Agency on the blag?

So I had a phone call from my agency and I think they’re on the blag so just wanted to check if anyone else has had a similar call.

I knew that from April large companies won’t take umbrella and are clamping down on ltd co, I was going to go PAYE with the agency. They called to say that large companies are refusing to take agency PAYE as they don’t want to fork out for the parity pay due to the Swedish derogation legislation.

They have come up with a “ltd company equivalent” umbrella company?! Now I’m not being funny, but I’m pretty sure that a LTD co equivalent is still bollox as I don’t have my own truck etc?

Has anyone else been told that the big companies won’t accept PAYE because they won’t pay parity after 12 weeks?

Seems very very strange to me that they would open themselves up to falling foul of hmrc, especially because I know for a fact I’m on more that the regular drivers as agency anyway! I think the agency are just trying to get out of the holiday pay etc.

Talk to me.

An agency on the blag?..

Do bears have rumbly tummies and dump in the woods?

Of course they’re on the blag, that’s what they do best. I’m with two agencies on seperate contracts, neither have tried to persuade me to change my PAYE status.

Tell 'em to do one.

Of course they’ll be lying/looking after their own interests/f ing drivers about/on the blag.
They’re agencies ffs, why do you need to ask? :unamused:

Trucking sideways:
Has anyone else been told that the big companies won’t accept PAYE because they won’t pay parity after 12 weeks?

Seems very very strange to me that they would open themselves up to falling foul of hmrc, especially because I know for a fact I’m on more that the regular drivers as agency anyway! I think the agency are just trying to get out of the holiday pay etc.

Talk to me.

My agency is one I consider to be reputable, they’ve always done right by me especially with my spinal injury and often at a not insignificant cost to themselves. They’re putting all their Ltd drivers on PAYE or they can’t drive for them any more. It costs them no more money to do that because the amount they pay their Ltd drivers is more than just a quid an hour extra, it’s what the hourly rate is when you include employers NI, holiday pay and workplace pension contributions so if the PAYE rate is £10/hr they’re paying something around £13.

We also recently got a letter through with an amendment to employment contracts because of the ending of the Swedish Derogation from April 6th and I got told what my new rates would be at the job I’m on.

I don’t want to go on the same hourly rate
As the regular drivers get as that would be a
Cut of over £3 ph + I like having as many
Hols as I want

Conor:

Trucking sideways:

Talk to me.

My agency is one I consider to be reputable, they’ve always done right by me especially with my spinal injury and often at a not insignificant cost to themselves. They’re putting all their Ltd drivers on PAYE or they can’t drive for them any more. It costs them no more money to do that because the amount they pay their Ltd drivers is more than just a quid an hour extra, it’s what the hourly rate is when you include employers NI, holiday pay and workplace pension contributions so if the PAYE rate is £10/hr they’re paying something around £13.

We also recently got a letter through with an amendment to employment contracts because of the ending of the Swedish Derogation from April 6th and I got told what my new rates would be at the job I’m on.

Exception to every rule it seems.

Conor:

Trucking sideways:

Talk to me.

Thing is, this agency have been really good with me. Always been straight up and honest and squared me away. This is why it’s come as a bit of a shock for them to pull this out the bag. It was a guy from head office and as soon as he started the pitch and mentioned “ltd company equivalent” I had already written them off as it was a ■■■■■■■■ sales pitch about trying to do me a favour.

I’m going to give the guy I’ve been dealing with a ring tomorrow and ask him what the crack is with it before I sever ties, I’ll see what bullshine he tries to spin me

Trucking sideways:

Conor:

Trucking sideways:

Talk to me.

Thing is, this agency have been really good with me. Always been straight up and honest and squared me away. This is why it’s come as a bit of a shock for them to pull this out the bag. It was a guy from head office and as soon as he started the pitch and mentioned “ltd company equivalent” I had already written them off as it was a [zb] sales pitch about trying to do me a favour.

I’m going to give the guy I’ve been dealing with a ring tomorrow and ask him what the crack is with it before I sever ties, I’ll see what bullshine he tries to spin me

Yep call his bluff and tell him you’ve had a good offer that you’re going to take up if the situation with them can’t be resolved.
If he thinks anything of you he’ll sort it.

The agency I work for, want to keep you on Ltd for another year, due to the government delaying the changes to the IR35 till April 21.

I would stay away from umbrella. As others have said the only concern for the agency is the amount of money that they make. The fact of the matter is that a Ltd company driver was costing them less than a PAYE driver. Now they feel that there is something that has to be made up and they don’t want to put up the rate charged to the client.

