about to blindside off a dual carriageway into a side road it certainly helps warn people that you’re about to do something

Where I used to work hazards were obligatry from the point of passing the Security gatehouse, no ifs or buts.
If you was to be reversing most drivers knew by your positioning you where about to reverse into a trailer parking space or go onto a bay, not rocket science for a driver with any gumption to read the situation.

lolipop:
not rocket science for a driver with any gumption to read the situation.

I’m sensing a flaw in your statement! :wink:

Last year on a site in Gorton got a slapped wrist for coming off site without Hazards on, how did you know I asked the gateman, the site manager over the far side had noticed, He didn’t understand when I asked how did he see me as I hadn’t put the hazards on?

Sploom:

Well said, that’s why they are called break down lights, how did your training go when you were taught how to use them. Was it a residential course?
Here’s hoping you got the two for one offer and booked a seat on the initiative course too, on that one you’ll find all about a set of lights that help when, for instance, you have to stop on a live carriageway and maybe perform a manoeuvre that could cause issues for other road users, or, in the event of an approaching issue on a motorway you can a assist traffic behind you by advising them of a change of speed by use of the same set of lights. I’ve even heard of times when these lights are used at times of a delivery to advise other road users of both a stationary vehicle and indeed the possibility of pedestrians near the vehicle. I believe those are linked to the lights known as “hazard lights” but I’ll be damned if I know where they are.
Ffs chap, if you can’t follow some site rules then simply man up and don’t go on the site if it’s so important to you.
Oh, and yes, you’re not trained to use hazards when reversing, but then again you’re not trained to use a banksman so do you refuse that too when it’s the rules. :unamused:

Norfolkinclue1:

Sploom:

Well said, that’s why they are called break down lights, how did your training go when you were taught how to use them. Was it a residential course?
Here’s hoping you got the two for one offer and booked a seat on the initiative course too, on that one you’ll find all about a set of lights that help when, for instance, you have to stop on a live carriageway and maybe perform a manoeuvre that could cause issues for other road users, or, in the event of an approaching issue on a motorway you can a assist traffic behind you by advising them of a change of speed by use of the same set of lights. I’ve even heard of times when these lights are used at times of a delivery to advise other road users of both a stationary vehicle and indeed the possibility of pedestrians near the vehicle. I believe those are linked to the lights known as “hazard lights” but I’ll be damned if I know where they are.
Ffs chap, if you can’t follow some site rules then simply man up and don’t go on the site if it’s so important to you.
Oh, and yes, you’re not trained to use hazards when reversing, but then again you’re not trained to use a banksman so do you refuse that too when it’s the rules. :unamused:

You’re just being pedantic. You know full well that Sploom was attempting to say that during your driver training you were taught that four way flashers should only be used when you are presenting a hazard by your vehicles position.

You could argue that every single vehicle represents a hazard but that would just be ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as sites demanding that you turn on your hazard warning/ four way flashers when moving around their site.

the maoster:

Norfolkinclue1:

Sploom:

You’re just being pedantic. You know full well that Sploom was attempting to say that during your driver training you were taught that four way flashers should only be used when you are presenting a hazard by your vehicles position.

You could argue that every single vehicle represents a hazard but that would just be ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as sites demanding that you turn on your hazard warning/ four way flashers when moving around their site.

Guilty as charged sir.
Apologies Sploom.
In my defence I’m into week 6 in the same room ( yes it’s en-suite, no bottles or plastic bags, I’m proper posh ) because of this ■■■■ pandemic and my situation. I log in for the distraction, sometimes I’m just annoyed, others I feel like taking the ■■■■ a little and on rare occasions I might try to be sensible, so apologies again Sploom, I was just taking the ■■■■ a little.
For what it’s worth though, I will stand by one comment to a certain extent, if you don’t like it then don’t do it, at the very least you should challenge it if only to enjoy someone making an utter fool of themselves trying to justify some other office bods H&S nonsense… :grimacing: