hermes

anyone know what sub depot clearing (class 2 ) entails with hermes , is it multidrop and lots of parcel handling ?

A sub-depot will usually be a small rented lock-up facility or an industrial unit where a group of couriers meet up to collect their parcels, which arrive on the lorry from the DC. They also send back all the returns through the sub-depot.

Class 2 runs with Hermes will usually be just trunking to a sub-depot, if it is a night run. If it is a daytime run, you will deliver about half your load to the sub-depot in a major town, and the remaining load will be delivered on a set route to couriers in rural areas. There is no doorstep deliveries of parcels involved.

I worked for Bridgwater depot about 5 years ago on agency.

I’ve attached a picture of a night-time load to a sub-depot. In this case, you will self-tip and you will be given your own keys for the depot when you do the run so you can let yourself in.

You won’t be handling parcels other then moving the pallets, my only guess would be you going to sub depot to collect pallet and any returns

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Easy job if night time as no clearing involved just delivering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okay thanks for the info … doesnt sound like my cup of tea , job is dayshift by the way

Funny thing with Hermes is, if there isn’t a sub depot at that major town, you will drop off 4 or 5 sacks to each courier in that town, typically only a few roads away from each other. The sacks are typically just thrown in the back, so it’s like a treasure hunt - Plus you get the joy of playing with those silly scanning gun things that never worked without a good whack on the side of the truck.

There were some better dayshift routes but those were never given to agency drivers. Nights are much better but depends on how that depot is (mis)managed as to how good it’ll be.

I did Class 2 nights for 8 months or so. I did their afternoon/evening Class 1 trunks for a bit and Class 2 days for 2 days.

Class 2 nights were £15/hour PAYE through agency
Class 2 Days were £10.50/hour PAYE through agency.

I kept getting offered this out of Thurrock but I wasn’t interested.

I haven’t heard great things about and many better firms nearby so never tried it.

blue estate:

Hello There i start this Job for Hermes this Monday Night i start at 7pm so just wondering what the job is like, i appreciate you having to pump Truck the pallets off at the Sub s by pallet Truck, but my one concern is, (and Please dont think i am splitting hairs) is the Worry of Getting Jacked, as Christmas time approaches and one is out there alone…Once you have delivered to a Sub, do you have to go back and Re-load from your designated Depot…PLUS are the Subs far between each other, and how many Sub Depots does one do within the 10 hour Nights ■■ Sorry for all these Questions, be you have been extremely helpful so far and that i am Thankful…Cheers Keith…

keith4usa:

blue estate:

Hello There i start this Job for Hermes this Monday Night i start at 7pm so just wondering what the job is like, i appreciate you having to pump Truck the pallets off at the Sub s by pallet Truck, but my one concern is, (and Please dont think i am splitting hairs) is the Worry of Getting Jacked, as Christmas time approaches and one is out there alone…Once you have delivered to a Sub, do you have to go back and Re-load from your designated Depot…PLUS are the Subs far between each other, and how many Sub Depots does one do within the 10 hour Nights ■■ Sorry for all these Questions, be you have been extremely helpful so far and that i am Thankful…Cheers Keith…

Hi did it about 4 years ago out of Hermes warrington. I was taught not to stop anyone if they in the road screaming for help don’t stop and also if the police try to stop you drive to nearest police station. most sub depots are either in small industrial estates with gates on the entrance which you have to undo the padlock on then lock your self in or either in these self storage places which have more security. The sub depots out of warrington where as high up as southport and wigan, across to port sunlight on Wirral and as far as stockport and buxton I think. runs I remember doing loading up at 11pm running to st helens and Kensington then run back wait a few hours then go do st helens and Kensington again. the others where 2 depots in stockport area or widnes, Runcorn and shanky. other depots I can remember are Kirby, haydock, Ormskirk, bootle and huyton. I know crewe depot come to Saltney north wales sub depot.
my overall option on the job now for £11 an hour it not worth the hassle or security risk now I look back at it.