Amongst the horror stories of umbrella include employer’s NI being taken out of your quoted hourly rate (as well as employee’s NI). Also, expenses being inflated to such a level that you pay no tax and with responsibility for these expenses still falling on your shoulders and not the umbrella company. Also, in weeks where income may be down, the umbrella company may decide to still take a minimum fee. You can end up worse off than being on straight up PAYE. I also know of one instance where an umbrella company essentially kept a worker’s holiday pay and then paid the actual holiday pay out of the quoted rate of pay. If you are paid £11 per hour, you should take this home (after tax) every week and then get your holiday pay on top of that.

dozy:
Hols as I want

So did I - until the full timer “Poachers ■■■ gamekeepers” (drivers acting as managers) decided that all jobs can be done in-house, and ZHC bods can now be let go…
It was the same story at Royal Mail, and other firms that paid agency a premium - and now they either don’t any more, or they simply don’t employ anyone ON those “parity” rates…

They’ll regret what they’ve done - once they start finding their own number working 60-84 hour weeks, following the end of this “crisis”…

It is the nature of Depressions that once you lay a worker off long-term - the entire industry won’t ever recover to take them back on again, so the unemloyed person moves on to pastures new, possibly donning a military uniform in the process…

WWII ended the Depression. Are we really looking forward to WWIII ending this Crisis?

Look at the state of Italy now, in a civilian context… Left wing takeover, ousted the former right winger for trying to close the borders… I bet they regret throwing Salvini under the bus now.!
“Hard Ixit” on the cards, I reckon… It might already be a “work in progress” at this point.

Meanwhile, in Germany - they must be losing jobs and money hand-over-first as well…
Dunno what agency work looks like in Deutschland mind,…

I’m agency PAYE and because of this I’m getting furlough pay, and with the ending of the Swedish derogation will be getting around a £4 p/hr pay rise once things pick up.

Guess what the Ltd company guys are gonna get?

Winseer:

dozy:
Hols as I want

So did I - until the full timer “Poachers ■■■ gamekeepers” (drivers acting as managers) decided that all jobs can be done in-house, and ZHC bods can now be let go…
It was the same story at Royal Mail, and other firms that paid agency a premium - and now they either don’t any more, or they simply don’t employ anyone ON those “parity” rates…

They’ll regret what they’ve done - once they start finding their own number working 60-84 hour weeks, following the end of this “crisis”…

It is the nature of Depressions that once you lay a worker off long-term - the entire industry won’t ever recover to take them back on again, so the unemloyed person moves on to pastures new, possibly donning a military uniform in the process…

WWII ended the Depression. Are we really looking forward to WWIII ending this Crisis?

Look at the state of Italy now, in a civilian context… Left wing takeover, ousted the former right winger for trying to close the borders… I bet they regret throwing Salvini under the bus now.!
“Hard Ixit” on the cards, I reckon… It might already be a “work in progress” at this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsNWbfatRwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXTn3nPvNa0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7qeDFmewPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsXwygRs1w0

Meanwhile, in Germany - they must be losing jobs and money hand-over-first as well…
Dunno what agency work looks like in Deutschland mind,…

I just can’t get my head around why anyone would want to work
For the same rate as a employed driver
Yes I get £3 + ph more than them but I don’t get proper hol pay , meal
Allowance , redundancy , sick pay , uniform etc
So even though I’m £100,s of £,s better off
At the end of the week than them ( I know that as I worked as employed for them for
14 yrs ) ) , at the end of the day / year taking everything into
Account I doubt finically there’s a lot it in ,
Where’s if I worked for the employed drivers rate & had none of
The benefits they get I’d be ££££££ down on them
But to be honest as I’ve said before , having the option to
Have a hol as and when I want is far more
Important to me than how many £ a week I
Earn p.w
To be honest we’re now hearing of thee agency drivers getting £3/4 p.h pay rises to the same
Rate as employed drivers because of this
Swedish thing as I spend 40 yrs of my life
Employed and all I ever heard was how much
Agency drivers were earning more than
Employed drives , which now seems to be untrue
If they put me on the same hourly rate as
The employed drivers I’ll either go full
Time or leave

peirre:
I’m agency PAYE and because of this I’m getting furlough pay, and with the ending of the Swedish derogation will be getting around a £4 p/hr pay rise once things pick up.

Guess what the Ltd company guys are gonna get?

