Have Muller joined the race to the bottom?

I have enquired about a day job at Muller, I worked for them years ago and thought it was a good job but could never get the right shift and lost patience in the end. Was always a 39 hour contact, 45ish in reality (OT at x1.5) and just generally a steady own account gig. They said the start times for this job were 5-8am on the tankers so I thought I’d give it a whirl.

Got a phone call back today and got told they are looking to recruit for 6 on 2 off, so I thought it must be short shifts then… nope 10 hours a day. So 60 hrs a bloody week.

What’s happened? Or are they just painting the worst picture possible to weed out those of us to rather like a work-life balance.

What a great idea for a recruitment drive.

Let’s make them work a day extra…whilst simultaneously whipping away their weekends.

You couldn’t make it up!

Let’s…

Screw the drivers so hard they don’t want to do the job anymore and then we’ll have to pay shedloads of money to shifty middlemen agencies who frequently supply lacklustre drivers for lordonlyknows how much an hour.

Then, becasue no one wants to do the job we ■■■■■■ up, anyone we do recruit will have to work 60 hours a week because we can’t get drivers to cover the work.

You couldn’t make it up could you.

I work for an own account firm with relatively good terms and conditions - 37 hour basic weeks, OT at 1.5 thereafter, Full sick pay and attendance bonus paid yearly. Get a good 6k+ in overtime in too,( still less than 48 hours a week).
Then the firm transfered their logistics to a nationwide haulier, although I’m on the exact same t’c and c’s due to TUPE, any new starters are put on a 48 hour contract, no overtime rate, and the basic rate is a quid less an hour than what I get. And there is no sick pay or bonus. Would hate to be a new starter on that knowing your colleagues are on a much higher rate for the same job!

I was talking to a great bear driver at
Asda , now tuped over to sparks , on £12.50
, sparks paying £10 ph
For new starts

6 on 2 off? That means you are working 12 shifts in a 14 day spread (6 on 2 off 6 on) does that screw your 90 hour max ?

I work for Muller and recently had the displeasure of finding out they don’t pay sick pay until after 1 years service… I needed the full week off due to a sprained wrist from a tumble off my mountain bike. There goes a weeks pay! Fkers.

If anyone is interested -
Base rate £9.69/hr
1.5x after 8 hrs
1.5x all day sat
2x all day sun
23% bonus on 9.69 (works out at £11.91) for hours worked between 18:00-04:00

The pay is not terrible, but you have to work naff unsociable hours to get it.

HOP 2 IT:
I work for Muller and recently had the displeasure of finding out they don’t pay sick pay until after 1 years service… I needed the full week off due to a sprained wrist from a tumble off my mountain bike. There goes a weeks pay! Fkers.

Base rate £9.69/hr
1.5x after 8 hrs
1.5x all day sat
2x all day sun

Why do you not have insurance to cover you for cycling accidents/incapacities? Furthermore, why would you expect your employer to pick up the tab?

Tude:

HOP 2 IT:

Base rate £9.69/hr
1.5x after 8 hrs
1.5x all day sat
2x all day sun

Why do you not have insurance to cover you for cycling accidents/incapacities? Furthermore, why would you expect your employer to pick up the tab?

insurance for mountain biking to cover time off work?!!? I really have heard it all now.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There would have to be TWO hours of breaks every shift - to get the actual “paid hours average” over a reference period - down to 48…

Bigger fool all those who continue to permit breaks + POA to NOT count towards one’s reasonable 48 hour working week then.!

I’m looking for a 48 hour 4x12 hour shift night job (any four shifts per week - I don’t really care) where one’s breaks and poa - count TOWARDS that 48 hour total… Everything above that is Overtime, thus any 5th shift I worked - would be at overtime rates, and whilst not available in terms of “hours left” for every single week - would still permit me to take a 45 weekly rest every week, if nothing else…

THAT is how I see my own personal “work/life balance”.

Until such shifts become on general offer though? - I’m happy to stay on agency, where the holiday pay build-up these days - gets one through the quiet weeks. Nothing “Not-to-like” here…

Dont know why people get so consumed about the WTD? Yeah obey it but dont lose any sleep over breaking it. Nothing will happen. The world will still turn. Even the authorities dont particularly give a toss about it leaving it as the preserve of the pointy shoed warrior.

Has any driver ever been convicted of a breach of WTD regs? I’m unaware of any so a link would he handy.

Having said that Winseer you can look for a job with made up rules but you’ll not find it because the pointless WTD are still rules so your break and POA wont count towards your average across the whole industry because the pointless rules say so.

As for two hours of break/POA in a shift? That’s easy. Really easy. I’ve averaged about five hours daily sat round doing bugger all waiting/on break althogh it’s all been shown as break as most of it has been spent in my bunk. I did 61 paid hours last week (six days) but my WTD calculation includes only 38 of them actually driving or working. The rest I was just chilling! Often I’m done delivering about 10am and get a collection at 3pm or something.

toonsy:
As for two hours of break/POA in a shift? That’s easy. Really easy. I’ve averaged about five hours daily sat round doing bugger all waiting/on break althogh it’s all been shown as break as most of it has been spent in my bunk. I did 61 paid hours last week (six days) but my WTD calculation includes only 38 of them actually driving or working. The rest I was just chilling! Often I’m done delivering about 10am and get a collection at 3pm or something.

Do we work at the same place? That ^^^^ sums up my working week perfectly.

It’s 6 on 2 off for 5 weeks then you do 6 on 3 off (Fri, Sat, Sun) then 5 days on then 3 days off again (Sat, Sun, Mon) then back to your 6 on 2 off. My brother does the reload trunking rather than the farm collections and says it’s the easiest job he’s ever had.

7 am start and out the gate at 5 pm every night regardless.

1.5 x after 39
1.5 x all hours Saturday
2 x all hours Sunday
3 x all hours on bank holidays

Circa £32000 a year give or take. Not bad at all for a day shift job in Central Scotland.

Yes you work xmas and new years day if it falls on your days on but that’s the nature of the milk the cows don’t take a day off.

the maoster:

toonsy:

Do we work at the same place? That ^^^^ sums up my working week perfectly.

No, but we do contract for one of your clients up at the Cat and Fiddle (ie the stuff you guys dont want :laughing: )

Expanding on the above point… today I didnt move a wheel for five hours in the middle of my shift.

Max weight in a merc as well. ■■■■■ that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk