Thoughts on these terms/rates?

So thought I’d Update this as of today 14/11…

Well I’ve decided to take the job [emoji53][emoji38]

Now I know I’m probably mad for doing so BUT I’ve used all the opinions given by everyone on here, all my personal one’s, and all my thoughts and reasonings and culminated it into a hopeful plan…

As a family I’ve worked out my wage on a 45hr bottom line week, totally binned of both the allowances and set that as my take home, the base line is ■■■■■ but it’s the foot in is the plan.

Now I can make it work at that so as to get some basic experience but its with a view to taking all the opinions into the mix, using it as a spring board, unless they are ultimately OK to work for then hey I may stay, but with a view to having faith in myself that I can/will achieve maybe a more suitable role as quick as possible as I’ve atleast got my duck broke so to speak with a hope any future employer will atleast give me time of day as I’ve done atleast abit of driving rather than none…

Thats my hope anyway.

Now as before and as always I’d like to say a huge thanks to all on here who’ve chipped in to my threads, your opinions are hugely appreciated no matter how diverse some of them are… ([emoji1787])…
and have helped give me a huge boost to push myself harder and aim for what I want regardless of confidence, and for that I am hugely greatful alone [emoji41][emoji41]

So please stay tuned all, as I’ve a range of new threads coming…
there will be gems like ‘how can I batter my planner?’ and ‘how do I get a 60hr week but still get home on the day I want?’ [emoji38][emoji38]

Again HUGE thanks everyone, and here’s to my new green nylon shirt and £9.00ph wage… [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Equivalent to £12.29 per hr gross pay■■?
I make it £11.12 per hr if you include the meal allowance, but as it’s not really part of your hourly rate I wouldn’t include it which would bring it down to £9.62 per hr. :open_mouth:
I’d keep looking if I were you.

It’s hard to say without knowing your exact circumstances. I’m in a similar boat with no experience at all, new pass bla bla, and tbh i’m interested in the take home total. Either way it’s more than i’m on now and if thats made up of tax free meal allowances then so be it. £5/600 take home to one man may be like winning the lottery but another may rather a night with the mother in law.

Equivalent hourly rate my aching arse! It’s right there in front of you, 9 ph days, less than 10 for nights. The bottom line only looks good if you work every hour god sends. And no overtime rate at all. Ok, a bit more for BH, but big whoop! Unless you’re drowning in debt then keep looking. You dont hand over your right to a family or social life in exchange for a hgv license.

Usual for Stobarts, basically your fine until you get holiday pay which won’t include any meal allowance therefore your hit in the pocket to have time off…

I was with ESL for 11 years, decent kit (well, it’s mainly new but soon bashed about by the poorer agency drivers of which ESL have many!) easy clean work (especially on Amazon work, you sit around for hours being paid for doing so)

For a starter you could do worse in terms of type of work, you’ll be doing RDC and Amazon delivers mainly, management leave a lot to be desired and you’ll get plenty of stick here and on social media but never in person in my experience.

Working environment depends on which depot, Stoke for example is run by a cretin with equally cretinous planning “managers”, Appleton a lot better from what I’m told.

Would I go back? No, that said I’ve got more experience than I care to remember so don’t mind whatever is thrown at me these days, for a new starter though they can be a sprint board.

I considered these when they advertised at Wakefield recently, thought about giving them 6 months. I then saw £9 per hour on that sheet and the thought was completely banished from my mind.

I think the bigger lot ie. Maritime, Stobart, Downton all pay around the same, around £475 for a 55 hour week on days when dressed up with the various allowances.

There will be some that won’t get out of bed for that but with the 3 mentioned above it’s better than a lot of the local smaller hauliers are paying for the same hours, in my area.

Can anyone explain to me what the 450 taxable at 18% means?

Ah think I see there taking tax off at 19% I thought basic was %20.
So but they don’t seem to take into account your national insurance plus your pension you have to pay into .
Unless stobbarts have an employee private pension scheme?

edd1974:
Ah think I see there taking tax off at 19% I thought basic was %20.
So but they don’t seem to take into account your national insurance plus your pension you have to pay into .
Unless stobbarts have an employee private pension scheme?

It is 20%. But your first £12500 isn’t taxable. Add on NI contributions and yearly deductions will be about 19%

If you are desperate and new, there are worse places. However van rates at our place in Manchester were 9.55 per hour for 2019-2020 and overtime started at 40 hours. That doesnt look good to me.

Just stick with it as once someone’s elected minum.wage be going up.
Corbyn said be £10.50 hr and am sure I heard Boris say will raise minum wage to about the same

albion:
If you are desperate and new, there are worse places. However van rates at our place in Manchester were 9.55 per hour for 2019-2020 and overtime started at 40 hours. That doesnt look good to me.

Thanks all, is hugely appreciated [emoji41][emoji41]

Albion this is kinda what I’m thinking, end of day as a newbie it’s the hallowed foot in the door, but it is shocking to me that even down here in the east I can be on near similar money van driving and getting home at night [emoji17]

WhiteTruckMan:
Equivalent hourly rate my aching arse! It’s right there in front of you, 9 ph days, less than 10 for nights. The bottom line only looks good if you work every hour god sends. And no overtime rate at all. Ok, a bit more for BH, but big whoop! Unless you’re drowning in debt then keep looking. You dont hand over your right to a family or social life in exchange for a hgv license.

But it’s not though is it?

