Garmin DEZL 580 issues

Hi all,

I’ve recently bought a Garmin DEZL 580 sat nav and have been testing it on routes I’m familiar with, but I’m finding it isn’t detecting or planning routes around road closures.

The M2 has had overnight closures for a number of weeks now, but the sat nav keeps trying to route me through the closure, and it’s also done the same on a few A road closures too.

It is Bluetooth linked to my phone to get live traffic info but still the issues persist.

I now don’t have any trust in the unit and am considering taking it back and exchanging for a TOMTOM instead.

Anyone else had issues or problems?

Thanks

I have a Garmin Dezl 770 LMT-D so things might have moved on a bit.

Does your 580 detect any traffic info at all ?

My 770 has a built in traffic receiver with a seperate aerial so doesn’t require smartphone link. Does the 580 require the app to be active/“on” on your phone?

I’ve found my 770 to be faultless and much better than the TomTom equivalents, giving faster more appropriate guidance taking into account low bridges. (That the TomTom missed)

Have you downloaded the app and changed the settings to get live traffic? I found it but of a faff. New aerial lead and power cable is about 50 quid from amazon, and that should sort your problem out. Failing that, do what I do and wing it. That’s what maps are for.a

Not used one myself but looking on the web site, the only 580 I can find uses DAB for its traffic rather than the smartphone link.

DAB seems an odd choice since it seems much worse at dealing with less than perfect signals, so might need an external ariel but that could be a major hassle / impossible if its the type that goes through the roof.

Think I’d either replace it with a version ending in S which uses the phone, or a Tomtom 6000 series which have a SIM card built in. Plus 7" versions are better than 5" as they are much easier to read.