Hgv Sat Nav

Am looking into purchasing one of these for all sizes of Wagons. They seem a tad expensive! Any advice appreciated :slight_smile:

When I passed I toyed with the idea of one of the cheaper ones, but in the end ended up investing in the TomTom 6250 Pro with lifetime traffic and maps. I purchased directly from TomTom and managed to get a code for discount so cost just over Ā£300 in total.

I firmly believe you get what you pay for with anything in life. Buy cheap, buy twice. Iā€™ve used it everyday, even when I know where I am going itā€™s excellent for mobile speed cameras and live traffic. You can also hook your phone up to it to receive calls and text messages but I have personally not really bothered with that.

Xgody off Ebay - Chinese thing, dirt cheap but no live traffic and uses stolen maps so wont be bang upto date (have read can be 12 months behind). Not 100% sure ifbtuey run off 24v.

Tomtom Professional 6200 - most expensive but includes live traffic built in (no phone req), and map updates at least 4x a year.

Tomtom 620 professional - same as above! but needs to bluetooth to a phone for traffic.

Tomtom car nav - works well but doesnā€™t know about low bridges and weight limits. Some have live traffic. Can be a tad stressful when you go down a road and find a low bridge but more suitable for certain areas like Cornwall. Also check charger can run on 24v.

Get a Tom Tom trucker. Yes its expensive but its the best in my opinion. Life time maps and life time traffic is a godsend.

Donā€™t have a premature ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  just because they come with lifetime map updates.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/01/tomtom-withdraws-lifetime-maps-for-certain-models/

If they did it once they can do it again.

Another vote for the TT 6250, I also got it at a discounted price.
Itā€™s not perfect and it lacks some of the features of an earlier TT model I used to use, but overall Iā€™ve not regretted this purchase.

Sits inā€¦

Comfy chair and eats popcorn left out by someone.

How kind.

WhiteTruckMan:
Donā€™t have a premature ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  just because they come with lifetime map updates.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/01/tomtom-withdraws-lifetime-maps-for-certain-models/

"TomTom goes on to explain its definition of lifetime updates, saying: ā€˜Lifetime means the useful life of the device, i.e. the period of time TomTom supports your device with updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available anymore.ā€™ ".

PMSL! :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:

WhiteTruckMan:

"TomTom goes on to explain its definition of lifetime updates, saying: ā€˜Lifetime means the useful life of the device, i.e. the period of time TomTom supports your device with updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available anymore.ā€™ ".

PMSL! :stuck_out_tongue:

Itā€™s really not as sinister as some make outā€¦

Every day, at TomTom, we work very hard to bring you the best navigation experience ever. A big part of this work is to continuously improve the quality of the maps and software that your sat nav runs on. As a consequence, however the memory required to install these higher quality maps increases every year.

As we work tirelessly to launch new technologies and deliver a great customer experience, it has become clear that some of our first generation navigation devices do not have sufficient memory to store the newest maps and features available. For example the map of Europe is now more than 7GB and the average map size increase per quarter is 400MB.

TomTom solved this situation by dividing the installed map into smaller regions (Map Zones) which are available to download when a device is connected to the TomTom Home software. However, we foresee that in less than 6 months, even these smaller regions wonā€™t be able to fit into your device.

For this reason, we have stopped sales of map updates and other services as of 15/11/2016. Your trusted device will still work perfectly but you will no longer be able to buy any further map update.

If you have an active subscription to map updates or TomTom services, you will continue receiving those until the subscription runs out. For additional information head over to the FAQ page.

yourhavingalarf:
Sits inā€¦

Comfy chair and eats popcorn left out by someone.

How kind.

Whoā€™s been sitting in my chair AND who ate all my salted popcornā– ā– ? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

XGody runs off 24v ok.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

When I last spent my hard earned on a TomTom I was shocked at how little spare internal memory capacity there was for future updates, I assumed ā€œthey must know what theyā€™re doingā€, and yes they did, they stopped updates a couple of years later because there was ā€œno longer enough spaceā€ and encouraged me to spend hundreds on a new modelā€¦ they knew alright!!! The manufacturing cost difference of putting in say 128Gb instead of 64Gb was peanuts, memory was dirt cheap, but the SatNav wasnā€™t cheap by any stretch! Ā£Ā£Ā£

Not to mention the update process has been ā– ā– ā– ā– , the amount of times Iā€™ve had error upon error and either had to keep trying (around the 10th go it might work) or had to Google workarounds to finally get an update to go throughā€¦

Have they fixed their ways? Because I did vow never to buy a TomTom again tbh.

marsbars:
Am looking into purchasing one of these for all sizes of Wagons. They seem a tad expensive! Any advice appreciated :slight_smile:

Get tucked in to your popcorn you 2.

Youā€™re right mate, you say a ā€˜ā€˜tad expensiveā€™ā€™ Iā€™d say more ā– ā– ā– ā–  ridiculously priced, which is why Iā€™d never have oneā€¦even if I needed it.
Also if you go down the road of thinking they are Godā€™s own gospel, instead of ā€˜ā€˜just an advisory guideā€™ā€™ you are gonna more than likely find yourself in a ā– ā– ā– ā–  up situation, plus you will never really LEARN the job in teal terms because the thing is spoon feeding you to tell you to do everything about the job that you once actually had to learn to develop skills, so you put your height weight, and when to wipe your arse into it, and it puts you into a false sense of safety and security.
Anybody who thinks Iā€™m talking ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– , read the bridge bashing threads, and how many of you could either give directions to, or find somewhere without a sat nav that you went to for the first time only last week. :bulb:

I doubt you will want to go old school.and just use a map, ā€¦and why even would you when the tech is there, I get that.

