Day out with a driver NORTHAMPTON

This sounds crazy…but before i spend a lot of money pursuing my HGV training…i want a day out with a driver to experience the job. How can i go about arranging this??

robsie99:
This sounds crazy…but before i spend a lot of money pursuing my HGV training…i want a day out with a driver to experience the job. How can i go about arranging this??

Going to move this to the main forum as you might get an offer there :bulb: :smiley: (if insurer is ok with it)

Your LOCATION might help …

Maybe go and have a chat with some of the small family run operations in your area, less red tape to deal with just the owner to convince.

I took a potential driver out for a day out many years ago when working for such a company, he had already got a licence, so boss said give a him a go on the way back.

He was a good driver, seemed to take to it far better then me when I first passed my test, but he decided what with a child on the way and already in full time work maybe it wasn’t for him, either that or he didn’t want to repay me for the bacon roll I’d bought him when we stopped for a break. :smiley:

Maybe join an agency get work as a drivers mate

robsie99:

where are you located?

I did a similar thing but I was lucky the warehouse where I worked ran their own trucks. So I just spoke to my boss and the transport manager asking if they could do it even if it was unpaid. Just so happened I was around at the right time when they had a rush job on.

the draw back of this is I thought I was a good driver and looked forward and planned well ahead. but 10 mins in the cab and my illusions came crashing down. he seemed to be seeing things and dealing with them when they were a tiny speck on the horizon.

If you do get a ride out just remember the guy driving may well have years of experience and don’t beat yourself up.
coop

I worked at Wreford’s transport for 10 years, and they used to let me take people with me. I took mates, girlfriends, even took my mum to Newcastle one night. It wouldn’t hurt to give them a ring, or pop in and ask, you never know, it might even lead to a job. They run a light haulage company called Woodview transport (3.5ton - 7.5ton), so perhaps you could start with them, and Wreford’s might put you through your training as they have close links with a firm called LGV Trainers.

Maybe do your cpc . Then if your of an age have 7.5 t .entitlement join an.agecny driving. As will give you a better idea what to expect. Most class 1 n class 2 work won’t be dissimilar just a bigger truck

robsie99:

You could do what I did, try and get a job on light haulage.
I started on a Ford Transit pick up, I was doing long distance and nights out for about a year, and by the time I got my class 1, I knew my way around the country,.which was valuable experience.
No sat navs then, those were the days when you had to think for yourself.

Even a job doing local work on a van, would be ok.
Trucks today aren’t that much different to driving smaller vehicles anyway, and it would give you an insight into the job, and help you decide if you wanted to go further.
On other hand, if you want my advice, look into doing something completely different. :smiley: