Can I delay taking my medical

It is in the subject matter, can you delay taking your medical. My case maybe a week or 2 weeks.
My medical is due mid february, and am waiting for an minor operation and until have had operation I will not pass my medical. After operation am fairly confident I will pass. I am 66 if that makes any difference.
Cant seem to find an answer to my question anywhere, so if you could supply the info you have my undying gratitude.!!

Yes you can - for tens of years if you want to

Simply cannot drive LGVs legally until D4 medical is valid again

As ROG says. You won’t lose fundamental HGV entitlement if you don’t have your medical before your licence expires but you won’t be able to drive HGVs after it has expired. Your HGV entitlement will be dormant until you do take a medical and are granted a licence. However, I believe you will still need to complete the driving licence application form and tick the box where you state that you wish to surrender your HGV licence because your car entitlement will expire if you don’t renew your licence (I’m willing to stand corrected on this but that’s my interpretation).

I did this a few years ago for similar reasons to yourself. A few weeks after my medical was due, and I had not sent a D4 medical form back, they wrote to me asking was I going to, and if not, to send my licence to them with a covering letter saying whether I did not want to renew at this time, but keep the entitlement so that you could submit a D4 sometime in the future, or give up the entitlement altogether. (I am not sure why you would do this ?) I wanted to keep the entitlement and they issued a licence with HGV removed. I then submitted a D4 some time later and was issued a new licence with HGV back on.
I thought their letter was strangely worded and it would be easy to confuse the difference between just leaving the D4 until later and keeping your entitlement “on hold”, with giving your entitlement up altogether. I cannot remember the exact words they used but I thought it was not entirely clear and in my covering letter made it obvious that I wanted to keep my entitlement and submit a D4 at some later time.
There are stories around about peoples entitlements “going missing” during situations like this so definitely keep photos of your licence as it is now etc.

If dvla enquire why you haven’t applied for the renewal just tell them you are going on holiday for a month and will do it when you get back

peirre:
If dvla enquire why you haven’t applied for the renewal just tell them you are going on holiday for a month and will do it when you get back

They did not ask me at all, but I get your point, DVLA are best kept on a need to know basis.

Thanks guys.