Anyone been furloughed yet?

Got notice today that if volumes drop we’ll be getting furloughed.

So many questions about it but so little information.

80% pay but 80% of what? Contracted hours? Average hours?

Do we pay tax on the 80%? Holiday accrual?

So many questions , none would be needed if you’d put a
% of your wages away for a rainy day , that’s what is older ones have
Always done , not spend it on a computer game or a 30k golf r
On a pcp !!! B

At a guess it would be 80% of your contracted hours and also taxed. Don’t see why it would affect your holiday entitlement as you are effectively still in employment.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

With some sectors shutting down available HGV drivers should be offered work in other sectors that need drivers if they want to.

Perhaps Tnuk/truck and driver mag have some contacts this could be suggested to.

Additional payments on top of 80% should of course be offered.

I thought the way it was supposed to work was that the firm finds something else for you to do on full pay, and the government covers 80% of the payroll costs - by paying the subsidy to the FIRM rather than individual’s pay packets…? If that firm then doesn’t lay anyone off for the duration - they don’t have to pay the subsidy money back again. That makes those kept on effectively “unsackable” if you think about it…

In other words, all those firms with workers kicking their heels - have now got dogsbody people aplenty for 20p in the pound to do whatever they like with OTHER than “lay them off”…

Expect bods being assigned to sweep floors, clean trucks, do some H&S exercises, etc etc…

The firm won’t mind if a lot of your time is say, doing dogsbody duties - if they are only paying a fifth of your normal wage for you to be hanging around, scratching your arse most of the time… :bulb: :bulb:

Of course people are free to RESIGN if they wish, and the firm will probably have it’s managers leaping to hold the exit door open for those that even hint that “they are not satisfied at cleaning bogs, sweeping out trailers, and gathering empty containers together” for their contracted pay…

You’d have to be hard-of-thinking indeed - if you are even considering chucking your job in right now, full time, part time, or even ZHC. :bulb: :open_mouth:

possibily your most positive post ever winseer, heed his words and use them if applicable to yourselves… :wink: :exclamation:

My gaffer is an accountant and contacted HMRC to clarify the situation, he says, " the deal is, that we pay your basic wage, not average, and the Government gives us 80% back", not much good to me, I’ll be left with about £375 after tax and NI, I usually take home £700 on a working week after tax, and after pension deductions, so I’ve told him not to bother,he’s keeping me on the books, so still accruing holidays and I’m working for an Agency doing Morrison’s on £12.00 an hour. He also said, HMRC will be watching for anyone collecting the 80% and doing work as well, by the tax and NI payments they make.
Sapper

Not Haulage as such but a manufacturing company that runs its own vehicles has furloughed all its staff today in Goole.

Wheel Nut:
Not Haulage has such but a manufacturing company that runs its own vehicles has furloughed all its staff today in Goole.

Are they green or black and make joinery or kitchen units ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:

Wheel Nut:
Not Haulage has such but a manufacturing company that runs its own vehicles has furloughed all its staff today in Goole.

No but the Green ones may be next.

Wheel Nut:

blue estate:

Wheel Nut:

No but the Green ones may be next.

Did a little birdie tell you [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

sapper:
My gaffer is an accountant and contacted HMRC to clarify the situation, he says, " the deal is, that we pay your basic wage, not average, and the Government gives us 80% back", not much good to me, I’ll be left with about £375 after tax and NI, I usually take home £700 on a working week after tax, and after pension deductions, so I’ve told him not to bother,he’s keeping me on the books, so still accruing holidays and I’m working for an Agency doing Morrison’s on £12.00 an hour. He also said, HMRC will be watching for anyone collecting the 80% and doing work as well, by the tax and NI payments they make.
Sapper

Interesting… So the government only intends to cover the headline basic, so firms will be rather reluctant to let people have “extras” like overtime, as that won’t be subsidized.

