Licence renewal for old gits

I’m 64 and was going to let my licence lapse in January 2020 when it expires so didn’t bother doing DCPC which has of course just expired. Now some interesting work has come up I’d like to do, so I’ll do CPC but I’m confused about the requirement for renewing a licence at age 65. The .gov website is not clear and really only seems to deal with over 45s. After 65 do I need to renew annually or is that at 70? Does this also mean a medical every year? Grateful for any advice on this.

After you’re 65 you will need to renew your licence every year and I’m afraid that will involve having a HGV medical every year.

So…renew licence in January and turn 65 in August - does the existing licence expire in August or the following January?

Sorry, double post

What is the current expiry date next to C on the licence :question:

That’s Jan 2020, so the question is whether it runs for another 12 months from Jan or needs renewing when I turn 65 in Aug?

May depend to some extent on the date you passed your test, my licence expires 2 months after my 65th birthday.

tachograph:
After you’re 65 you will need to renew your licence every year and I’m afraid that will involve having a HGV medical every year.

Now, this strikes me as being wrong, what with the Government having raised (and continuing to raise) retirement age. At the very least the medical should be state-funded from 65 onward for anyone not yet entitled to their state pension.

Misterbreeze:
So…renew licence in January and turn 65 in August - does the existing licence expire in August or the following January?

Driving licence and VQC are 2 separate docs and both need to be valid to be used - look at the expiry date of them both. Entitlement to drive ends when the 1st expiry date is reached.

Misterbreeze:
That’s Jan 2020, so the question is whether it runs for another 12 months from Jan or needs renewing when I turn 65 in Aug?

My understanding is that your renewal in January will run for five years (as you will at that point be aged 64). Only renewals after your 65th birthday will be 12 monthly.

But I’d genuinely like to know if I’m correct, as I’ll be in a similar situation myself in four years’ time…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Misterbreeze:

My understanding is that your renewal in January will run for five years (as you will at that point be aged 64). Only renewals after your 65th birthday will be 12 monthly.

But I’d genuinely like to know if I’m correct, as I’ll be in a similar situation myself in four years’ time…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo, I think you may be correct.
I just read your post to my brother who is 65 in October but his HGV doesn’t expire until 2022

I like the sound of that! I’ll let you know what actually happens in January.

Misterbreeze:

Renewal is likely to be to age 65 and 11 months

Misterbreeze:

Renewal is likely to be to age 65 and 11 months

You’ll know when to do your medical when the 'ol D4 turns up through the letter box.

As much as I know a medical has to be taken after the age of 65 annually.

Can recommend D4Drivers (as on the banner at the top of this page).