Morrisons Store Deliveries?

Been offered a “full time job” with these. But noticed the 13 week probationary period which can be extended to another 13 weeks.

Anyone work for them? Are they using this as a way of getting labour up to Christmas and then let us go because we’re still in probation?

Any other experiences with them? 30 min paid break and 15 minutes unpaid seemed a bit harsh considering it’s a legal thing to have 45.

Thanks.

Yes! They’re getting ready for Christmas, (come January ■■■■ off matey) back in the day you never unloaded as it was all on pallets! But it was run by Wincanton don’t know whether it still is, and they were just clueless slags!

Which 3plp would you actually work for. Morrisons in Bridgewater is run by DHL. Not sure about their direct hire/agency practices, but I would expect any extra work load to be filled with temp/agency workers.

Whats harsh about being paid to do nothing

SHYTOT:
Whats harsh about being paid to do nothing

So you refuse your holiday pay then?

Anything constructive to add to the question which I asked? If not, jog on please.

Hi, I work for Muller and I occasionally load out of Burton Latimer Morrisons DC and do a store delivery. Its very easy work as far as I can tell. There is no handball involved and you don’t even load or unload the truck as its all on pallets which the store guys get off with their own pump truck.

I’d say go for it!

I asked what is harsh about being paid to do nothing
if you cant answer the question jog on

SHYTOT:
I asked what is harsh about being paid to do nothing
if you cant answer the question jog on

If I’ve got this right, he’s saying it’s harsh to only be paid for 30 minutes of your break instead of your full 45

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This sounds like temp to (never) perm offered to drivers by agencies, and as pointed out the probation period will be rolled over & over till after Christmas when you find yourself surplus to requirements

To me the being paid for 15 minute break is completely irrelevant. Unless your some union guy who likes to take umbrage at it.

For example they could pay you like £300 a week including paid break
Or they could pay you £700 a week but not pay for your break.
I know what I’d prefer. :stuck_out_tongue:

If the money is good go for it mate. And it’s supermarket work so it will be decent. Also no load interaction which is quite rare for a supermarket.
I’ve never worked for Morrisons but I’ve only heard good things about them.

Which depot you applying to btw?

Chris C70:
Been offered a “full time job” with these. But noticed the 13 week probationary period which can be extended to another 13 weeks.

Anyone work for them? Are they using this as a way of getting labour up to Christmas and then let us go because we’re still in probation?

Any other experiences with them? 30 min paid break and 15 minutes unpaid seemed a bit harsh considering it’s a legal thing to have 45.

Thanks.

Do you have a job now
Do you get paid for your full 45 if you have a job
Is it direct for Morrisons if no you won’t get paid anything for your break

I’m particularly concerned about a 13 (potentially 26) week probation period. Seems excessive and the timing of Xmas just smelt a bit. Hence the question if anyone has any experiences of that with them. IE have they got a rep for it? If it’s not a real job, I’ll continue the headless chicken hours pre-Xmas in the run up to the Marie Celeste Jan/Feb period. Obviously IR 35 is a concern but if probation isn’t continued and I’m laid off in January, I’ve lost nothing by staying where I am.

It was a direct application not via an agency; I’ve long since decided all agencies are uncontrollable liars and most can’t count or run a payroll. But they do give the flexibility to tell them to get stuffed when they act like clowns; I’ve zero tolerance for it at my age.

Chris C70:

Thanks.

Of course! :unamused:

Winseer:

Chris C70:

Of course! :unamused:

I don’t suppose Morrisons are stupid, makes sense to recruit well in time for the busy period, by the time the 13 weeks are up the numpties will have revealed themselves and get the boot, but you could bet your last penny if they find any genuine lorry drivers in this recruitment drive they’ll be taken on permanently.
Probationary periods are quite normal on proper jobs, and all jobs will extend the probationary period if there’s a reason where they consider the employee deserves another chance.

The shift patterns i’ve heard about would rule me out from applying, but you would struggle to find an easier, or more boring, job, in lorry world, the minor quibble about 15 minutes of break time unpaid :unamused: means diddly, i’ve only ever been paid straight through on one hourly paid job (favorite job of all, interesting involving some graft and well paid), these days i would expect straight through pay to be on the low hourly rate side, a bit of smoke and mirrors to tempt the unthinking.

The interesting bit is that THIS Christmas - I have a funny feeling that employers will try to take on a load of drivers, but unlike the last few years, where a handy going-bust firm like Citilink or P&H was there to supply this sudden flood of available talent - THIS year, it will be more like "Offer full time for those panicing now - before they realize that if they stay on agency another three months, they’ll be up for a pay rise of at least a quid an hour over Christmas on top of the usual Christmas premium which does NOT go back down again in January.

I don’t have a mind to commit to anything 5 from 7 full time, because I happen to like getting three days off instead of two for the same takehome pay.
I make up my hours by working every sunday without fail, and prefering 12+ hour shifts rather than these 9 hour ones that involve the very maximum of “meal relief deduction” (as a percentage) from them.

Work 9 hours, get paid 8 - 11p in the pound deduction overall.
Work 12 hours get paid 11 - 8p in the pound deduction overall.
work 15 hours get paid 14 - 6p in the pound deduction overall.
3x15 - and you’ve been paid 42 hours with four days off that week. 3 unpaid hours.
4x12 - and you’ve been paid 44 hours with three days off that week, 4 unpaid hours.

5x9 - and you’ve been paid 40 hours with only two days off that week, 5 unpaid hours.

Fewer, but longer shifts are good then. Morrissons were taking on people for the 14:00-02:00 shift when I applied, but at the interview they said they only had 02:00-14:00 left, which paid the day rate of (then) £9.68ph instead of the advertized £11.80ph if memory serves. No, No and No for me there.

Anyone worth their salt will not be shown the door why would anyone get rid of a grafter
I am quite sure they can weed out the bone idle and scivers to show the door

Wish I could get on direct at a supermarket,
Every time Iv applied Iv either not got a look in or offered a completely ridiculous shift pattern that I know I wouldn’t be able to hack.
I’m an early morning person and last time I got offered asda it was 2pm starts 8 full weekends out of ten :open_mouth:
Would love a bash at morrisons too but Wakefield rdc never seems to recruit and has just been taken on by wincanton so I will watch and see if any vacancies come up

£9.68 days and £11.80 nights? :open_mouth:

How long ago was that? No thanks for either!!!

yorkshire terrier:
Wish I could get on direct at a supermarket,
Every time Iv applied Iv either not got a look in or offered a completely ridiculous shift pattern that I know I wouldn’t be able to hack.
I’m an early morning person and last time I got offered asda it was 2pm starts 8 full weekends out of ten :open_mouth:
Would love a bash at morrisons too but Wakefield rdc never seems to recruit and has just been taken on by wincanton so I will watch and see if any vacancies come up

Most good jobs, and i have no idea how good Morrisons is now, have an established set of shifts taken on seniority, chances are you have to take on an unsuitable shift to get your feet under the table.

Took me a little over 12 months to get my present shift pattern which suits us down to the ground, some have to wait well over 2 years before they have a chance to change shifts due to upsurge in newer recruits wanting to change, luck of the draw i s’pose, when my chance came the rest of the night lads wanted to stay on nights, understandable as it’s a good deal.
Just make sure at interview stage what the conditions/requirements are re changing shifts.

I had a neighbour that worked on store deliveries for a large supermarket and all he did was moan
start times were crap weekends were crap money was crap equipment was crap
he eventually packed in and went self employed, and within months he tried to get back on
to the best of my knowledge he is still trying to get back on, when will people learn you cant
beat the system