I personally use a car sat nav with a bridge map as a back up, but there are other options out there on your phone, with google maps and earth etc.

I personally think that the present poor inadequate driver training system that churns out many inept wannabe ā€˜truckersā€™ would benefit new drivers a lot by including a route finding course, amongst MANY other improvementsā€¦but hey! wtf do I know eh? :smiley:

Iā€™ve had a snooper 7000 for years now, I check for updates every month or so, itā€™s generally fine, but a couple of months ago it was absolutely useless in Romania, it kept telling me to go down dirt tracks, donā€™t drive on the main motorways etc, but if your not in Romania itā€™s alright. I always look at a map and see how the satnav is doing compared with the route I would take, they can be a helping hand once in a while, but are by no means perfect.

noisycarl:
Iā€™ve had a snooper 7000 for years now, I check for updates every month or so, itā€™s generally fine, but a couple of months ago it was absolutely useless in Romania, it kept telling me to go down dirt tracks, donā€™t drive on the main motorways etc, but if your not in Romania itā€™s alright. I always look at a map and see how the satnav is doing compared with the route I would take, they can be a helping hand once in a while, but are by no means perfect.

Yep, one of our lads, another experienced driver, did my job when I was off once,ā€¦ he has one of those all singing all dancing jobbies compared to my bog standard effort.

When I got back he told me he had to ditch the sat nav as one or two of the drops in Cornwall back and beyond, were coming out as ā€˜No route possibleā€™ or whatever they say.
Then he asked me if I had done a certain farm, where he got to a bad bend on route in the road, and he could barely get around, so crunched his nearside stepā€¦he had checked google earth tbf, but misjudged the tight bend.

This farm as it turned out was a fairly regular drop for me, tight as arse holes but doableā€¦turns out his brilliant 400 quid sat nav sent him in another way, and that was the result.

That was my previous point about false sense of security.

TomTom is a pile of crap for actually navigating.
I will have it on and running most of the time as itā€™s a good display and accurate speed and live traffic and itā€™s nice to have a map view of the bends ahead.
Never follow it for directions off the motorway without checking first though. It tries to send you down some ridiculous routes, totally unsuitable for any truck let alone an artic.

The past few days it has decided it doesnā€™t like the main road that runs to our yard, and has been trying to make a u turn round a tiny row of terraced houses and down the ginnel behind it, (barely get a car down there) and then off on a 10 mile diversion round the town to approach from the other direction.
Itā€™s no surprise some of the disasters you see if people are blindly following this.

I use a combination of Scania nav, Google, paper map and eyes/common sense

Asking which Satnav to buy is like asking what tyres to buy
Obviously you should buy round ones

As above, go old school a bit (common sense, plan route by bridge height map) and new tech a bit, let a common or garden satnav help you with looking for turnings and which road to take from an unsigned roundabout say.

Last time i used the fitted satnav was to a place out in the wilds of the fens, instead of following my own above advice i simply punched in the postcode and let it lead me from about 5 miles out.
Boy oh boy, it took me down single track twisting blind lanes with typical fen ditches either side, had i met another lorry weā€™d have had a serious problem, lots of lorries go this way no doubt following satnav cos the corners were all scrubbed down due to tyre wear.

Whilst tipping i got me trusty map out, and realised by travelling some 1 mile further i simply had to turn right out of the yard, travel about 2 miles on a decent B road to a cross roads, then turn left along an equally straightish fen road back to the main road, easy peasy.

You do not need a lorry sprecific satnav, you need a decent bridge height map, i prefer AA truckers atlas which is clearer to read than Philips, and a reasoanable satnav or google maps on your phone, google maps is brilliant for the live traffic, but Garmins Digi Traffic (must be digitraffic) runs it a close second place, plus you can let the satnav run 24/7 at no cost in data.
Satnavs are brilliant pocket sized street maps of the country, and a good way of confirming you are on the right road, good for spotting unmarked turnings in the dark, speed limits, camera sites etc.

A pro lorry driver should never allow a satnav to plan their route, that is your job via a map because itā€™s you not the bloody 'puter who is in charge of and responsible for the wagon, by all means program a reasonably priced satnav and confirm its looking at the same route and let it assit you along the way, for that purpose they are brilliant devices, but do not put your trust the bloody thing.

Google Maps on my mobile with HERE maps as an offline backup in the case of no network, Philips Truckers Atlas for bridge heights. Anything with weight limits or unsuitable for HGVs on isnā€™t guaranteed to be correct because unlike bridge heights there is no central database for either of those and Iā€™ve often found Copilot Truck which we have as part of the Microlise system trying to route me up roads you most certainly canā€™t get a lorry down.

Also canā€™t beat asking drivers whoā€™ve been there before because there are a lot of places where you need to approach from a certain direction otherwise you canā€™t get into it, usually because of how the car driving muppets on the industrial estate dump their cars.