Meal allowance/Night out pay what's the score?

I’ve spent all day looking through here, on the blower to HMRC, and to a payroll for some conclusions to the two " cough, tax free allowances" and whether I’d actually get them or not, and I’m still none the clearer [emoji849]

So question one,
Meal allowance.

Do you actually have to spend it and prove so?
And if you don’t, or say part spend it do they tax you on what’s left, or take it back, anyone know a clear answer please?

Question two,
Night out money.

Same as above [emoji38]
With the exception being I’d be looking to claim vat back on the ■■■■■■ I’d be buying a night as it’s an added unneeded expense to me, but I’d need to fill a receipt up so needs must.

For the love of God can someone please clarify for me the above as both HMRC and the company HR couldn’t give me a ■■■■ straight answer [emoji849][emoji24][emoji38]

As always, Thankyou all in advance your hugely appreciated [emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji41]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Benjie83:
I’d be looking to claim vat back on the ■■■■■■ I’d be buying a night

I once got charged VAT by an old German tart in Stutgaart.
Rough as arses she was, I said what’s with the VAT.
She said…

‘‘Vear and Tear’’. :laughing: :laughing:
I thank you. :sunglasses:
I’m here all week. :smiley:

I’ve never had to produce a receipt for a daily meal allowance or a night out allowance. Only for parking reimbursement.

Have a read here gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66205

robroy:

Benjie83:
I’d be looking to claim vat back on the ■■■■■■ I’d be buying a night

I once got charged VAT by an old German tart in Stutgaart.
Rough as arses she was, I said what’s with the VAT.
She said…

‘‘Vear and Tear’’. [emoji38] [emoji38]
I thank you. :sunglasses:
I’m here all week. :smiley:

You see this is why I come here, where else on tinterweb can you get comedy and facts… Oh, wait. [emoji38]

Cheers Mr rob, if nowt else I’ve now got the image of some bearded ■■■■■■■ to distract me from the misery of trying to earn a wage… [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

toonsy:
I’ve never had to produce a receipt for a daily meal allowance or a night out allowance. Only for parking reimbursement.

Have a read here gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66205

Cheers fella, I did find that earlier, then I looked for a kids version [emoji38]

Jesus I’ve never known so much bs in an industry in my life, from hours to expenses the whole things bollox [emoji24][emoji38]

Still can’t see a definite answer though, except to say as suspected if you don’t spend it, they will come calling for tax/NI on it, and if you do spend it, well, you ain’t got it anyway so what’s ■■■■ point in giving it out [emoji23][emoji23]

And as for night out money, pfft they said if you pay to park you get it back…
What about if you don’t?

Same as meals then. [emoji38]

Well this is how I see it anyway, but I am special so I can only apologise if I am missing the obvious here [emoji849]

Benjie83:
I’ve now got the image of some bearded ■■■■■■■ to distract me from the misery of trying to earn a wage…

I wonder if Wayne Rooney got tax relief from the granny in Liverpool

peirre:

Benjie83:
I’ve now got the image of some bearded ■■■■■■■ to distract me from the misery of trying to earn a wage…

[emoji38]

Poor Lass, shagging that must have ruined her mentally.

peirre:

Benjie83:

As I’ve said before on here…nowt wrong with bedding granny’s.
Ok the ■■■ ain’t too great, but you always get a ■■■■ good breakfast in the morning. :laughing:

robroy:

peirre:

Benjie83:

As I’ve said before on here…nowt wrong with bedding granny’s.
Ok the ■■■ ain’t too great, but you always get a [zb] good breakfast in the morning. [emoji38]

Man after my own heart.

Plus invariably they have good quality toothpaste too, dentures need a good paste to ensure abrasion doesn’t cause em to sharpen/blunt to quick, so you get to keep your pearly whites white, and give her a nice pearly white one aswell.

I just need to find one who can do drivers hours regs, HMRC, and breakfast, daily, and I’ll bang it more than the barn door on harvest week…

as above, never had to hand in a receipt for nights out expenditure yet, only parking when I pay for it. Some companies may insist on it but not ours at the moment

I worked for place once. Used get the obligatory £25 a night when out.
Used be given it cash in hand on a Friday.
Which was handy if had 3 nights out £75 in my hand filled me car up did a weeks shopping.
Then for some reason we still got the £25
But they started asking us for recipets (tax fiddle?)
So gave them receipts from Wetherspoons. Tescos when used buy stuff for.truck. etc

I pay tax on my night out money,and don’t get any meal allowances

commonrail:
I pay tax on my night out money,and don’t get any meal allowances

You shouldn’t be getting taxed on night out money unless your getting paid more than the tax free amount in which case unless it’s a lot more you could be losing out compared to just getting paid paid less but within the tax free limit.

Night out money there’s a tax free amount agreed by HMRC. Meal allowance you have to show that you incurred a cost, i.e you have a receipt. The receipt doesn’t need to be for the full amount that’s tax free .

Conor:
Night out money there’s a tax free amount agreed by HMRC. Meal allowance you have to show that you incurred a cost, i.e you have a receipt. The receipt doesn’t need to be for the full amount that’s tax free .

Cheers Conor [emoji106][emoji106]

So on the meal allowance, would they tax you on what’s left that you ain’t spent, I know it’s technically tax free but I trust not HMRC [emoji38]

If not then it’s buy a yorkie bar a day and live the dream [emoji16]

Benjie83:

Conor:

So on the meal allowance, would they tax you on what’s left that you ain’t spent, I know it’s technically tax free but I trust not HMRC [emoji38]

No it’s an approved amount so some firms may want proof. Mine never have. Neither did my previous one, or the one before that.

toonsy:

Benjie83:

Conor:

No it’s an approved amount so some firms may want proof. Mine never have. Neither did my previous one, or the one before that.

Tbh I’ve written it off the wage anyway mate but I do keep some hope… [emoji38] [emoji38]

Benjie83:

Conor:

So on the meal allowance, would they tax you on what’s left that you ain’t spent,

No, it’s a fixed amount.

Conor:

Benjie83:

Conor:

So on the meal allowance, would they tax you on what’s left that you ain’t spent,

No, it’s a fixed amount.

Your a gent Conor [emoji106]

I’m simply gonna spend it for first week then chance it [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t hmrc say they were going to start taxing night out money? Possibly this was last year?