Stobarts offer/assessment

Hi all

Finally got a job offer from Stobarts after passing class 1 in June after at least 100 applications! They are going to offer me an assessment at the local depot, Teeside? Stockton? nearest to Newcastle, not sure but anyway …

If anyone has been through this process any advice/experience of the same appreciated.

Cheers

Not seen much of dozy round these here parts recently… [emoji848]

marsbars:
Hi all

Finally got a job offer from Stobarts after passing class 1 in June after at least 100 applications! They are going to offer me an assessment at the local depot, Teeside? Stockton? nearest to Newcastle, not sure but anyway …

If anyone has been through this process any advice/experience of the same appreciated.

Cheers

100 applications? Not literally surely?

TruckerWannabe123:

marsbars:
Hi all

Cheers

100 applications? Not literally surely?

Ive sent my CV off to everyone and everybody :stuck_out_tongue:

marsbars:
Hi all

Cheers

Very likely to be Teesport (Tesco contract). You will probably either be doing store deliveries or trunking with deckers to other Tesco RDCs (Goole, etc).

Take the offer, it gets you experience, then move on, the assessment should be easy going by the standards of some of their attendents, just mind the bridge’s…

Hopefully it should be a run of the mill assessment drive with the coupling and uncoupling of a trailer, quick drive around the block, and perhaps a reverse onto a bay.

There may also be theory test about tacho laws, road signs, etc.

Remember to put your card in and do your walk-around checks before heading out onto the road.

Hope this helps. :grimacing:

If you really want to impress the assessor, be sure to set your height indicator to the correct height before leaving the yard.

ezydriver:
If you really want to impress the assessor, be sure to set your height indicator to the correct height before leaving the yard.

Good call ^^^^^ it’s the little things that count!

It goes without saying that once you pass the assessment and are in you can set the indicator to 9 feet and leave it there! Seems to work for the others. :wink:

Thanks all, greatly appreciated :smiley:

I will deffo take the offer and keep my head down for 12 months :stuck_out_tongue:

So pretty much a rerun of the test for the assessment then?

I wouldn’t have considered the height indicator tbh Cheers :blush:

marsbars:

Yeah, on my last 2 assessments the height indicator was on the passenger side, so I made a point of asking the assessor to change it for me. Both times they were impressed and commented that nobody ever asks that. It just creates an impression that you’re a professional who pays attention to detail, and that you’ll probably never hit a bridge.

Another thing I did was getting them to check brake lights on unit and trailer if the key fob didn’t work. On one assessment a brake light was out on the trailer so we had to change the bulb. Interestingly, the assessor told me I didn’t have to do the walk around checks if I didn’t want to, as he knew the vehicle was ok. Make of that as you will.

ezydriver:

marsbars:

Yeah, on my last 2 assessments the height indicator was on the passenger side, so I made a point of asking the assessor to change it for me. Both times they were impressed and commented that nobody ever asks that. It just creates an impression that you’re a professional who pays attention to detail, and that you’ll probably never hit a bridge.

Another thing I did was getting them to check brake lights on unit and trailer if the key fob didn’t work. On one assessment a brake light was out on the trailer so we had to change the bulb. Interestingly, the assessor told me I didn’t have to do the walk around checks if I didn’t want to, as he knew the vehicle was ok. Make of that as you will.

Just a thought, how do you know the bloody height in order to ask them to change it? I’m assuming as a newb they tell you?!

Do you think anyone ever falls for the ‘you don’t need to do the checks’ routine? :open_mouth:

marsbars:

ezydriver:

marsbars:

Just a thought, how do you know the bloody height in order to ask them to change it? I’m assuming as a newb they tell you?!

Do you think anyone ever falls for the ‘you don’t need to do the checks’ routine? :open_mouth:

If the trailer is higher than the cab, then look at the trailer headboard, and the height will be marked there. It will probably give the height based on a 1.25metre 5th wheel height. In my experience most 5th wheels sit at 1.25metres high, but some lorries, such as Scanias with midlift axles sit at 1.32meteres when the axle is up (and 1.25metres when it is down), which is about 3 inches higher. If I were on an assessment, I would just add 3 inches onto whatever it says on the headboard and set it at that. It shows you’re aware of heights and low bridges. If the trailer is lower than the cab (unlikely), you’ll need to know how high the cab sits. There may be a sticker inside or outside the cab giving you this information, or the assessor will more than likely know.

nomiS36:

That’s because school started back a couple of weeks ago, so his mam will be limiting internet access until he’s done his homework :laughing:

ezydriver:

:

Don’t be stupid, with a silly comment, he wants to be a driver not management … if he sets it correctly he won’t hit a bridge and will fail in his quest… :open_mouth: :frowning: :slight_smile:

nomiS36:

He’s using the spare time while he’s not working during bleak season to spend 3 weeks away on holiday & i suspect he’s house hunting in Benidorm, though with the recent weather he’d be better off buying a houseboat

ezydriver:

marsbars:

ezydriver:

marsbars:

If the trailer is higher than the cab, then look at the trailer headboard, and the height will be marked there. It will probably give the height based on a 1.25metre 5th wheel height. In my experience most 5th wheels sit at 1.25metres high, but some lorries, such as Scanias with midlift axles sit at 1.32meteres when the axle is up (and 1.25metres when it is down), which is about 3 inches higher. If I were on an assessment, I would just add 3 inches onto whatever it says on the headboard and set it at that. It shows you’re aware of heights and low bridges. If the trailer is lower than the cab (unlikely), you’ll need to know how high the cab sits. There may be a sticker inside or outside the cab giving you this information, or the assessor will more than likely know.

Based on your assumptions that the assessor would probably know, my assumptions are that the driving assessor probably got his job because it was easier & cheaper than sacking him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t matter what others say you will get some good experience with Stobart and take
Home a decent enough wage from them. Get yourself 12 months with them then you will be able to walk into pretty much any other job if you want.

Rowley010:
Doesn’t matter what others say you will get some good experience with Stobart and take
Home a decent enough wage from them. Get yourself 12 months with them then you will be able to walk into pretty much any other job if you want.

That my friend is most definitely the plan :smiley:

marsbars:

Rowley010:

That my friend is most definitely the plan :smiley:

What he said