Allison gearbox on tractor units?

Franglais:

Star down under.:

Franglais:
Many moons ago, I remember an old Atkinson Borderer tractor unit with an Allinson box mated to a Gardner 180; two pedals with 5 or 6 speed box and two speed axle. Gear chosen by driver via stubby air selecter by steering wheel. Pretty sure buses and some fire engines had similar set up. That would have been made 1970-ish.
Smooth but thirsty.

That sounds more like SCG (Self Changing Gears (Coventry)), than Allison.

I could well be mistaken. I remember being told it was an Allison, but couldn’t say for sure it was.

Although not catalogued, Atkinson did build a small number of tractors with SCG gear boxes and this Borderer is one of the two survivors I know of:

Atkinson Borderer, TMG227M, Torbay Steam Fair, Brixham 06.08.2016 by Darren Gallop, on Flickr

The other is an unrestored Mk.2 ‘Silver Knight’ from about 1970 with a Gardner engine, as seen by Franglais perhaps. The SCG 'box was also used in a batch of nine 4x2 ‘View-Lines’ for Pickfords.

They did build a small number of heavier tractors with the Allison box - Graham Adams had one in a steel-cabbed 6x4 Atki tractor, and they also had a 6x2 View-Line with an SCG gearbox. Somewhere, I have an in-cab photo showing the gear selector of the Allison example

Later on, Seddon Atkinson supplied some Allison-equipped 400 Series to Watneys for trunking