Truck satnav

Hi guys

Passed my class 2 last month and just started new job, training this week should be out on my own next week.

Any good satnav recommendations?

I found this one on Argos, seems to have good reviews.

argos.co.uk/product/7309546

Any advice appreciated
Cheers

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Garmin or Tom tom you carnt go wrong

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

That’s the same one that I use, no problems with it.

Would it not be better to have one that updates automatically/with subscription?
Live traffic updates etc?

I have a tomtom 620 professional.
Truck nav.
Can’t recommend it enough.
Pricey, but worth every penny.

trevorking1964:
I have a tomtom 620 professional.
Truck nav.
Can’t recommend it enough.
Pricey, but worth every penny.

I dunno if you ever venture into London but does your 620 have an ■■■■■■ every time it gets a chance to send you right through the middle of the city rather than any one of 20 different routes.

What is the difference between the 620, 6200 and 6250 (& any others I’ve missed). The 6200 looks a better option (doesn’t seem to use smartphone connection) but is cheaper and the 6250 is substantially more so what do you get for the extra £s?

Waste of money.
Personally, a phone is much better value.

adam277:
Waste of money.
Personally, a phone is much better value.

I’d agree. Garmin and TomTom have a wonderful built in feature - after about 3 years/300 k miles the screen goes blank. One can send it back to be removed and it’ll cost you about 75% of a new one… so one might as well buy a new one. I suppose they want to make up for their lost business to those wretches that buy phones and then install an app or several of their choice.

Only way is to check a satnav with some known roads. Here’s a good example as a member has posted on this thread hinting at the joys of driving in London - which I admit is great fun. N17 0YD, Brantwood Road, Tottenham destination was the Xtra Cash & Carry with an artic. My truck nav app attempted to bring me in from the West, thankfully I missed a turn further North which resulted in going East parallel to Brantwood Road and, then South coming in from the East going round the roundabout. It’s a lovely road, double yellow lines with cars double parked all along - not to mention the car dismantler firm that also park their recovery vehicles on the pavement. So little room for cars to pass on the road and each car owner a bit hot headed and pooping their horn - why do folk watch TV (pay for a licence!) you can go to Brantwood Road and have real entertainment for free. As I went round the roundabout two artics were coming out of Brantwood Road - let’s say smiles and hand waves were exchanged. Reasonably so I could add - if we’d hit anything we could have ended up as a kebab… joys of driving in London.

Just after the Cash&Carry entrance is Grange Road and just before a single car width restriction (lots of those in London). Hmm and my ‘trusted truck satnav’ said come in from the west. That would have resulted in a horrendous reverse… and another at the T junction. I had done some advance planning and was grateful for my notebook sketches.

Save your cash! Always route plan, checking with 2 or 3 satnav phone apps and the trucker’s atlas. Bridges are one thing to look out for, but weight limits and width restrictions are easily overlooked. I found the trucker app routing not so good compared with google and here maps - I simply would not trust a single app on its own. Google and Here maps on satellite view is a MUST in my view - google would have revealed the width restriction (check it for yourself). Google also shows named places which is a great help when postcodes are not so great - more often than not I enter the address not the postcode - then select the exact location with the teardrop thingy as it could well save you a difficult reverse and time.

I’d say always look at the route and think how other trucks get in there using a satnav as a guide - then check for bridges, one way, road restrictions and have an alternative should you find a surprise road sign. Applying common sense will serve you better than a satnav that “may” have updated maps.

With an artic for most destinations one does not need a truck satnav - the majority are just off main A roads only occasionally a bridge or road restriction. But always check - trucker’s atlas is a pain to carry but when you go into the traffic office they love to see it I have learnt. [But it’s big and the best case I have found is an A3 art portfolio].

Does anyone on hear use a tomtom 6250 pro mine always wants to take me off at J1a when approaching dartford tunnel it shows A282 in purple as a restricted road

Try this lads units out.I had a tom tom 6250 nicked gutting but it happens,i use an xgody and and app called road lords now .

Uncleskid:
Does anyone on hear use a tomtom 6250 pro mine always wants to take me off at J1a when approaching dartford tunnel it shows A282 in purple as a restricted road

Have you updated it?

Beetlejuice:

Uncleskid:

Have you updated it?

It was only new at Christmas and I did a map update this week just wondered if it’s a fault on my unit or wether it was a fault on their mapping

Uncleskid:

Beetlejuice:

Uncleskid:

Have you updated it?

It was only new at Christmas and I did a map update this week just wondered if it’s a fault on my unit or wether it was a fault on their mapping

Make sure it is fully updated,if it keeps doing that report it to tom tom :wink:

Beetlejuice:
Try this lads units out.I had a tom tom 6250 nicked gutting but it happens,i use an xgody and and app called road lords now .

an xgody I found one couldn’t update and road lords has mixed feedback in reviews. It may develop into a good app but is on beta at present.

Use both together that will be better than nothing.

If anyone wants tom tom call customer services and ask for a discount,tell them you lost your old unit…

Beetlejuice:
Use both together that will be better than nothing.

If anyone wants tom tom call customer services and ask for a discount,tell them you lost your old unit…

My truck phone app uses TomTom maps and I regret to say I find routing poor and not that up todate.

Uncleskid:

Have you got ADR selected and it’s avoiding the tunnel?

Or is it set to avoid toll roads■■?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

search.php