sat nav

I was an early adopter of Satnav and had the first version of Tomtom on a Nokia N70 in 2005. I’ve got by just fine using Tomtom for cars as an app on phone then standalone unit when they brought those out but have been using Google Maps on my phone for years, checking with a Truckers Map showing bridge heights and weight limits when I was unsure of a route.

I’ve trialled the trucking ones and they have tried to route down enough roads you cannot get a truck down and through enough weight limits etc to come to the conclusion they don’t really offer enough to justify spending money on one. For example going from Malvern to Hereford I go down towards Ledbury and the Copilot one will continuously try to get me to turn right at every road you come to to put me on the A4103. You only have to look up those roads from the A449 you’re on to realise there’s no way in hell you’re doing them in a lorry. Some of them have gradients and sharp bends as soon as you turn off that they even look like they’d be not that much fun in a car.

Hyh:
Royal Mail has a tablet thing in the cab with Co-Pilot Professional but I’ve never found it useful - You’re lucky if it ever works.

We have it on our Microlises. I used to think that it didn’t work either and froze but if you leave it a minute or two it’ll all of a sudden come to life and work how you think it should’ve done but for the first few minutes after firing up it just seemed to sit there unresponsive on a frozen screen. I think it’s because of the low spec of the android tablets Microlise use for their systems.