Do you help another truck past or leave them?

If another truck is over taking you but you realise its a very slow overtake, like you are doing 55.5mph and they are passing at 56mph, do you knock a little bit off to let them get past you then flash them in then speed up again or do you leave them out there with the attitude of you chose to overtake me so you sort it out, and at the same both of you causing other road users to hate us either more by making a 56mph 2 or 3 lane road block?

Just curious because after a crash involving lorries car drivers were commenting on Twitter about lorries blocking 3 lanes to pass each other at half a mile an hour difference, and I agree it’s not very courteous is it and for the sake of that half a mile hour pretty pointless.

If someone’s inching up slowly and I can see traffic behind them then yes I’ll let off a bit and let them pass flashing them in as soon as they’ve past,same as if someone moves over to let me join off sliproads,if I’m matching there speed I’ll ease off flash them in then pull out and pass them if I’ve the pace…
It takes seconds to do and what does it really cost you time wise at the end of the day?

Many many times a day esp it seems when in a truck that does 56.

Can be a pain if you let one pass by dropping to say 52 and then a whole bunch behind you decide to overtake as they can do a whole 53…but then they’ll do 53 for the next 20 miles. Do you then reovertake or just sit there.

Ah well, sometimes its easiest to do 50 and wear out the main beam. :slight_smile:

If its a 2 lane road, yes. If its 3 or 4, no cars can still overtake and if the idiots want to sit behind him they can.

I’ll usually step off a bit and let them past. Many times Ive caught up to a slower wagon, moved out then the overtake is painfully slower than I thought it would be. We’ve all done it but if you expect someone to slow down a bit to help you out when youve made a misjudgment or thought you had the speed to do it quicker then its only fair you do it to others

if a see another truck struggling to pass me I ease off. as I only loose seconds anyway. best just let him get by don’t want him sat there staring at me for miles

Rowley010:
If another truck is over taking you but you realise its a very slow overtake, like you are doing 55.5mph and they are passing at 56mph, do you knock a little bit off to let them get past you then flash them in then speed up again or do you leave them out there with the attitude of you chose to overtake me so you sort it out, and at the same both of you causing other road users to hate us either more by making a 56mph 2 or 3 lane road block?

Just curious because after a crash involving lorries car drivers were commenting on Twitter about lorries blocking 3 lanes to pass each other at half a mile an hour difference, and I agree it’s not very courteous is it and for the sake of that half a mile hour pretty pointless.

I have a rule of thumb of sorts, if they haven’t passed me halfway in 10 seconds or so I’ll ease off to help em out, the exception being if going uphill or downhill then it’s all fair game :slight_smile: I’ll very rarely go out into lane 3 out of 4, only if the traffic is very light at that moment and if someone is overtaking me from lane 3 I’ll sometimes abandon my own overtake (slow down a lot) to let them in, again depending on traffic intensity/terrain

I tend to stick at 50. If they cannot get past me at that then it’s not my fault that they are driving a heap of ####.

Always.

The biggest thing I wish I did when I was a new pass. Rather than being on the limiter all the time. Lift off to let others past unless you are limited faster on the flat. I just take myself out of elephant racing straight away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I’m trying to overtake and I’ve misjudged it, I drop off and go back in as well.

The amount of blokes who misjudge it and won’t give up for miles on end is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit cancel and either let them in front of me or drop in behind depending if I’m the overtaken or the overtakee. Then whack on adaptive cruise control and happy days.

Odd days:
I tend to stick at 50. If they cannot get past me at that then it’s not my fault that they are driving a heap of ####.

50 !!! If you did less than 20 kms let alone miles below the road limit on the flat in CanAda youd get a ticket for impeding traffic…I would agree with them too…you are causing to many overtake maneuvers and are a hazard…you should at least have a flashing amber lamp at the back warning of a particularly slow moving vehicle

its seldom im in the position of being overtaken in normal circumstances unless its the donegal mafia or sometimes a scottish seafood mob.
i dont care what speed anyone else does unless they are holding me back and on the odd occasion that im being overtaken then ive no probs easing back a tad to let them past as im partial to let someone else shake the bushes depending on the location im in at the time.
it basically never ever happens on a normal 2 way road but there is the occasional occurrence on the motorway where manners ( and professionalism) dictates letting them crack on if their need is greater than mine. :slight_smile:

rsg1234567:

Odd days:

50 !!! If you did less than 20 kms let alone miles below the road limit on the flat in CanAda youd get a ticket for impeding traffic…I would agree with them too…you are causing to many overtake maneuvers and are a hazard…you should at least have a flashing amber lamp at the back warning of a particularly slow moving vehicle

I am pretty safe in betting your on a lot more money in Canada and younger. I only put my foot down if it’s for me or something in it for me.

Yesterday going down A1 by Doncaster, i gradually caught up to a Bower Green from Bradford lorry and went out to overtake and all of a sudden he found his accelerator and left me in lane 2 for ages leaving a long line of cars behind me. Eventually i overtook him and cut back in and he then decided to let his foot off the gas and i pulled away from him in no time.Why be a ■■■■ like he was?

Also on way up A1 near Foston later, after indicating to pull out into lane 2 and safely doing so, i overtook a lorry and went back into lane 1, only for the car behind me to drive past me with a old woman in passenger seat give me the nescafe shake :grimacing:

ArcticMonkey:
Why be a [zb] like he was?

Who knows, maybe he was on his phone or he was rolling a cigarette or having lunch etc. Few days ago I almost went into panic mode when the lorry I was overtaking on a dual carriageway suddenly crossed into my lane almost full wheel, then corrected and as we evened up I saw him holding a fork (a proper, metal one) in his left hand and what looked like a noodle pot in his right one, leaning on the steering wheel and using his left elbow to steer/keep it straight…

No hard and fast rules here, every situation judged on its merits.
Sadly the car drivers with class 1 licences don’t have the foggiest about road courtesy, and they are now in the majority.

If im on a motorway , duel carrage way etc and someone is really struggling to get past then ill ease it off a little. But what i hate is for example when me and a truck have both for example come of a roundabout at the same time and im loaded and hes behind me and instantly goes to overtake me without giving me 60 seconds to get up to the limiter and then realises hes doing 53 and im doing 55 or exactly the same speed as me i will happily leave them in lane 2 all day long for not giving me a few seconds to get my speed up and for there blatant arrogance.

I always slow down for a bit and let them pass, nothing more annoying than overtaking a fully loaded rubbish bulker when I’m empty up a hill only to have it level out and them match your speed for a mile. Especially when you’re on a two lane road with an impatient Scottish/ Irish Scania V8 with a magnet on the tacho up your arse waiting to overtake both of you!

Baldy91:
If im on a motorway , duel carrage way etc and someone is really struggling to get past then ill ease it off a little. But what i hate is for example when me and a truck have both for example come of a roundabout at the same time and im loaded and hes behind me and instantly goes to overtake me without giving me 60 seconds to get up to the limiter and then realises hes doing 53 and im doing 55 or exactly the same speed as me i will happily leave them in lane 2 all day long for not giving me a few seconds to get my speed up and for there blatant arrogance.

That does irritate me as well actually. I’m heavy and he’s empty or light load, and he doesn’t give you a chance to see what speed your going up to. Only to find he’s doing 50-53 and your going up to 55. So back out overtake, back in, next roundabout he’s again too impatient to let you accelerate to 55, so he moves out overtakes and goes up to 53 then you move out… well actually a second time I just leave it and do his speed until we either take different routes or get onto a motorway. Due to someone else being impatient you then have to go slower though :unamused: