Pays to be honest

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my earlier post about me looking to get back into LGV driving after a 30 year spell in the motor trade …

I have always kept my licence up to date and recently renewed it and obtained the tachograph card…

When I did this I sent a few emails out to different large companies to see if they would consider employing me at the age of 55 which no experience… I was expecting a lot of negative replies but I have been surprised… 4 replied saying give us a call once you get the Driver CPC up to date and we will have you over for an interview and assessment…

Once, the first one to reply and local to me said call over for a chat which I did on Friday… I left there with an offer of a job! they are prepared to wait a couple of months whilst I do my 35 hours periodic training but will take me on sooner if I get it quicker…

They have allowed me to do 4 days a week, days only which is what I wanted to start with… wages work out about £1000 less a year than I am on in the motor trade for the same 4 days BUT, they pay overtime and that is available plus the big thing is I would do a 32 mile round trip to work rather than the 100 miles a day I do now, so saving 10000 miles a year in fuel, so the £1000 is nothing really, and not bad for a “newbie” or “novice”…

Just need to get my CPC sorted and do the driving refresher which I want to do and it looks like I am sorted…

It pays to be 100% honest in my opinion, they know were they stand … I have explained I will need guidance and they have said that will be available… .I now I need to gain confidence and learn to reverse again lol… hence the refresher to give me a start :wink:

I was amazed at the positive response from the 4, maybe my age helped …

STuart

Congratulations, sounds like honesty really does pay after all. You must be a happy man today. :smiley:

DBATOM:
Congratulations, sounds like honesty really does pay after all. You must be a happy man today. :smiley:

I am lol… more amazed at the positive response really… I actually said the chap on Friday I was expecting " sorry we need at least 2 years experience " etc etc…

good man.
mature with a brain would be seemingly more desirable than a cabbage in a hi viz cannon fodder. :slight_smile:

Excellent Stuart, glad that it looks like you’re sorted, congratulations. This goes to show the positive power of actually speaking face to face with a human as I doubt you’d have had the same offer if it was all done by e mail. Good luck.

My last three employers all said the same thing. That they preferred an older bloke that didn’t drive as though he was in a race.
Well done Stuart.

I experienced the same when I decided I wanted to get out of driving 3 years ago. Applied for a job at an electronics engineering/software firm. Had all the skills they wanted but hadn’t done it in employment for 25 years however had done it self employed alongside driving the last time closing the business 4 years prior to applying for this job. Questioning in the interview they realised I knew what I was on about and was offered the job there and then.

I only managed 10 months before the routine of going to the same place at the same time and working inside 5 days a week drove me mental. Back to driving and accepting I’m doing it until health or retirement stop me.

Thanks all…I was just speechless when he said he would take me on an even wait a couple of months…

Scared stiff as its a massive jump for me after 30 years in the motor trade but he knows I will need guidance and lots of help to start and seemed happy…

Will keep you informed :slight_smile:

How difficult can it be to book my Driver CPC course…

Company I wanted to use that was local and a good price … no reply to my emails now, and I can’t book them on there website the links on the site don’t work now… :frowning:

So if no reply tomorrow I will pay £100 more and use the one in Leeds I was going to use, at least they will reply and run even if just me turn up…

Job on the line now so need to get it done lol…

LGVStuart:

Company I wanted to use that was local and a good price … no reply to my emails now, and I can’t book them on there website the links on the site don’t work now… :frowning:

So if no reply tomorrow I will pay £100 more and use the one in Leeds I was going to use, at least they will reply and run even if just me turn up…

I used a place In Preston a couple years back when I needed to do a bunch in a hurry? Don’t know if it’s doable for you but PM me if you want their details,

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Stehinch:

LGVStuart:

I used a place In Preston a couple years back when I needed to do a bunch in a hurry? Don’t know if it’s doable for you but PM me if you want their details,

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Thank you, Preston is a bit far for me plus I need to do it on a Saturday :slight_smile:

I have just emailed them again from work and if they do not reply I will use Yorkshire Driver Training in Leeds who I also spoke to, they were very helpful, bit more expensive but fit in with the dates I need and the completion date :slight_smile:

Stuart

The company I was going to use cannot guarantee the dates I want for the driver CPC

So I have booked with the other if they guarantee the dates. start 28th Sept finish 30th November on Saturdays…

More expensive but as I have the chance of a job I need to do it asap… Was not really an issue before last Friday lol

Scared and excited at the same time… big jump for me…

That’s my Driver CPC booked and paid for… decided to use my first choice and should have done so last week really, but the thought of saving a few pound spoilt my judgement lol …

Booked 5 modules to get the 35 hours with Yorkshire Driver Training, due to start next Saturday…

Sat 28/Sep/19 Fuel Efficient and Safe Driving
Sat 19/Oct/19 Vulnerable Road Users
Sat 09/Nov/19 Drivers Hours and Digital Tachographs
Sat 23/Nov/19 Safety of Loads on Vehicles
Sat 30/Nov/19 Drink & Drugs Awareness

As I work I can only do Saturdays, and these fitted in, and say they will run and not get changed or cancelled… fingers crossed… They do a couple more modules on Saturdays one which I may have likes better but that takes it into December so I can do that next year :wink:

The company that offered me the job last week once i get the CPC card knows it will be a couple of months and is prepared to wait…

Time to get out of the motor trade rut now and into a secure job… hopefully the fresh rumours regarding redundancy will be right and I will not only already have a job but get paid off as well… BONUS lol…

Stuart