Then you’ve got sideways-moving people from other areas totally shut down within the firm Eg. John Lewis over to Waitrose where there will only be enough work for the full timers shared out between them, and agency staff can be kept on via a single “Retainer” shift perhaps? If one’s ZHC contract gets re-written as say, a 15 hour contract in the meantime - then such ZHC workers would be discouraged from working at other agencies for the duration, as the 15 hour committment - might end up being a single shift at less than 24 hours notice - not much good if you’ve just picked up a monday-friday @ some other venue via a different agency…

HMRC will jump on you quickly if you “second job” though. I was doing the two agency jobs across Christmas 2018 until March… My RM earnings were being taxed @ 40% with 10% NI on top, so I was taking home exactly half of my earnings there, with my supermarket work getting the tax allowance, and paying normal tax rates on. Sundays pays a premium rate @ supermarket but RM were paying a flat amount regardless of day worked. This meant it worked best for me to do Sundays @ Supermarket and Monday-Saturday “any 4 or 5 from those six”. I wasn’t getting more than four shifts @ RM, so it worked out quite nicely at the time. I finished at RM early March a year ago, and got a tax rebate of course… Had I stayed until the end of March - I probably wouldn’t have got that rebate, or at least a substantially lower amount… HMRC did all this automatically - as sapper points out above…

Providing this transition of merging Ltd Drivers with PAYE rates (both rates becoming the same higher former Ltd hourly rate…) - then I don’t imagine the supermarkets having much of a Recruitment and Rentention problem… If they backpeddle though? There’s cuthroat competition as it is… I’m sure all of Tesco’s rivals (with the largest current market share) would dearly love to carve up that market share and get a bigger slice of the pie for when all the smoke clears…
It would seem like a good strategy then to “Recruit and Retain” drivers NOW rather than wait until things go back to “normal”… :bulb:
You don’t do that by promising a pay rise in April, and then taking it back, because the IR35 thing has been kicked down the road now…
Let all promises stand - I would tentetively advise firms at this time. :neutral_face:

My GF got furloughed at 10 am this morning. She phoned me quite upset, I immediately asked if they wanted the car back, she said that they didn’t, I then told her to grab the fuel card before she left. When she asked me why I told her that Deliveroo etc are gonna be snowed under that’s why.

Always got to have an eye on the main chance guys.

See on another thread it says about another firm mentioning average earnings, but this is the problem, not knowing.

It’s all here if anyone wants to read it.
gov.uk/government/publicati … oan-scheme

We Furloughed all our staff yesterday. All vehicles are being Sorn’d by the end of the month. We as a very small business invested hugely in our business over winter we are already set to lose huge amounts of money this year, working in outdoor events, May and June are our two most profitable months of the year by a long way.

Don’t think you can get actually Furloughed yet, it isn’t set up on the HMRC”s site yet, some information yes but the portal that you company would use to set it up and put the details in isn’t up and running yet, or wasn’t this morning.

Washwipe:
Don’t think you can get actually Furloughed yet, it isn’t set up on the HMRC”s site yet, some information yes but the portal that you company would use to set it up and put the details in isn’t up and running yet, or wasn’t this morning.

That’s the thing. How is it setup (when up and running), does an employer submit a number of weeks and pay an average of that similar to holiday pay?

Have heard it’s based on earnings in February?

We have furloughed our employees. We will pay the wages and then claim it back when the system is in place

blue estate:

Wheel Nut:

Make joinery and kitchen units. Got back from night trunk this morning, day drivers sent out as normal. Day drivers recalled later in the morning, got text through cancelling night trunk. Shut for the foreseeable. PAYE on agency so I’ll be getting paid to sit at home.

Pay is average of last 3 months up to a max of £2500 a month. Doesn’t include expenses.

Conor:

blue estate:

Wheel Nut:

Make joinery and kitchen units. Got back from night trunk this morning, day drivers sent out as normal. Day drivers recalled later in the morning, got text through cancelling night trunk. Shut for the foreseeable. PAYE on agency so I’ll be getting paid to sit at home.

Pay is average of last 3 months up to a max of £2500 a month. Doesn’t include expenses.

Is that the government guidelines being followed (ie 80% of your average over last three months) or is it just how your firm have dealt with it?