Light bar help

I’m looking to fit a light bar to my 2013 Volvo fm. I’m not very clued up and looking for advice? There is a rubber cap on the roof with wires once opened, do I wire the light bar to these or are they for something

Thanks very much for any help

Get a fitter to fit it properly and don’t risk messing around fitting ancillaries if you are not “clued up” in your words. Otherwise your truck might just end up in a ball of flames at some point. It needs to be wires in correctly with relays or a dedicated feed for such items and needs to be suitably fused and powered.

Wants all the wires running down to the fusebox and doing properly

As the others have said,do it properly…
Never underestimate putting light bars on,
It requires extra relys,wires etc.
Iv even known some fitters get it wrong so it’s not a job to attempt if your not sure what your doing

I remember years ago someone tried to fit a CB in a DAF 2100 which was fairly easy No it was not and he burnt out the entire cab loom the cab had to be rewired by a qualified electritan

I remember years ago someone tried to fit a CB in a DAF 2100 which was fairly easy No it was not and he burnt out the entire cab loom the cab had to be rewired by a qualified electritan

I could imagine the amp requirement for those lights will cause a serious drain on the electrics. I know the sidelights run all the trailer lights on our DAF CFs and blow fuses regularly, so any extras would likely fry it. Presumably the same with a Volvo.

As mentioned, I remember the first place I worked had a strict rule about no wiring by drivers after someone tried to put an inverter and fried the electrics. Those are simple compared to lights.

Do remember it has to be fitted so it won’t ever come off accidentally too else the liability is horrific.

Get yer boss to pay for the fitting…(AND the light bar) at least then it’s done properly.
It’s his motor after all. :bulb:
(Assuming you ain’t an owner driver :neutral_face: )

I’d suggest a visit to an optician if you need that much brightness.

Rick B:

We dont all drive on motorways and well lit dual carriageways, some of us actually use spotlights to light the wilderness up, not just to look good

chaversdad:

Rick B:

We dont all drive on motorways and well lit dual carriageways, some of us actually use spotlights to light the wilderness up, not just to look good

The ‘wilderness’ ? :smiley:
Lights on trucks are vastly better to what they once were, a rack of spots on the roof are fine, and yeh they do light up remote areas, but whether that degree of light is actually ‘needed’ is debatable, unless somebody has really poor eyesight, and if they do actually ‘need’ them, perhaps they should not be driving.
So to be fair I reckon 99 times out of 100 it’s show rather than necessity.
Any time I’ve had them they’ve been fine, would I pay for them out of my own pocket if I did not own the truck…not a chance in hell. :neutral_face:

If anyone wants them fitted, get them fitted properly. Spending lots ofcash on them, but risking electrical damage economizing on fitment is foolish.
I run in country areas a lot, and manage fine without them. Tree branches would be more of a problem hitting them, than lack of lights without them, IMHO.

robroy:

chaversdad:

Rick B:

The ‘wilderness’ ? :smiley:
Lights on trucks are vastly better to what they once were, a rack of spots on the roof are fine, and yeh they do light up remote areas, but whether that degree of light is actually ‘needed’ is debatable, unless somebody has really poor eyesight, and if they do actually ‘need’ them, perhaps they should not be driving.
So to be fair I reckon 99 times out of 100 it’s show rather than necessity.
Any time I’ve had them they’ve been fine, would I pay for them out of my own pocket if I did not own the truck…not a chance in hell. :neutral_face:

I get what you mean about modern lights (even though the headlights on my fairly modern Daf are ■■■■ poor)
It can be a bit rural running from somewhere like Campbeltown up to Fort William in the dark late of a night it just makes life easier to be able to see that animal stood in the middle of the road before you actually hit it , or your out in the middle of nowhere looking for an access road to a windfarm it helps if you can light everything up in the distance, although i agree if your running boxes out of Felixstowe then they are just for show (nothing wrong there either imo)