If I work a 10 hour day I get paid £105

Those of us who can add up will realise that is more than £9 ph

Benjie83:

albion:

Albion this is kinda what I’m thinking, end of day as a newbie it’s the hallowed foot in the door, but it is shocking to me that even down here in the east I can be on near similar money van driving and getting home at night [emoji17]

Dont be put off trying for better paid jobs just because you are a newbie. I took on 2 lads under 25 when most places wouldn’t touch them. And they earned over 40k from the get go. In fairness we did double man so it was a bit like having a long assessment by the more experienced driver :laughing: :laughing: , but they were both good drivers.

An acquaintance of mine has just taken on someone that hasnt driven for 10 years and was up front that he needed to go out with someone to get his confidence back, so he had a week with another driver.

It can be difficult when going for an interview to not be nervous, but a license isnt the only important factor. I used to look at someone and want to know if they looked like they would fit in and would my customers think they were OK so look smart as in clean and tidy, be pleasant, and try to relax. Dont ignore small firms either, often the boss can remember being young and they aren’t hampered by rules from head office.

Benjie83:
Be muchly appreciated as always as to what you seasoned vets think…
I’d be looking at tramping Sun-Thurs with my wheel attendance during daylight and kip by the moonlight…

I’m a noob with zero driving hours under me belt foremost so hey I’m greatful for a door that’s for sure, but I’m just wondering if it’s about fair for a trampers wage in general before I make a decision…

As always, huge thanks in advance all [emoji41]

Don’t be put off mate, it’s hard to get started without experience and trust me, Stobarts is not a bad place to start, despite what many people say here. One of my mates is tramping sat-wed for Stobarts and he takes home 650 to 700 a week, job is easy, involves a lot of sitting arround and waiting.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

albion:

Benjie83:

albion:

Dont be put off trying for better paid jobs just because you are a newbie. I took on 2 lads under 25 when most places wouldn’t touch them. And they earned over 40k from the get go. In fairness we did double man so it was a bit like having a long assessment by the more experienced driver [emoji38] [emoji38] , but they were both good drivers.

An acquaintance of mine has just taken on someone that hasnt driven for 10 years and was up front that he needed to go out with someone to get his confidence back, so he had a week with another driver.

It can be difficult when going for an interview to not be nervous, but a license isnt the only important factor. I used to look at someone and want to know if they looked like they would fit in and would my customers think they were OK so look smart as in clean and tidy, be pleasant, and try to relax. Dont ignore small firms either, often the boss can remember being young and they aren’t hampered by rules from head office.

Bless you, yeah I think that’s the biggest part is the confidence to apply despite being new.

I know when I briefly spoke with you on here last year in a couple of threads I remember you saying you did double manning, and it’s something I’ve not forgotten advice wise from you since then so again huge thanks Albion, definitely shows haulage needs more ladies in the mix [emoji106]

In fairness the Transport manager at the depot yesterday was a lady and she was really sound, and her surrounding staff were also really nice folk too which is also a big bonus in confidence to me.

She was very accommodating with regards to shift patterns, and even offered to push I get 5 days on the road with one of their old hands instead of the company 2 days, again that was a huge confidence boost for me as ultimately I want to drive safe, and do any company I work for proud.

I’m going to take your advice and really go hunting above my weight a bit with regards to smaller firms and the like, your right everyone started somewhere, it’s a shame your not recruiting Albion, I’d pop up to Manchester now [emoji16][emoji16]

Neoo:

Benjie83:
Be muchly appreciated as always as to what you seasoned vets think…
I’d be looking at tramping Sun-Thurs with my wheel attendance during daylight and kip by the moonlight…

I’m a noob with zero driving hours under me belt foremost so hey I’m greatful for a door that’s for sure, but I’m just wondering if it’s about fair for a trampers wage in general before I make a decision…

As always, huge thanks in advance all [emoji41]

Don’t be put off mate, it’s hard to get started without experience and trust me, Stobarts is not a bad place to start, despite what many people say here. One of my mates is tramping sat-wed for Stobarts and he takes home 650 to 700 a week, job is easy, involves a lot of sitting arround and waiting.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Bless ya, cheers fella [emoji41][emoji41]

Nah as said to Albion a moment ago, Stobbys have been very good since the get go to be fair, from the training to an offer of work once passed which is massively appreciated, not many do offer it that’s for sure…

I Just wanted to be sure that if I’m gonna take a fettle of my golden starfish, it’s not going to be too raw an invasion compared to other similar roles… [emoji16]

Jesus our warehouse bods are on more than that !!

chrisdalott:

WhiteTruckMan:

But it’s not though is it?

If I work a 10 hour day I get paid £105

Those of us who can add up will realise that is more than £9 ph

No, you are paid 90, and get a 15 tax free bung on a technicality. They are being economical with the truth, to avoid things like holiday pay entitlement, pension liabilities, NI contributions and such. Those of us who can add up and see further than the numbers on the bottom line of the payslip will realize this, along with those who need to apply for loans, mortgages etc.

But there will always be someone gullible enough to be taken in, which is why we do a skilled job, sometimes under difficult or even dangerous conditions for a rate that’s not much better than sweeping the floor in McD’s.

decent job and pay for a newbie.
you will run legal and be sitting around for half your shift in a rdc gulag.
worse case scenario then move on six month later with some experience.
if you wreck anything then who cares compared to the normal weekly carnage they cause.