Train weight for a 16 ton prime mover

Hi, I’m looking at changing my 16 tonner for a new one. I’m thinking of getting a trailer coupling fitted to the new lorry so that I can pull a trailer to increase productivity. Would anyone know What the maximum train weight would be with a 16 ton prime mover and what trailer I’d need eg twin/ tri axle or A frame with front steering axle.

Thanks in advance

Max GTW 44 tonnes

if its a 2 axle rigid pulling a drawbar trailer on 3 axles , that’ll be 40t GTW, but it all depends on the spec of the rigid .

tony

As above, assuming the 16t prime mover is on two axles and the vehicle specs allow, your maximum gross weight would be 40t with a three axle trailer.

Isn’t it 18t with a 2 axle rigid/prime mover these days? Assuming it’s spec’d and plated so.

If you need to ask don’t bother cos it will probably be beyond you .
Mind you could always ask yourself under another user name…

Pogo60:
Hi, I’m looking at changing my 16 tonner for a new one. I’m thinking of getting a trailer coupling fitted to the new lorry so that I can pull a trailer to increase productivity. Would anyone know What the maximum train weight would be with a 16 ton prime mover and what trailer I’d need eg twin/ tri axle or A frame with front steering axle.

Thanks in advance

If it’s close coupled going for 40 t 2 + 3 will be a drive axle weight liability similar applies even in the case of 2 + 2.It’s also more involved than just fitting a ‘trailer coupling’ it’ll need plumbing and wiring for the trailer air/electrics supply IE drawbar spec.Better to also go for a lifting tag axle which will provide more tolerance of nose weight and 44t gross capability with a 3 axle trailer in whichever configuration A frame or close coupled.While technically only A frame configuration is train weight,close coupled is combination weight which is what creates the trailer nose weight v drive axle loading issues.A frame 3 + 3 is the way to go as the regs stand and the best all rounder for payload potential without any axle weight issues.

AS Tony says, while it may be legally 40 tonnes for a 2 axle rigid plus three axle trailer you will need to specify that you want a 4x2 rigid capable of running at 40t or whatever with a trailer. An 18tonne rigid vehicle, or the 16 tonne? you mention, will not necessarily be designed to operate at that weight. There are lightweight rigids which can be equipped to tow a lightweight trailer at maybe 24t all up and heavy weight rigids which are really long wheelbase 4x2 tractor units with a body which can tow a trailer at 40t all up. The latter will not have the same payload capacity on the rigid as a lightweight one.

ROG:
Max GTW 44 tonnes

If it is 40 tonnes then where did I get 44 tonnes from :question:

Beau Nydel:
If you need to ask don’t bother cos it will probably be beyond you .
Mind you could always ask yourself under another user name…

Yeah, I’m not generally for unhelpful smartarsery if I can avoid it but in this situation it’s probably this^

Could go 44 ton if he goes Scandinavian style with a 4 axle A frame but I still think ‘troll’.

Thanks for your help. Well most of you, not too impressed with the smart ■■■ answers from two of you. The reason I’m asking about a 16t lorry is that the 16t Volvo I run now is 4 inches narrower than an 18 tonner. If I go up to 18t I won’t get into most of my jobs as I work in rural areas so access’s is a problem. The other reason why I joined this forum is that I can find all the info about 18t that I need but 16t information is hard to find and I wanted to make sure that my thinking of maximum train weight was correct. The lorry will obviously be fully fitted with electrics and air couplings from the factory. Thanks for you help.

Is it any cheaper to buy the prime mover if it’s pulling an A frame trailer as opposed to close couple. Was thinking less weight transfer with an A frame so may be less beefing up of chassis or suspension. No idea as never brought on , just nosey.

ROG:

ROG:
Max GTW 44 tonnes

Got my answer = assets.publishing.service.gov.u … eights.pdf
44 tonnes if total 6 axles but OP only has 2 axle mover

Looking at the DAF configurator, the heaviest GVW on a 16ton truck is 28ton.
Although all the above posts recognise that a two axle truck, can be coupled to a multi axle trailer, the OP specified, and repeated its actually a 16t truck he runs, and it will be limited in engine size. Thatll likely be the limit in GVW in his case, not axle weights.

daf.co.uk/en-gb/trucks/3d-d … nfigurator

EDIT. Read GTW where I`ve put GVW, sorry.

ROG:

ROG:
Max GTW 44 tonnes

Not 44t unless it’s 3 + 3.

Beau Nydel:
Could go 44 ton if he goes Scandinavian style with a 4 axle A frame but I still think ‘troll’.

Our length limits won’t allow for a viable 2 + 4 configuration.IE 2 axle dolly and 2 axle 40 ft semi trailer.But would be an interesting idea.At which point might as well revise the regs Scandinavian style to allow an 8 wheeler pulling a 5 axle trailer making a 20ft and 40 ft container load viable.

Pogo60:
Thanks for your help. Well most of you, not too impressed with the smart ■■■ answers from two of you. The reason I’m asking about a 16t lorry is that the 16t Volvo I run now is 4 inches narrower than an 18 tonner. If I go up to 18t I won’t get into most of my jobs as I work in rural areas so access’s is a problem. The other reason why I joined this forum is that I can find all the info about 18t that I need but 16t information is hard to find and I wanted to make sure that my thinking of maximum train weight was correct. The lorry will obviously be fully fitted with electrics and air couplings from the factory. Thanks for you help.

Reduce the 40t max by 2t so 38t GTW with a 3 axle A frame trailer.For many of us an 18t 4 wheeler is a weird modern alien concept anyway.Like needing a class 1 to drive that outfit. :wink:

Franglais:
Although all the above posts recognise that a two axle truck, can be coupled to a multi axle trailer, the OP specified, and repeated its actually a 16t truck he runs, and it will be limited in engine size. Thatll likely be the limit in GVW in his case, not axle weights.

^ This ‘drawbar spec’ also means the right engine for the GTW.Not the Prime Mover’s GVW.( Unless you want a very quick 16 tonner ). :wink: :smiley:

In this case around 380 should be enough to get the job done ?.Often extending a tractor unit being a more practical solution.

Franglais:

Yep, basically this it will be whatever the GTW is on the biggest engined 16 tonner any manufacturer produces.

If access is an issue you’d be much better off just getting a shorter 26 ton prime mover.