Lorry watch schemes

Has anyone had any run in’s with any of these so called “Lorry watch” enforcers?

I was delivering to a farm outside Maidstone that was in a 7.5t limit,this Ford Kuga overtakes me and stops in front of me. I’d just assumed something was wrong at the back so I got out and asked if everything was ok. This posh couple get out and tell me I’ve illegally entered a 7.5t zone. I explained I was delivering to a farm in the zone and they actually had the cheek to ask to see my paperwork! I politely told them to ring the company and then they told me they were reporting me to “trading standards” hah! I told them they’d probably be better of reporting me to DVSA.

Why do these bloody councils humour people like this. It’s not like we want to take our trucks down narrow roads! It’s not the first time - I constantly have people flag me down or wave at me when I’m delivering within a 7.5t.

Anyone else had any run ins with these clowns and what exactly happens when they report you to the council? Is it down to me to keep a copy of the manifest until it comes back or is it down to the company.

Firstly I think it is Trading Standards that deal with it.

Secondly I’d inform your company of the incident, so they can keep evidence of the delivery, just in case it gets followed up.

Thirdly, maybe you should have locked the doors, called the police and said you think you’re being hijacked when they pulled in front of you. :laughing:

Hah! Trust me if I was running under ADR I’d have been straight on the phone calling in a hijacking. I’d love to see them explain that to police.

best way to interact with these wazzocks is to just laugh in their face and treat them with the indifferent contempt that they deserve…works for me anytime im in similar situations.
just laugh them off and watch their faces go purple with indignation.
give them no credibility and dont interact with them,just dismiss them by laughing in their faces. ( off camera then so what you want outwith anyone elses earshot) :slight_smile:

Rickers:
Why do these bloody councils humour people like this. It’s not like we want to take our trucks down narrow roads! It’s not the first time - I constantly have people flag me down or wave at me when I’m delivering within a 7.5t.

Annoying as they are if you have a legitimate reason to be there, they do it because some truck drivers do ignore the 7.5t limit, and use them as rat runs, although you’ll probably find they have a certain amount of influence in the local council to get a 7.5t weight limit.

The town where I used to live and work from had several low bridges, which meant you had to divert through a residential area, (this was the official diversion before the HTT brigade get their knickers in a twist). There were 2 streets which lead back to the main road, both were the same width, both had cars parked on them, one went past the council houses, one went past the nice big town houses, which road do you think the official diversion was on? :wink:

I have had this in Cambridgeshire, same thing, going to a farm…I stepped from my cab and said nothing, not a word, whilst filming it all on my phone, at no point did I interact with the persons in any way, it was very amusing for me.
I like to remain silent, people don`t know what to do with silence.

this brings back memories, back in the early 80’s I was delivering 3 piece suites nationwide it was somewhere in Wiltshire when I drove into a village and stopped to ask a bloke where x road was all ok and headed down the road to deliver. 100 yds were a group of women with kids and started screaming at me “stay on the by pass”…
anyhow I just smiled a plodded on to the house I was delivering to.got out the cab and knocked on door just as two of the nimbys who were screaming at me rolled up the road… guess what happened next?

yep, one of them was the person waiting for her new suite, the next 10 mins was full of cringy creeping apoligies…
offers of tea and a 2 quid tip… armholes…

m.a.n rules:
this brings back memories, back in the early 80’s I was delivering 3 piece suites nationwide it was somewhere in Wiltshire when I drove into a village and stopped to ask a bloke where x road was all ok and headed down the road to deliver. 100 yds were a group of women with kids and started screaming at me “stay on the by pass”…
anyhow I just smiled a plodded on to the house I was delivering to.got out the cab and knocked on door just as two of the nimbys who were screaming at me rolled up the road… guess what happened next?

yep, one of them was the person waiting for her new suite, the next 10 mins was full of cringy creeping apoligies…
offers of tea and a 2 quid tip… armholes…

Now if this story had been told in the RDC waiting room, the lady would have dropped to her knees, and showed her appreciation…

I await to hear it, once the ex-regiment, balcony brigade read it.

Now if this story had been told in the RDC waiting room, the lady would have dropped to her knees, and showed her appreciation…

trust me mate if she had dropped to her knee’s the only thing she would of got would of been a slap across the chops with my 10 incher (slight exaggeration :wink: ) she was a munter… :laughing:

I would not have even got into conversation with the snivelling little sh.
He would have got a very short answer, 2 words, 2 syllables, with a very menacing look for having the ■■■■ audacity to… stop me. :open_mouth:
I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck even by just imagining it. :imp:

I hate those type of self appointed law enforcers with a vengeance, you should have rammed him up the arse when he pulled in front of you.

