Scania seat back problems

we had a fleet of Scania & I have always sufferd with a painful back, Iveco before then no problem. never before have I had back problems until we got Scania.we have moved away from Scania 3 months ago now we have MAN & they are great. but the damage to my back is onging “sciatica” which was caused by Scania units. my question is can anyone tel me if there are a group in which I can join as I’m thinking of suing my enployer as I know I’m not the only one. this is affecting my private life immensely. my employer said they would fit better seats but that never happened,& now I’m in this painfull position.

robonthemoor:
we had a fleet of Scania & I have always sufferd with a painful back, Iveco before then no problem. never before have I had back problems until we got Scania.we have moved away from Scania 3 months ago now we have MAN & they are great. but the damage to my back is onging “sciatica” which was caused by Scania units. my question is can anyone tel me if there are a group in which I can join as I’m thinking of suing my enployer as I know I’m not the only one. this is affecting my private life immensely. my employer said they would fit better seats but that never happened,& now I’m in this painfull position.

Scania can be pretty uncomfortable but they are very adjustable and I normally get it set right after a few adjustments.
Doubt you will have much luck suing anyone over it, Merc would be out of business by now with bad back lawsuits otherwise :smiley:

That Scania back problem compensation bandwagon passed over 20 years ago, and even then if I remember rightly it was only the P Cab.

idrive:

robonthemoor:

Scania can be pretty uncomfortable but they are very adjustable and I normally get it set right after a few adjustments.
Doubt you will have much luck suing anyone over it, Merc would be out of business by now with bad back lawsuits otherwise :smiley:

Never driven a Scania full time but I have a Merc Actros [emoji22]and for the 5 months I drove it my back and bum ached every day
I’ve been driving a MAN TGX for the last year and half no such problems [emoji16]and I’m just about to change to a younger xxl cabbed TGX [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it used to be pedals and steering wheel were offset to the seat plus nowhere to properly to rest left leg, that was back in the day. not sure nowdays,

I had similar problems with the r series, off set pedals being the culprit but nothing compared to the 02 plate merc I had years ago that was truly shocking!! the seat was like a deck chair. It took about 2 years for my back to recover from that shed!!!
I changed jobs from the scania and got a Volvo fh4 would never want to drive anything else other than Volvo now. Luckily enough my gaffer won’t buy anything but Volvo. Hope your back gets better soon

gezt:
it used to be pedals and steering wheel were offset to the seat plus nowhere to properly to rest left leg, that was back in the day. not sure nowdays,

I think that is still the case. Company I worked for a few years ago had a load of scannies and I started getting a stiff and sore back after a couple months in one. Spoke to management and driver trainers etc and they also said that because Scania are by default left hand drive, apparently it was a crappy conversion to right hand drive and so the driver seat is technically in the correct place as it’s officially the passenger seat but the dashboard, wheel and pedals are slightly offset and so when you are sat square to the wheel, your back is slightly twisting to compensate the offset.
Shame too as I enjoyed driving a scania but when I went into a MAN after I switched jobs, I had no issues with my back at all

Not all vehicles suit everybody,they are a line production,as everybody on TNUK will testify many people have gripes about certain vehicles where as others will praise them.
For example I never had a problem with the Merc but many on here do,its all a case of adaption.
Modern vehicles these days are nothing like some of the old British motors with rigid seats that only moved up or down, back and forward manually with no back adjustment before the Bostrum design came out which was not air sprung.

Thanks for your input guys it’s much appreciated. the Scania’s I’m referring to are 2013 plate & mine was 2017 plate. the company was well aware of our problems but the manager chose to ignore it. all companies have a duty of care to there employees and I for one shouted loudly, I even stopped doing any overtime because of the pain I was going through. pages ripped out of accident books hiding accident books so they couldn’t be filled in, very bad behavior. we had a meeting with senior managers they said they would get Recaro seats fitted but of course that never happened.
I don’t know what I’m going to do later on in life as I’m quite active in my hobbies but that means back movement not so much strain on my back but I always liked been fit and agile. It’s looking like I’m going to have to sell my land and property as my back can’t stand the pain. I find this very unfair as I’ve worked for my love of machines.

robonthemoor:
Thanks for your input guys it’s much appreciated. the Scania’s I’m referring to are 2013 plate & mine was 2017 plate. the company was well aware of our problems but the manager chose to ignore it. all companies have a duty of care to there employees and I for one shouted loudly, I even stopped doing any overtime because of the pain I was going through. pages ripped out of accident books hiding accident books so they couldn’t be filled in, very bad behavior. we had a meeting with senior managers they said they would get Recaro seats fitted but of course that never happened.
I don’t know what I’m going to do later on in life as I’m quite active in my hobbies but that means back movement not so much strain on my back but I always liked been fit and agile. It’s looking like I’m going to have to sell my land and property as my back can’t stand the pain. I find this very unfair as I’ve worked for my love of machines.

You didn’t adjust the seat properly, it’s not Scania’s fault you can’t work out that the seating position is different to an Iveco.

I used to sit with the seat low and tilted back, perfectly comfy. I had a very bad smash in the car and came away with bad back problems, sitting in the truck I couldn’t drive more than an hour. Adjusting the seat higher and tilted forward as I was advised made all the difference and has probably helped with my recovery.

TheUncaringCowboy:

robonthemoor:

You didn’t adjust the seat properly, it’s not Scania’s fault you can’t work out that the seating position is different to an Iveco.

I used to sit with the seat low and tilted back, perfectly comfy. I had a very bad smash in the car and came away with bad back problems, sitting in the truck I couldn’t drive more than an hour. Adjusting the seat higher and tilted forward as I was advised made all the difference and has probably helped with my recovery.

Your so sympathetic NOT
Everyone knows those 4 series seats were rubbish !!

robthedog:

TheUncaringCowboy:

robonthemoor:

Your so sympathetic NOT
Everyone knows those 4 series seats were rubbish !!

If you’re looking for sympathy it’s between s[zb]t and syphilis in the dictionary.

4 series classic seats were the best lorry seats ever made, maybe shouldn’t have driven peasant spec motors.

4 series seats aren’t fitted to a 2017 Scania

Mazzer2:

Don’t know why he’s saying 4 series seats are rubbish then.

Mazzer2:

Sure about that

I think it is down to the individual and how the seat is set up. Every driver I have met, and who have spoken to about seats in trucks there seems to be good and bad with all. Personally, I have never had a really bad problem with Scania seating. From the old 140 through the different marks. I did inherit a 4 series that a real lumpy lad used to drive and his fat posterior had killed the seat pan but the lumber supports were still good as he had never inflated them.
I certainly cannot complain about the new generation seat in the new one I drive, it’s extremely comfy!

robthedog:

Mazzer2:

Sure about that

Having driven a 4 series through to a streamline can assure you the seats are different. They can take awhile to find the right position which makes it a pain if you’re not I the same lorry every day have been in nothing but Scania’s for the last 10years and no back problems

I’ve driven 2 identical model 4 series Topline Scanias in last 15 years and within 2 yrs if each other.
Only difference, one was a left ■■■■■■, the other right hand drive.
Left ■■■■■■…no probs,.a comfortable good motor to drive , loved it.
Right hand drive…my back and right leg was killing me.
They are designed as left hand drive as other Euro motors, but the right hand drive adaption is slightly offset I am told, causing the probs to UK drivers.

TheUncaringCowboy:
If you’re looking for sympathy it’s between s[zb]t and syphilis in the dictionary.

:laughing:
General George S. Patton.
Commander US 7th Army in Europe, WW2.
1885 1945.

So it seems some people will even suffer and do damage to their health all for 9 quid a hour or less sometimes depending on hours worked
Even knowing they are doing damage the mind boggles what some will do for a nice looking truck or work for buttons with mad hours