Legislation changes: Strapping round timber

Original Article: ukhaulier.co.uk/news/road-t … nd-timber/

UK Haulier partner, K&S McKenzie Ltd. want to inform members that a new specification for timber haulage has recently been implemented.

This new specification means that STF (Standard Tension Force) must now meet or exceed 400daN in order to comply with new timber strapping legislation.

An STF rating of 400daN is achieved by using a long-handled pull-down (ergonomic) ratchet, which can apply a greater tensioning force on the webbing.

Read down article it says they have invented a new strap specially for timber.
So basically theve decided to invent a new strap which they want us to buy.
And are hoping to make a law that requires them.
Yet a standard ratchet strap does the job anyway

Just all a money making con

I’ve no idea whether or not the regulations have changed but it does read like a sales pitch disguised as information about a rule change.

It would be more impressive and more believable if they posted a link to the rules they claim are new.

I just had a look on the .gov site and I can’t find any legislation about specific types of ratchets on there. Instead it provides a link to the timber transport forum who publish a timber haulier’s code of practice. The latest edition is from 2012 and has nothing at all mentioned about ratchets, only the amount of straps required depending on the length of the logs.

The link in the OP is an advert. In fairness to the company, the pull down type ratchets do make it easier to get the straps bar tight but the ad is misleading.

https://www.ukfisa.com/assets/files/safetyLibrary/Timber%20Transport%20Forum%20Haulage%20Code_of_Practice.pdf

https://www.ukfisa.com/assets/files/safetyLibrary/haulage/FISA%20TTF%20A2%20Timber%20Strapping%20Poster%20Sept%202019.pdf

And if theyre quick enough (16 days and counting),theyll be able to blame it on the EU!
Same as silly flashing lights on the rear of tankers and other such daft stuff,that “industry” has brought in,which is now the norm.

Can you not use chains anymore ?

Just money for old rope, ain’t it…