Amazon rdc tours

Did anyone else see the advert last night. Possibly half time in England game.
Amazon are offering free tours around the fulfilment centres.
Anyone going to admitt there going?

I’ve already been paid to tour round most of them so I think i’ll give it a miss. Once you’ve seen Tomasz and Marek sorting parcels for minimum wage in one depot you’v seen them all.

edd1974:
Did anyone else see the advert last night. Possibly half time in England game.
Amazon are offering free tours around the fulfilment centres.
Anyone going to admitt there going?

They should tour the high street instead.And show how they have managed to ruin them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

daftvader:
They should tour the high street instead.And show how they have managed to ruin them.

Supply and demand…

The internet is a new and vastly better way of buying goods. I could for instance, get in my car, drive to my local town, find parking, pay for parking, wander around a shop that may have what I’m looking for, go back to my car and drive home. Or, I could click my mouse whilst sipping tea in my study and get it delivered the next morning (possibly the same day) to my front door.

We live in a profit orientated world and the high street shop business model no longer stacks up. With supermarkets now running and improving home delivery, the days of the supermarket itself are numbered.

No, I wouldn’t take an Amazon tour.

yourhavingalarf:
The internet is a new and vastly better way of buying goods. I could for instance, get in my car, drive to my local town, find parking, pay for parking, wander around a shop that may have what I’m looking for, go back to my car and drive home. Or, I could click my mouse whilst sipping tea in my study and get it delivered the next morning (possibly the same day) to my front door.

A couple of months ago I was in Ramsgate, where I lived for many years and went to the High Street to buy a couple of bits and pieces, maybe a fiver’s worth at most. I was struck by how empty the car park was. When I got to the Pay and Display machine I found out why.

Three years ago, when I moved to the east Midlands, you could park for 30 minutes for 30p, now the minimum price was £1.60 for an hour. It’s almost as if the local Council want to kill the High Street off.

BMW at Oxford have tour parties too

How many centres do Amazon need?
They seem.to be opening at a fair rate

Try parking in a steet in Glasgow… £1 per 15 mins :open_mouth:

looks like the parking meters in Glasgow are on more p/h than most Amazon workers :laughing:

I’ve already spent what must add up to 6 solid months sat in them. I don’t need to add another hour.

Terry T:
I’ve already been paid to tour round most of them so I think i’ll give it a miss. Once you’ve seen Tomasz and Marek sorting parcels for minimum wage in one depot you’v seen them all.

I think the tours are to attract potential employees, maybe because Tomasz and Merek have decided to go to pastures new for various reasons.
They’ve been a lot of telly ad’s about how great it is working at an Amazon warehouse.

yourhavingalarf:

daftvader:

Supply and demand…

We live in a profit orientated world and the high street shop business model no longer stacks up. With supermarkets now running and improving home delivery, the days of the supermarket itself are numbered.

Yep it’s such a success and they’re losing so much tax revenue on the high street that they’re looking at ways of taxing internet sales.

muckles:

Terry T:

I think the tours are to attract potential employees, maybe because Tomasz and Merek have decided to go to pastures new for various reasons.
They’ve been a lot of telly ad’s about how great it is working at an Amazon warehouse.

I’ve heard that some of them will let you sleep in a tent in a field next to the warehouse. :wink:

Harry Monk:

muckles:

Terry T:

I’ve heard that some of them will let you sleep in a tent in a field next to the warehouse. :wink:

At least it ain`t a tin box smaller than a prison cell then !
:smiley:

They been on for a while but bet you cant talk to the staff away from the “guides”. Starts to sound a bit like North Korea.

Do I shop there, of course - if you want to work there feel free, its not slave labour…thats for the drivers in the waiting room delivering 1 pallet there.

High streets have been useless for years. Ours is 2/3 takeaways and hairdressers but parking is free. Go to nearest town and it costs a fortune, plus is either multistory so long walk.

I can understand the attractions of these corporate behemoths with their instant gratification models of retail but wouldn’t shed a tear at their complete demise tbh. If that’s the future,count me the ■■ out please.You can get anything they sell off ebay without the rural,uglifying monstrosities peppering the land to enrich that freaky,bond villain copy,la Bezos while, as has been mentioned,sucking the lifeblood from our towns and villages.A pox on amazon and all it stands for :smiling_imp:

We use Amazon a lot, the delivery service is brilliant via Prime.

Won’t shed a tear for the high street, nor the council who try their best to make getting into and out of town in your car a nightmare, and then closed all the public conveniences despite taking well over £2000 a year in rates.
That last bit is part of where the high street itself went wrong, insolent couldn’t care less you’re only a customer standard of service and staff only toilets even in quite large shops, not a problem when you shop from home, Amazon’s customer service is pretty blinking good too, any issues the good lady is on to them and they always sort it out.

No i won’t be taking a tour, once you’ve seen inside a big shed you’ve seen them all.

Juddian:
We use Amazon a lot, the delivery service is brilliant via Prime.

Won’t shed a tear for the high street, nor the council who try their best to make getting into and out of town in your car a nightmare, and then closed all the public conveniences despite taking well over £2000 a year in rates.
That last bit is part of where the high street itself went wrong, insolent couldn’t care less you’re only a customer standard of service and staff only toilets even in quite large shops, not a problem when you shop from home, Amazon’s customer service is pretty blinking good too, any issues the good lady is on to them and they always sort it out.

No i won’t be taking a tour, once you’ve seen inside a big shed you’ve seen them all.

Yep they’re a slick operation for certain but their totality is what irkes me,from the Draconian delivery experience,ie 6 hours in a paltry holding pen,rudimentary facilities,chock the wheels,disconnect suzies,etc,etc,to their feudal employment practices (cages anyone)?..timed bog breaks,it all adds up to a dehumanising,dystopian vision of the future,al la The North Korean Model.All of this underscored by a bald freaky meglamaniac,who I’m sure didn’t build all this from the sweat of his own brow,oh and his egos now so engorged,it thinks space itself is the next stop for him and others of his billionare plunderer set,Branson,Musk ad nauseum.
I prefer the John Lewis option for bigger ticket options,at least theres an underscoring partnership option at work there.Ebay can be a bit patchy now and again and I’ve long been of the opinion that anything bought in uk retail outlets is pretty much double the price it should be,ie vape liquids being just one instance,10 quid ebay,20 quid at my local hipsteries :unamused:
I sense me n thee are kindred spirits in our appreciation of our countries once cherished,quirky,traditions and customs but it’s precisely these cancerous corporations,Costa,Amazon etc that are the prime movers in facilitating the move to a sterile,characterless dystopia,a kind of circuit board, hyper managed population model(.Milton Keynes writ large).Bland uniformity allied with a voracious planet plundering business model, seems to be gathering momentum.

All for the sake of a slick procurement and delivery experience that’s as addictive as crystal meth.Count me out squire.

I can see where you’re coming from Manalishi, and i can’t argue the points you make.

Amazon have actually helped us withdraw from the world, which is kinda weird, if i never saw a high street again as long as i live that would be ideal.
Quite likely when we retire it will be a move to the wilds of what’s left of our once lovely but now concreted over country, anywhere where city types and the incomers would feel too isolated to survive.

Current minimum rate of pay at Amazon for warehouse floor - £9.50 (including agency staff). Not too shabby. 40 hours in 4 days, 3 off.