You can’t of been seriously working
For £4 ph aless than the regular drivers , we’ve got
Connor who’s meant to be at the pinnacle
Of agency drivers on about a pay rise
Bloody hell for 30 yrs as a employed employee all I
Ever heard was how much agency were
Earning more than employed drivers and that all
Employed drivers were mugs
I’m according to 99% on here thick , useless , unemployable
Yet I command £3 + more than a employed driver , yet you
Experienced agency driver apparently command £4 ph less
Than a employed driver
All a bit baffling to be honest

Perhaps the mistake I made a few months back - was turning down the chance to go full time, and go on the lesser rate…
Thing is, how secure are even the full time jobs right now?

A prolonged shut-down - will give us the answer soon enough, I suspect.
If there’s already a reluctance to take future company survival profits off anywhere but the bottom line expense of “agency premium”

• then they are clearly not going to be passing on any beneficial effect of the lower ongoing fuel prices to their full timers in the longer term. The ultimate “Race to the bottom” like happened in the 1930’s, where Labour became rock-bottom priced, whilst H&S went out the window…
    A recovery with a glut of lower paid drivers only, whilst all the premium drivers got cut off at the knees some time ago since by that point.

Let’s see the side-by-side attrition rate that will be evident as some agencies with some employer yards go under…
…before we even talk about any of our own number actually perishing from Coronavirus, and it’s social side effects upon us all as a working population, driver or not…

dozy:
You can’t of been seriously working
For £4 ph aless than the regular drivers , we’ve got
Connor who’s meant to be at the pinnacle
Of agency drivers on about a pay rise

I’m getting a pay rise because like Pierre the agency where I’m at are on about £3/hr less than the regular drivers not including all the bonuses they get where I’m at so the pay rise is because of the end of the Swedish Derogation and me getting the same as them from next Monday.

In the 20 odd years of doing agency work this is the only company I’ve ever been at where agency have been paid less. It pays an extremely good wage to its employed drivers, not just for East Yorkshire but for the whole of the country and even though agency got paid less the hourly rate for agency is the highest in the county so I’m not complaining. It can do this because it runs its own fleet to deliver the goods it manufactures to its own stores, it doesn’t run its lorries to make a profit.

dozy:
I’m according to 99% on here thick , useless , unemployable
Yet I command £3 + more than a employed driver , yet you
Experienced agency driver apparently command £4 ph less
Than a employed driver
All a bit baffling to be honest

Yeah but what are their drivers getting paid?

Agency drivers probably haven’t had a realistic pay rise in 10yrs so the gap between the regular drivers and the limpers has grown year on year. In fact going from the Hovis flour contract I was on that ended Xmas 2018, to the contract I was on till recently from the old one to the new one I dropped £0.10 per hour, but this new place is day work and consistent work without the hassle of handballing 1-10 tonnes of flour per shift and nights out that I previously did. The ending of the Swedish derogation will put another £150-£200 gross in my pay packet for the same number of hours I worked last week

Oh AFAIK the regular drivers at the last place I was at where on either £34,234 or £36,234 (I can’t remember which), as the details of the pay negotiations was stuck on the wall outside the office. They also get a flat payment of £200 for working on a Saturday.

No doubt Dopey will be saving the extra money he’s getting from his pseudo payroll company to pay the tax bill when the taxman comes after him when the clampdown on pseudo pay/IR35 :wink:

dozy:
I’m according to 99% on here thick ,

I think that’s a slight under estimation mate. :smiley:

peirre:
Agency drivers probably haven’t had a realistic pay rise in 10yrs so the gap between the regular drivers and the limpers has grown year on year. In fact going from the Hovis flour contract I was on that ended Xmas 2018, to the contract I was on till recently from the old one to the new one I dropped £0.10 per hour, but this new place is day work and consistent work without the hassle of handballing 1-10 tonnes of flour per shift and nights out that I previously did. The ending of the Swedish derogation will put another £150-£200 gross in my pay packet for the same number of hours I worked last week

Oh AFAIK the regular drivers at the last place I was at where on either £34,234 or £36,234 (I can’t remember which), as the details of the pay negotiations was stuck on the wall outside the office. They also get a flat payment of £200 for working on a Saturday.

No doubt Dopey will be saving the extra money he’s getting from his pseudo payroll company to pay the tax bill when the taxman comi
es after
him when the clampdown on pseudo pay/IR35 :wink:

I’m a paye not ltd

57AA92B0-1B7A-4698-880F-B92D067E1E65.jpeg

Net

EA1E871A-B3DD-4D68-AE5B-8BD78BDDE9B4.jpeg