Next time you get stopped you could put a dress on and call the Police to report a transphobic hate crime. :laughing:

robroy:
He would have got a very short answer, 2 words, 2 syllables, with a very menacing look for having the [zb] audacity to… stop me. :open_mouth:

I hate those type of self appointed law enforcers with a vengeance, you should have rammed him up the arse when he pulled in front of you.

bloody hell rob, are you stuck in a lay.bye miles from a pub :laughing:

p.s i share your sentiments. :wink:

Rickers:
Has anyone had any run in’s with any of these so called “Lorry watch” enforcers?

I was delivering to a farm outside Maidstone that was in a 7.5t limit,this Ford Kuga overtakes me and stops in front of me. I’d just assumed something was wrong at the back so I got out and asked if everything was ok. This posh couple get out and tell me I’ve illegally entered a 7.5t zone. I explained I was delivering to a farm in the zone and they actually had the cheek to ask to see my paperwork! I politely told them to ring the company and then they told me they were reporting me to “trading standards” hah! I told them they’d probably be better of reporting me to DVSA.

Anyone else had any run ins with these clowns and what exactly happens when they report you to the council? Is it down to me to keep a copy of the manifest until it comes back or is it down to the company.

Please tell me it was in Leeds, Kent. Maybe B2163■■ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I expect this was the B2163 through Leeds village ( just of J8 M20). I can’t swear to it because there are other smaller farms along the road, but many of the lorries which still use the road are going to J Chambers and son, Oakdene Farm, Plough Wents rd Langley. This is 100 yards from The A274 at the Langley end of the road, but drivers don’t feel like driving through Maidstone to get to it so approach from Leeds Castle end. The reason for this Lorry Watch Scheme at this location is the numbers of cretins who manage to meet another artic on the hill at a blind bend with a very solid wall on one side and trees tight to the other side. The result is the two lorries get wedged together and it requires recovery to pull them apart.

Personally I love the idea that it costs the companies about £400 to get their lorry free and then a bit more to repair all the damage.

m.a.n rules:

robroy:
He would have got a very short answer, 2 words, 2 syllables, with a very menacing look for having the [zb] audacity to… stop me. :open_mouth:

:

Nah, you know me better than that man. :smiley:
On me second pint of John Smiths which is washing down my sirloin steak and chips. :sunglasses:
Feel much better now, that guy does not sound SO bad in fact after all. :laughing:

cav551:
The reason for this Lorry Watch Scheme at this location is the numbers of cretins who manage to meet another artic on the hill at a blind bend with a very solid wall on one side and trees tight to the other side. The result is the two lorries get wedged together and it requires recovery to pull them apart.

This can’t be real… :laughing: :smiley:

I have found plenty of precious people that tell me where I can’t drive my lorry. I once had cones accross some spaces in a council car park waiting for one car to move so I could park accoss the spaces and deliver the trailer (Mobile medical unit). One car came in and moved a cone to park, I ask them nicely to use one of the spaces that don’t have a cone in (Not rocket science im thinking) and I get some out burst about the problem with carnival folk parking in here, im not aloud in here blah blah blah, so I point at the massive NHS sticker on the side of the lorry (No mention of dodgem rides) and they still ask if I have permission just incase I tour the UK randomly setting up breast screeners where ever I please.

It felt like 5mins of my life wasted when I could have been watching Netflix just so they would move the car 5 spaces away in a car park :smiling_imp:

One of our guys got caught last week, went through a 7.5t. To be fair he shouldn’t have, there was another route he could have gone and wasn’t delivering in the limit, he just took a shortcut. We’ve had an email from someone, I presume TS, asking why he was there, weight of lorry etc.
Just waiting to see the outcome… Probably be sent to prison for 20 years minimum I reckon.

And don’t forget the OAP coffin dodgers at Bradford on Avon who wear hiviz with police written on them , not sure if that’s allowed as its an offence to impersonate a police officer .
Sad gits need to get a life and be spending their offspring’s inheritance money not stood on a medieval bridge grassing up drivers for no pay .
18 ton limit , so empty artics think they are ok and didn’t realize it’s the gross vehicle weight they get you for .

robroy:

m.a.n rules:

robroy:

:

Nah, you know me better than that man. :smiley:
On me second pint of John Smiths which is washing down my sirloin steak and chips. :sunglasses:
Feel much better now, that guy does not sound SO bad in fact after all. :laughing:

phew thank god for that. I had visions of you starving, not sleeping and making yourself very sore… :wink: :laughing: