Places that buy pallets

Has anyone used these places to get rid of pallets.
How do they work.

Is it cash in hand?or via a bank account…etc
And would.they just buy 1 or 2 plts at a time off me?.

Just curious as some drops we do they handball the stuff off the pallet then am left with the empty pallet. And wondering if be worthwhile cashing them.in.

Haven’t used one for years but used to make quite a bit selling pallets, completely legitimately. It used to be a cash trade, £2.50 for a good four-way pallet, less for a broken one, a bit more for a Euro, some weeks I could make £100+ in cash just by asking for empties when I tipped, and this was back in the early 1990s when £100 was worth a lot more. I normally used to offload 24 at a time but I don’t imagine they would have a problem taking one or two.

Used to do it all the time, rarely get pallets nowadays.
I once picked one of our trailers up after being told to collect an empty and bring it back to yard, from Glasgow.
I looked in the back there was about 10 to 15 new Euros in the back.
Got a phone call (on my way to flog em) asking what number trailer I was bringing back, when I told them I got ‘‘Oh yeh, that’s the one with those empty pallets on’’ :imp:
Lucky for me. :smiley:

Where I work we mostly do work for other company ie pick up one place deliver to another.
So we don’t really use pallets or have a need for any. And far as I’m concerned if place says can take empty back at min I just say no and then generally go into the skip. So am thinking may as well reycyle them.

There used to be a place near the northbound Blackwall Tunnel entrance that paid “cash in hand, no questions asked” - with various wagons from all kinds of firms - bringing in absolutely stacks of pallets around the clock… This was in 1990, and I think immaculate condition Euros were worth the most @ a fiver a pop. I was only a driver’s mate when seeing this about at the time, and by the time I got my own licence - the adverts along the roadside had all gone. I remember being envious of this clearly rather lucrative side-line!

There were also Forkies at the London Markets that used to take a bung at the start of each week, and they’d get you to dump your entire multi-stall load at one place about the market - which they would then distribute among the stalls, so everyone got their single pallet of stuff - saving you 90m-2hrs per night, or upto 10 hours of “made time” per week on your “job ‘n’ knock” job delivering overnight produce to the (supposedly) individual stalls, and being given “all night” to do it…

Would YOU pay a tenner or so per week to “make 10 hours per week” on YOUR job ‘n’ knock job?

I seem to remember “GKN” cages being very common about that time, but not for produce - just about anything else…

its a weird wood thats used to make pallets - now thinking pallets are made of a jungle woods over in the Tropics ?

I once had the luck to have the go ahead to get ‘rid’ of 300 good solid Euro pallets for a customer of ours. Sold them for £3 each to a pallet yard that used to operate down the A1 just before Colsterworth. £900 richer, the boss asked what I got for them and I told him £1 each as they were single trip ‘flimsies’ …poor old boy still gave me £30 when I got back :slight_smile:

Winseer:
There used to be a place near the northbound Blackwall Tunnel entrance that paid “cash in hand, no questions asked” - with various wagons from all kinds of firms - bringing in absolutely stacks of pallets around the clock… This was in 1990, and I think immaculate condition Euros were worth the most @ a fiver a pop. I was only a driver’s mate when seeing this about at the time, and by the time I got my own licence - the adverts along the roadside had all gone. I remember being envious of this clearly rather lucrative side-line!

There were also Forkies at the London Markets that used to take a bung at the start of each week, and they’d get you to dump your entire multi-stall load at one place about the market - which they would then distribute among the stalls, so everyone got their single pallet of stuff - saving you 90m-2hrs per night, or upto 10 hours of “made time” per week on your “job ‘n’ knock” job delivering overnight produce to the (supposedly) individual stalls, and being given “all night” to do it…

Would YOU pay a tenner or so per week to “make 10 hours per week” on YOUR job ‘n’ knock job?

I seem to remember “GKN” cages being very common about that time, but not for produce - just about anything else…

Ooh. I remember how big this can of worms was, I think it led to bloodshed and divorce. [emoji23][emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back when I was on the flour the plastic pallets they used for the product, they charged the customer a minimum of £50 deposit per pallet

images.app.goo.gl/qabRHP3Y54fUa3VK7

what do they do with them ?.

gingo:
https://images.app.goo.gl/qabRHP3Y54fUa3VK7

Buy them off you for £1.00 and sell them for £1.50 or whatever.

toonsy:

gingo:
https://images.app.goo.gl/qabRHP3Y54fUa3VK7

Buy them off you for £1.00 and sell them for £1.50 or whatever.

I must admit that this is one “futures market” which I never got to play…

I’ve bought and sold “wood contracts” however…

Sold some the other day, first time in years. Prices still the same got £2 each, hardly worth the hassle and they were euro pallets. Another money making scheme failed :imp:

elsa Lad:
Sold some the other day, first time in years. Prices still the same got £2 each, hardly worth the hassle and they were euro pallets. Another money making scheme failed :imp:

Depends where you are. Much like wages theres hotspots and hotspots.

Anyone remember that copper’s nark who set up a business taking photos of drivers selling pallets with a telephoto lens and then offering to sell the photos to the driver’s employer? I seem to remember his business failed very quickly when every haulier he phoned said “We don’t give a stuff”. :stuck_out_tongue:

on most major trunk roads and approaches to docks there was always someone on a biggish layby with a sign to buy empty pallets, always someone asking on the CB where the pallet buyers were, I think the price was about £1.50 each a bit more for euros but there wasn’t many euros in them days, some companies paid the driver a bit extra for bring pallets back to the factory.

elsa Lad:

The best I’ve had is £4 for a clean, white Euro. Everytime I pass a pallet yard I jot down the address in my diary and a quick interweb search will give me a contact number. 10 minutes on the phone can net me an extra £50ish by phoning those on my route. I’ve got mates who are proper pallet magpies and can boost their weekly wages by a couple of hundred quid a week.

the maoster:

elsa Lad:

The best I’ve had is £4 for a clean, white Euro. Everytime I pass a pallet yard I jot down the address in my diary and a quick interweb search will give me a contact number. 10 minutes on the phone can net me an extra £50ish by phoning those on my route. I’ve got mates who are proper pallet magpies and can boost their weekly wages by a couple of hundred quid a week.

My mate the same. Always ends up with stacks of them somehow. And we go to the same places most of the time!

When pulling a fridge or a box van dealing in pallets can easily bite you in the arse; I once tipped at a Lidl in the West Midlands and was left with two pallets at the front for another customer. Whilst at Lidl a discussion and exchange of money took place and I filled the trailer with empty euros safe in the knowledge that there was a pallet yard en route to my final drop. I got there only to find it closed 'cos the guy was on holiday. After 10 minutes sitting there with my head in my hands saying “■■■■ ■■■■ ■■■■ ■■■■” I spent another 10 minutes on the interweb and found an alternate yard. Nett result was a long weekend all paid for in Benidorm :smiley: :smiley: