Automation

youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

I know this topic has been done to death but this is a really fascinating video regarding the wider impact of automation.
Well worth viewing if you haven’t already.

My take on it is I am now 100% sure full automation will come within the next 20 years. Trunking being no doubt the first to take the hit. I do think there will still have to be a driver in the truck for a while yet though.

I think an interesting thing i’ve noticed in the past 5 years (ish) is that we have gone from no self service checkouts in my local tesco store to about 10 and last year they upgraded it to about 30.
Another interesting thing I’ve noticed is my area used to be big for data entry jobs, it sucked but they was always hiring and everyone hated it. They never seem to hire anymore.
Heck just checking online in my area I only see like one data entry job on indeed.

You would need to be living on another planet not to know that, and it will be way sooner than 20 years

I wonder what governments will do when enough jobs have become automated and a majority of the planets population are unemployed or there are just not enough jobs to go around? Gonna be an interesting lifetime, even more so for my son!

It won’t be automation which changes this country to a place you wouldn’t recognise if you woke up after a 40 year coma.
What we are seeing happening in inner cities should give a clue to what will happen in normal towns throughout the country as it morphs…The Cotwolds and other areas where rich and privelidged SJW’s live far from what they spout as ideal for us proles, where the real villains of the story own their own selfish refuge from what they have inflicted on everyone else, will of course not suffer, if you have enough money you too could join the Camerons Blairs Braggs and cronies, whether they would accept you is another thing altogether, unless they see some ‘useful idiot’ possibilities therein somehow i doubt it.

The very last thing you will need to worry about is automation, it isn’t working in lorry world and in Britain especially as it fills to standing room only it won’t work.

When i was a boy this country was a wonderful place of complete freedom, yes of course it had its issues like any other, but the country itself was free, as a child you could wander the lanes and woods free with your dog and whichever friends you happened to have, your parents didn’t worry about you and never expected to see until it was dark or you were hungry or soaked to the skin and freezing cold.

Childhood has changed, and it isn’t just because children now have to be entertained in some activity for every waking moment, its because parents are scared stiff to let children out of their sight (but won’t dare say the real reason), but how are these children, who are actually being deprived a childhood in the normal sense, expected to grow into fully functioning adults, answer is they aren’t and they won’t.
Children are not being prepared for a normal adult life, where they work and provide for themselves and their own offspring in due course, they are programmed consumers of sold goods/services, starting right back when still in nappies when their mothers (in most families despite the alternative propaganda) farmed them out to paid strangers whilst they accepted the wisdom of the day which dictated that career and material gain were preferable to the vitally important alternative of raising the next well rounded generation.

As for things like automated tills at the supermarket, the answer is simple, don’t shop there, go to Morrisons or Aldi/Lidl, or if you must shop at Tesco wait for a manned (sorry, personned) till, do not aid these money making corporate giants into ever more world ■■■■■■■■■■.
What you do when you want to exert some pressure to change things is not to complain or whine about things, and don’t just sit back and accept them either, hit them where it hurts in the pocket, if you don’t want a cloned hatchback made by some eurogiant car maker who insists you must have an electric parking brake and a dual clutch transmission, both of which pointless things will fail at some point in a car festooned with ever more camp led’s, don’t buy the bloody things, either new or used, when no one buys this rubbish they’ll stop doing it.

Be who you want to be and treasure the important things in life, if you don’t want to be part of and aid automation for the sake of it, find and buy (or work for) something or someone different.
We arn’t alone you know, there are millions of us who want to say the word STOP, lets have a rethink and before we add more of the same kindling to our country’s growing funeral pyre lets sort out what gone wrong so far and change tack.
By not conforming with what they want, ie don’t be a corporate robot, show them in your own way that your way is better than the automated way, and you can do this in so many ways every single day of your life, and most of all deprive those who want to automate us into the borg, of money, for all they care about is money and the power (they think) it gives them.
Stop idolising those who do not have the people’s interests at heart, stop giving large wads of hard earned to corporate names whether its todays must have mobile device or the latest gimmick in electric cars or other stupidly overpriced overblown tat that will be regarded as obsolete before its second birthday.
Stop being envious of people who think they’re impressing you by buying into this garbage, they sure as hell don’t impress me, fool and his money springs to mind.

Don’t help them to replace or program you, become an individual again.

nightline:
You would need to be living on another planet not to know that, and it will be way sooner than 20 years

+100. I say 10. UK will be the first or one of the first countries in the world to embrace it. It has to happen, it will happen. My concern is unlike the industrial revolution which was powered by a newly discovered source of energy which lead to a global increase in productivity, this time it’s a “soft” progress, i.e. there’s no “real” increase in collective productivity. The industrial/agricultural revolution also took longer as the new engines and machines took a long time and plenty of resources to be manufactured where as automation will happen much much faster once it gets going.

Scraggy88:
I wonder what governments will do when enough jobs have become automated and a majority of the planets population are unemployed or there are just not enough jobs to go around? Gonna be an interesting lifetime, even more so for my son!

What do the Chinese say about living in interesting times…?

Juddian you are so right beautifully written you are a true scholar can you now sort this brexit lot out as that lot in Westminster can’t

Juddian:
As for things like automated tills at the supermarket, the answer is simple, don’t shop there, go to Morrisons or Aldi/Lidl, or if you must shop at Tesco wait for a manned (sorry, personned) till,

Aldi have a self checkout lane as well where there are cameras focusing on the customers faces, I don’t know what purposed this would serve…I was proper ■■■■■■ the other week when I popped into ASDA (open 24 hours) around 10p.m. on the way to work to grab a few things quickly. To my surprise there was not 1 manned (sorry, personned) till, for a moment I contemplated abandoning my trolley and walking off but I sighed and went through the humiliating process. 1st I don’t work there, I already have my own job, 2nd I haven’t noticed any price drops since automation was (quite forcefully) introduced - on the contrary, 3rd I feel bad for those people who stand to lose their jobs as a result of this, some of them are my neighbors. 4th I was almost late for work because the thing hung up twice and I had to wait for the one lady in charge of the whole area (there were plenty of other customers using the machines) to get to me.

Beautiful post btw, I don’t agree with the whole of it but deserves respect and an applause.

as soon as they inveted jcb diggers then for every 1 built,then there goes 60 paddys onto the dole for not digging holes i the ground…apparantly its progress.
on the same basis that i starve and wil never buy from msa services or airports for overpriced piracy,then il never ever self serve at a asda till or anything similar.
il never buy a stop start car,adblu car or van,or if so will just do a delete.( its easy enough as they dont test diesel emissions over here in the land that time forgot).
as soon as the older generation die off then the new generation will take things as reality as they wont know any better.
itl be the same for transport…all you need to do is look at the paid from the neck down lemmings indoctrinated in stobarts/tesco and the like cabbage in a hiviz working practises.
i wonder who will be the last remaining truckie that can rope and sheet and tie a dolly knot?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

More automation may not work well in our present capitalist system.
It could possibly work with a move to a Universal Basic Income system.
Capitalism has bought us thus far, but it is far from being the only available social system. I won`t make any predictions about how rocky a path lies ahead, or where that path will end, but increasing automation, and the existing work/reward social contracts are about to have some wide reaching changes. Hopefully things will improve for future generations, but us wanting to ignore or resist change will not work well.

Juddian:
When i was a boy this country was a wonderful place of complete freedom, yes of course it had its issues like any other, but the country itself was free, as a child you could wander the lanes and woods free with your dog and whichever friends you happened to have, your parents didn’t worry about you and never expected to see until it was dark or you were hungry or soaked to the skin and freezing cold.

Childhood has changed, and it isn’t just because children now have to be entertained in some activity for every waking moment, its because parents are scared stiff to let children out of their sight (but won’t dare say the real reason), but how are these children, who are actually being deprived a childhood in the normal sense, expected to grow into fully functioning adults, answer is they aren’t and they won’t.
Children are not being prepared for a normal adult life, where they work and provide for themselves and their own offspring in due course, they are programmed consumers of sold goods/services, starting right back when still in nappies when their mothers (in most families despite the alternative propaganda) farmed them out to paid strangers whilst they accepted the wisdom of the day which dictated that career and material gain were preferable to the vitally important alternative of raising the next well rounded generation.

This is quite simply, why we are where we are in the present day. A generation raised wrapped in cotton wool, with qualifications poking from every orifice, though cannot tie shoelaces. :unamused:

It sounds terrible, but i’m glad my childhood was spent in the 80’s. I Certainly wouldn’t want to relive it in the present day.

I can see autonomy making huge headway within the next decade, Daimler trucks are already touting their SAE level 4 autonomous driving system with their subsidiary company Torc robotics. forbes.com/sites/lianeyvkof … 4e7ebe4617

Tesla has just started a massive retrofit of their brand new in-house designed full self driving computer to all it’s model S/X vehicles, According to the company, its new computer can process 2,300 frames per second and perform 144 trillions of operation per second. :open_mouth:

Very nice of you to say those kind words Mick P, though i’m as far from deserving them as its possible to be in every sense.

The Brexit debacle has been a watershed, in the last 3 years the last 40 years of total deception of the people, by those in power, those placed in govts doing their bidding, and those legion of lackeys in the media repeating the mantra of the day, have been exposed to all but the most brainwashed souls (who are quite possibly beyond help or hope anyway) for who they truly are.

Things will never be the same again, those who have been proved as betrayers of the people of this country will be deselected by the main Tory party before the next election, or the electorate (whom i have never known so bitter disillusioned angry and now vengeful) will replace the Tory party wholesale.

The libdems are neither of those words that make up their title, and they keep telling anyone who wants to listen that the results of a democratic vote means nothing to them, they’ll reap what they are sowing.

Labour is split completely, Corbyn actually is a fair minded chap, but he’s failed to keep charge of his party and by allowing it to become a party of remain, when he’s been anti the EU all his life, he’s weakened his core support in the labour heartlands by failing to stand by his own principles, and the hyenas under him are circling to rip his innards out as soon as he’s weak enough.

What the lefties fail to realise is that the working class patriotic backbone of the country is still there, and still have that decent British core running through them of fair play and the ability to be a fair loser if your side doesn’t win, this is what the remainers don’t get, they lost but won’t accept it, so be it, those trying their best to betray Brexit will lose more than the referendum as a result.

Whilst Brexit may be thwarted this year, we will get it, because the backlash if we don’t see the will of a referendum majority honoured will be terrifying to behold, and possibly not just at the ballot box.

The anti brexit protests have been a well funded (wonder who) few thousand snowflakes millenials and the pseudo middle class backed by rentacrowd all playing to a willing and on side media, always available due to lack of work commitments to go signal their virtue.
You wait until several million genuine real genuine working class folk decide they’ve had enough of being ignored despised ridiculed and insulted by legion of people who really believe they are more entitled than the majority.

You know the bods who pulled the strongbows back, who manned the cannon, who fired the volleys, who fixed bayonets and charged and pounded the enemy with tons of bullets shells and bombs and put the fear of God in the enemy over the centuries, they weren’t millenials or snowflakes or middle class types afraid of losing their cheap eastern european nannies and waiters, they were the bloody working class and it will always will be the working class doing the doing.

As a good President once said, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

dieseldog999:
as soon as they inveted jcb diggers then for every 1 built,then there goes 60 paddys onto the dole for not digging holes i the ground…apparantly its progress.
on the same basis that i starve and wil never buy from msa services or airports for overpriced piracy,then il never ever self serve at a asda till or anything similar.
il never buy a stop start car,adblu car or van,or if so will just do a delete.( its easy enough as they dont test diesel emissions over here in the land that time forgot).
as soon as the older generation die off then the new generation will take things as reality as they wont know any better.
itl be the same for transport…all you need to do is look at the paid from the neck down lemmings indoctrinated in stobarts/tesco and the like cabbage in a hiviz working practises.
i wonder who will be the last remaining truckie that can rope and sheet and tie a dolly knot?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Except of course…that didnt happen. Are there massive queues of navvies wearing trousers held up with string and shovels over their shoulders at the dole office? Do you only get fuel at service stations where someone operates the pump for you? Do you only buy cars made by hand, not robots? I too have a laugh when new drivers complain about the crappy truck theyve got, because the radio…sorry entertainment centre ain`t good enough, but that IS progress.

Better than us moaning about being crippled with pain after years of handball, sheeting in the winter and being bounced about on old trucks!
:smiley:

Juddian:
It won’t be automation which changes this country to a place you wouldn’t recognise if you woke up after a 40 year coma.
What we are seeing happening in inner cities should give a clue to what will happen in normal towns throughout the country as it morphs…The Cotwolds and other areas where rich and privelidged SJW’s live far from what they spout as ideal for us proles, where the real villains of the story own their own selfish refuge from what they have inflicted on everyone else, will of course not suffer, if you have enough money you too could join the Camerons Blairs Braggs and cronies, whether they would accept you is another thing altogether, unless they see some ‘useful idiot’ possibilities therein somehow i doubt it.

The very last thing you will need to worry about is automation, it isn’t working in lorry world and in Britain especially as it fills to standing room only it won’t work.

As for things like automated tills at the supermarket, the answer is simple, don’t shop there, go to Morrisons or Aldi/Lidl, or if you must shop at Tesco wait for a manned (sorry, personned) till, do not aid these money making corporate giants into ever more world ■■■■■■■■■■.
What you do when you want to exert some pressure to change things is not to complain or whine about things, and don’t just sit back and accept them either, hit them where it hurts in the pocket, if you don’t want a cloned hatchback made by some eurogiant car maker who insists you must have an electric parking brake and a dual clutch transmission, both of which pointless things will fail at some point in a car festooned with ever more camp led’s, don’t buy the bloody things, either new or used, when no one buys this rubbish they’ll stop doing it.

Be who you want to be and treasure the important things in life, if you don’t want to be part of and aid automation for the sake of it, find and buy (or work for) something or someone different.
We arn’t alone you know, there are millions of us who want to say the word STOP, lets have a rethink and before we add more of the same kindling to our country’s growing funeral pyre lets sort out what gone wrong so far and change tack.
By not conforming with what they want, ie don’t be a corporate robot, show them in your own way that your way is better than the automated way, and you can do this in so many ways every single day of your life, and most of all deprive those who want to automate us into the borg, of money, for all they care about is money and the power (they think) it gives them.
Stop idolising those who do not have the people’s interests at heart, stop giving large wads of hard earned to corporate names whether its todays must have mobile device or the latest gimmick in electric cars or other stupidly overpriced overblown tat that will be regarded as obsolete before its second birthday.
Stop being envious of people who think they’re impressing you by buying into this garbage, they sure as hell don’t impress me, fool and his money springs to mind.

Don’t help them to replace or program you, become an individual again.

+1…top post Juddian

^^^^^
:blush: stop it you lot, or i’ll need double doors fitting at home just to get me head through :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Franglais:

dieseldog999:

Except of course…that didnt happen. Are there massive queues of navvies wearing trousers held up with string and shovels over their shoulders at the dole office? Do you only get fuel at service stations where someone operates the pump for you? Do you only buy cars made by hand, not robots? I too have a laugh when new drivers complain about the crappy truck theyve got, because the radio…sorry entertainment centre ain`t good enough, but that IS progress.

Better than us moaning about being crippled with pain after years of handball, sheeting in the winter and being bounced about on old trucks!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i think our generations moans are a tad more realistic,but thats now,and 40 years ago it was just the norm to do what you did with the trucks,and equipment at the time…and i never ever use an unmanned fuel station in the uk…im often in sweden where its mostly a cash free country so mostly there is no alternative especially outwith normal hours.
i do think that the fannys that stand at the check in scanners at airports must know they are on borrowed time for employment once doris and basil die off and everyone else knows where to stick their bar code to be read. :slight_smile:

Franglais:

Yeah but we already have enough ■■■■■■■■ jobs as it is. We can’t exploit resources any faster (like we did with the Industrial/Agricultural revolution) so no new industries to produce consumer goods - it would be nice if the newly unemployed were split in two, one half building yachts and the other helicopters or better yet- jets for each other, that way everyone will have their own private jet and a yacht and all they have to do is tour the world and don’t need a job anymore, obviously not going to happen as there’s not enough metal/aluminum on the planet…so people will be poor and miserable and the more creatively gifted among them might go on to become artists/entertainers but the vast majority will end up either not working or working some ■■■■■■■■ job (not really doing anything of value to anyone but getting paid for it) and be depressed for the rest of their life.

ps…I use CC and a sat-nav; I’m a bad driver

I think Sainsbury’s trialled a self service only store a while back but it lead to huge cues with people using the customer service desk to pay for their shopping.
It is a generational thing though. Most young people prefer self-service checkouts so as the old die off… :grimacing:
I actually prefer them as well if I am being honest. I find them faster and more convenient assuming I don’t have anything that requires an age check.

Also at Juddian I would personally love a cheap euro car. I’m 27 and have owned a load of cars and I’d be happy with a nice Peugeot any day. They are cheap, reliable and fuel efficient. Check the reliability index :grimacing: . Ye they are not as fun as my austin allegro or my ford sierra or my transit but I ALWAYS had issues with them.
I don’t see the need to have a car with ‘character’ which just means it is a pile of ■■■■.

As for your comment on childhood I do somewhat agree with you even if it’s slightly off-topic.
The biggest issue for me is that they all have electronic devices. Which allows a highly unregulated industry to bombard them with marketing.
Heck there is even gambling in kids video-games (although the people who make the games claim it’s not gambling but surprise mechanics or some crap.)
bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49661870

Another thing is vaping.

The makers bombard kids with marketing showing how cool vaping is because it is so unregulated.

ETS:

Franglais:

Yeah but we already have enough [zb] jobs as it is. We can’t exploit resources any faster (like we did with the Industrial/Agricultural revolution) so no new industries to produce consumer goods - it would be nice if the newly unemployed were split in two, one half building yachts and the other helicopters or better yet- jets for each other, that way everyone will have their own private jet and a yacht and all they have to do is tour the world and don’t need a job anymore, obviously not going to happen as there’s not enough metal/aluminum on the planet…so people will be poor and miserable and the more creatively gifted among them might go on to become artists/entertainers but the vast majority will end up either not working or working some [zb] job (not really doing anything of value to anyone but getting paid for it) and be depressed for the rest of their life.

ps…I use CC and a sat-nav; I’m a bad driver

I refer you sir, to my earlier post.

Franglais:
More automation may not work well in our present capitalist system.
It could possibly work with a move to a Universal Basic Income system.

Automate the crap jobs, but dont throw those who once did them on the "penniless plebs" scrap pile. Give everyone a fair allowance, and pay extra for any that choose to do the jobs not yet automated. Forcing those without skills to work for a pittance will no longer work, without the threat of starvation, or of being thought of as social outcasts for not working.....its a big step from where we are today. Takes a leap to get from here to there, but it may well be necessary.